The sad state of GSN

hemlock

Reaction score
Hi. As many of you know, the state of GSN today is in dire straits. The've slowly taken away the classics(the good ones) and replacing it with too much Carnie Wilson among other things(the bad ones). If I was running that network, one thing was simple: keep the Goodson-Todman shows. I just finally got GSN last year and enjoyed it a great deal. But a strange thing happened on the way to heaven. They started eating away the good ones(the classics) and I stopped watching it altogether. Only the Match Game and Family Feud shows are the only things that still keeping me glued to the network. What do you think about the sad state of GSN? Thank You.

Steve

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I was rather upset by the fact they added a REALITY show recently. I mean, what does the GS in GSN stand for? GAME Show! Save that reality show stuff for RSN or whatever it's called. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is a rant I've been getting on for years now, and even I am sick of it.

Here's the short story:

The age of the genre/niche market network are DEAD....Dee eee ay dee dead. Murdered, even.

I could get on a nice long 20 paragraph rant about how these networks are run by know nothing idiots who want to put "I owned a network" on their resume who are literally crapping their pants because they don't know what to do with their rapidly deteriorating medium, only helping speed up its obsolesce. But I've said that millions of times by now. The only way they think they can get the big fat ratings away from everything else is to run crummy knockoffs of everything else in a slim and vain chance they'll get one general viewer, while losing the faithful regulars by the minute.

Cartoon Network doesn't want to run cartoons anymore, TV Land doesn't want to run old TV shows anymore, Channels that run nothing but movies want original programming, channels that run original programming want to run movies... and here's the worst part:

NONE of our complaints even matter.

They brush off the faithful they alienated because they're not the hipsters that watch the same 8 reality shows on broadcast. And those "hipsters" are quite happy NOT watching the specialty networks, no matter what they run. And they don't care about us. Again,
NONE of our complaints even matter. We're howling at the moon.

And YES... reality shows. The end all be all of TV. Every single network is now required by law to have at least 7 on their schedule. They;re nice little non-union shows that can toss fleeting fame and a less than 1 million dollar prize at one person... which is a lot cheaper than paying trained actors. It's TV's equivalent of the sweatshop.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hi. As many of you know, the state of GSN today is in dire straits. The've slowly taken away the classics(the good ones) and replacing it with too much Carnie Wilson among other things(the bad ones). If I was running that network, one thing was simple: keep the Goodson-Todman shows. I just finally got GSN last year and enjoyed it a great deal. But a strange thing happened on the way to heaven. They started eating away the good ones(the classics) and I stopped watching it altogether. Only the Match Game and Family Feud shows are the only things that still keeping me glued to the network. What do you think about the sad state of GSN? Thank You.

Steve
Drtooth pretty much summed it up.