The Sound FX Character

RubbeRoomStudio

Reaction score
i know i'm not crazy, but everyone around me thinks i am... and i know there was a puppet on Sesame Street that when he opened his mouth, Sound FX came out... i just know here was such a character... if anyone knows, please tell me i'm not crazy...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
No, you're not crazy... At least, not when it comes to the topic of the question for this thread.

The character you're thinking of is named Simon the Sound Man, he looks almost identical to Mr. Johnson (Grover's customer in the Charlie's Restaurant sketches), except that Simon has black hair and mustache and also wears a sort of blueish hat.
Hope this helps, have a good night.

BEAR

Reaction score
I always wondered what happened to that character. Was there ever an explanation as to why he was written out?

Mistoffelees

Reaction score
Yeah- the sound effects kept getting too expensive or something.

wiley207

Reaction score
When the show originally started, until the late 80s, the show usually had quite weird, spacey sound effects (similar to the SFX on the Gene Deitch "Tom and Jerry" cartoons, some of the sounds from those cartoons also showed up on "Sesame Street"). They also used the same thunderclap sound whenever the Count would laugh...

http://www.brandens.net/files/Sounds/FX/Nature/WIND_THN.WAV

Most of the SFX on the show started having a "reverb" echo around the 80s so they began using newer, CD-quality sound effects then.