The Real O'Neals impressions

Drtooth

Reaction score
Have to admit, I enjoyed the last episode more than the others. It really does feel like they should have stretched some things out more to give the series more depth. The divorce aspect seems to be zooming along, and it seems to me they would run out of transitional divorce material by the end of the season.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Have to admit, I enjoyed the last episode more than the others. It really does feel like they should have stretched some things out more to give the series more depth. The divorce aspect seems to be zooming along, and it seems to me they would run out of transitional divorce material by the end of the season.
I did like that little detail in that Kenny was unable to get in trouble because punishing him would be seen as discrimination against his sexuality. I also liked that precision F-strike with the "gay F-word".

mr3urious

Reaction score
I think this show is really coming into its own. I like how Kenny struggles with his gay identity, seemingly going between camp gay and straight gay in terms of archetypes. I also liked last night's episode about the gay coffee house (that was just your ordinary coffee house that just so happens to serve gay clientele), and I really enjoyed the episode before it where their bigoted grandma came to visit and had Kenny come out in front of her against his mom's rules.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit, this series is pretty good in its own right, just the conflict of it being the thing that was the seasonal replacement for The Muppets, a show we won't even know the fate of for another few weeks, and considering a "what if" there's a possibility this could get picked up and not the thing we want to get picked up is unsettling. I really didn't want to hate on this show and wanted to give it a chance. The previews looked terribly made and focus on the more obvious jokes that are at least better in context, but I gave it a shot and felt it was decent. The show is becoming actually good once it shed its, I'll say "American Dad Factor" and the characters became a little more fleshed out and the jokes didn't come off repetitive and hammering the concept down. While I don't think it's as good as most of the Wednesday line up (The Middle's really starting to lose me, and it really needs to end on a high note), or quite as good as Fresh off the Boat, it's hardly the weakest sitcom in ABC's line up.

I mean, if there was a chance that The Muppets and this could both be renewed and Last Man Standing got canned and one of them could get that slot, I'm all for more O'Neals. Even if O'Neals was a seasonal replacement when its renewed and switches off with something, I'd push for it. I have to admit, I'm slightly disappointed with the one time I watched Dr. Ken. I want to like it. I really do. Maybe it wasn't that good an episode, but I feel the cast is far stronger than the material, and said material is holding them back. I really love Ken Jeong, especially in Community and even Bob's Burgers where he's Dr. Yap. I just think he's a little too grounded here. And it's got David Foley and the guy who played Ogo on Robot and Monster who was also in better off Ted. The cast is funny, but it feels like just a step up from the mediocre TGIF type sitcom, but not a step more. Then again, for the past few weeks before Nick started just running their live action sitcoms and movies, I was always cued up for Pig Goat Banana Cricket. Otherwise I would have watched more episodes of Ken. And Last Man Standing is the Mallard Fillmore of sitcoms. It's just there to counterbalance the more liberally written shows, and it's not even good at that. Even if it wasn't, it's just...2000 era ABC sitcom bad. There's not a single likable character in it, and it hurts me to watch it because I do like Tim Allen. I liked Home Improvement, I love Buzz Lightyear (though I did like Patrick Warburton in the cartoon a bit more). Just to see him as an unlikable jerk ranting about his equally unlikable whiny jerk Son in Law or whatever. Just...yuck.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The Real O' Neals hit a 0.8 last night in the ratings, that ties The Muppets season low. Now I'm not hating on the show, but I really hope they renew muppets over this if it comes to that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe these Tuesday Night shows wouldn't have been such a ratings disaster had it not been for the constant primary coverage. People might still have been voting up until the polls closed, some local networks probably blotted out the night's programming. Or maybe people are just tuning in for the weaker in quality, stronger in viewership competition of NCIS. Or The Flash, which I'd watch otherwise.

On the plus side, it seems that Fox finally put Grandfathered out of its misery. At least the Muppets doesn't look like that big a failure.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Maybe these Tuesday Night shows wouldn't have been such a ratings disaster had it not been for the constant primary coverage. People might still have been voting up until the polls closed, some local networks probably blotted out the night's programming. Or maybe people are just tuning in for the weaker in quality, stronger in viewership competition of NCIS. Or The Flash, which I'd watch otherwise.

On the plus side, it seems that Fox finally put Grandfathered out of its misery. At least the Muppets doesn't look like that big a failure.
Grandfathered has like 3 episodes left to air, for whatever reason they kept airing repeats of it, but ratings are awful, so don't expect it to return, they should have aired more Brooklyn Nine Nine repeats so it wouldn't have to end so early this season.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fox was a lot prouder of Grandfathered on lower than low ratings than ABC was of The Muppets when their ratings weren't great. I watched some of it once and while I give them credit for an originalish concept, it simply wasn't good. Never got to see any Grinder episodes, but I get the appeal of Rob Lowe being a self absorbed, oblivious doofus. I mean, I'm kinda devastated Moonbeam City died in 10 episodes (but not surprised).

mr3urious

Reaction score
I liked the nuance of the season 2 premiere in that Kenny was confident in coming out to his parents, but that didn't necessarily mean that the lesbian girl who was the only one who showed up to his LGBT Club was the same, as her parents are much stricter and would threaten to kick her out of the house if she were gay. Kenny should thank his lucky stars that his mom isn't like that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what made this episode great. A level of dark reality context to kids afraid to come out. Certainly they couldn't make the entire series about Kenny fighting his parents who wish to disown them. Instead, they made it a strong possibility for another character.

Also, I like to think that Kenny isn't quite above it all and in his quest to become more excepted and have some gay friends, he kinda forgot that lesbians exist. I did like how he realized his coming out wasn't everyone else's experience, and that giving that sort of advice, taking it for granted, he forgot that others have far worse parents.

I'm really loving how this series has come together since last season.