The Sesame Street ABC Storybook

Censored

Reaction score
This was a great book from 1974 with illustrated Sesame Street stories for every letter of the alphabet. Some stories were longer than others. Some of these illustrated stories may have been reprinted in the Sesame Street Treasury, mentioned in another thread. I don't know if any of the stories were acted out as muppet skits, but some were definitely loosely based on some of the television skits.

I found the last one about the letter Z to be particularly interesting. Lefty convinces Ernie to buy a Z, so he won't be emarassed if someone asks him about a word that starts with Z or if he's on a game show. After Ernie buys it, Guy Smiley and his TV crew offer Lefty two million dollars, a trip around the world, and a carton full of raincoats if he can tell them what is the first letter in the word "zero". Lefty doesn't know and runs after Ernie, shouting, "Hey, kid! Come back with that letter!!!" It's funny that when I was 5 and first saw the picture of Lefty running away, I thought that he was scared to have his face on television since he was a crook.

Drtooth

Reaction score
From the title of the post, I thought you were talking about the Sesame Street Storybook ABC's book, which is much different. It has several illustrations of ABC's pretaining to different fairy tales. I.E. P was for Pig in the Three Little Pigs. This was the only Sesame book I know of to feature Kermit the Frog (F for Frog in the Frog prince). Plus there was a picture of Miss Piggy hanging on the Little Pig's wall.

salemfan

Reaction score
I know this book, and my favorite story was the V skit entitled, "The Amazing Mumford's Vanishing Trick." I laughed a lot about it. I thought it was funny that Mumford's clothes vanished and he was in his underwear with the violin still there.