The Steven Universe thread

snichols1973

Reaction score
Season 3 debuted last night with "Super Watermelon Island", as a callback follow-up to "Watermelon Steven" and "Jail Break", and Alexandrite re-appears for the first time since her debut in "Fusion Cuisine", followed by "Gem Drill"...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit...

That wrapped up a little faster than I expected. Maybe Jasper falling into the Earth's core will wind up having some effect on the plot, and give them the "Not out of the woods just yet" twist to bring this to a more satisfying conclusion.

It was great, though, that Steven used his mother's tactics of love and understanding to calm the Cluster down. I expected it to be a bigger struggle though.

Also, considering that Steven can control a Watermelon Warrior, anyone else think that Rose is actually the one controlling Lion? That's the theory that she's either controlling Lion from where ever she is or she is Lion.

Also...don't know if this is intentional or just something that worked out that way... apparently the hair on he back of Steven's head is perfectly rose shaped. Now, I don't know if this was something intentionally done by the design team or if it's a happy accident by Funko, but if you have the Steven Universe Funko Pop (good luck with that), the back of his head looks like a rose. Maybe I'll post a picture or something.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It was really sweet seeing Steven and Peridot interact as they drilled their way toward the Cluster. We even discover that Peri was a Homeworld Gem just like Amethyst.

mr3urious

Reaction score
What a nice Lapis-centered episode. Steven uses his powers of kindness and understanding to encourage her to stay on Earth. We even got some extra backstory about her plight.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, I'm excited about the level of tension between Peridot and Lapus they established just as the episode ended.

I'm guessing everyone else got the subtle Aladdin reference, especially in the title. The scene with Jasmine and Aladdin on the flying carpet, of course. Music even seemed to hint at it.

Also, surprising that it's revealed that Lapus pretty much has no love for the Homeworld Gems or the Rebel Gems and becomes a gem without a planet. The Homeworld Gems didn't seem to care that they broke her down to her base form and used her as a magic mirror, the Rebel Gems just not knowing what it exactly was. Starting to think the reason Garnet wanted Steve to leave the mirror alone that badly was because she saw into the future enough to see what would go down.

Hope this means Lapus is a semi-regular on the show from now on.

mr3urious

Reaction score
We get a baseball episode this time, but it's used to distract a group of Homeworld Rubies and protect Peridot. I loved how the Rubies had different personalities here, suggesting that even your standard Gem soldiers can have some differences among them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Rubies back in "The Answer" were much more like-minded and identical. Glad that they've ditched that to make them all slightly different right down to their subtle shades of red difference. Also liked how they were pretty...dumb. Not to mention the subtext of Peridot being considered completely unimportant (they were looking for Jasper instead), so she was fearing for her life for nothing.

That said, I'm disappointed that CN didn't air the following episode at the end of the 4 week "event." I watched ahead, and that would have been the perfect take a break point. Which is...

Steven return home after all this time to find all the food in the fridge spoiled, but finds that Big Donut closed for the night before he could pick one up. It's revealed that they can make their own donuts again and is promised the first fresh one of the morning if he shows up in time. He becomes so happy about this, another power is revealed. The Power of flight, which of course, he can't control.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Will probably catch the big two-hour presentation of all In Too Deep episodes strung together later today or on the weekend. Seems like there might be room for Peridot and Lapis to become a 2nd Gem Unit given how they may or may not integrate into the overall storyline. *Shrugs.