"The Sunshine Factory"---anybody else remember this show?

quinli

Reaction score
I remember the Sunshine Factory! In fact, I was searching for a DVD of it when I found Muppet Central. I wanted to show my daughters the Smudge clips from the show. Smudge was the best part of Sunshine Factory. Anybody else remember these favorite quotes?

"Hey, sock. Dirty old sock. Flip flop, flip flop"

"Hi Fuzz-Walkie. I like you. You ('re) fuzzy like me."

"Little Red Pig at the library, Little Red Pig at the farm, Little Red Pig at the county fair. I'm turning into a little red pig, too - Oink!"

"Crabtree! Crabtree! The pipe wants to talk to you!"

Computer: Where is Mr. Crabtree?
Smudge (with his inability to pronounce "r's": Cwabtwee's sweeping.
Computer: Did you say Mr. Crabtree is sweeping?
Smudge: That's what I said; he's sweeping.
Computer: Is that sweeping, as in swish, swish, swish?
Smudge: No! That's sweeping, as in sno-wah (snore) sno-wah, snow-ah!

"Whoa-ho-ho!" Smudge's lament, with ears down and face crumpled.

Oh, I wish I could get a copy of these segments!

peachesncream

Reaction score
i remember the sunshine factory.i was really into the get along gang if any one remebers them.of course strawberry shortcake and the care bears too.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
quinli said:
"Crabtree! Crabtree! The pipe wants to talk to you!"
The pipe! Yes, the pipe! I forgot about that, thanks! :big_grin:

quinli said:
Computer: Where is Mr. Crabtree?
Smudge (with his inability to pronounce "r's": Cwabtwee's sweeping.
Computer: Did you say Mr. Crabtree is sweeping?
Smudge: That's what I said; he's sweeping.
Computer: Is that sweeping, as in swish, swish, swish?
Smudge: No! That's sweeping, as in sno-wah (snore) sno-wah, snow-ah!

"Whoa-ho-ho!" Smudge's lament, with ears down and face crumpled.
LOL! Cute lil' Smudge---love it! And I agree, he was the best!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
peachesncream, I too love The Get-Along Gang and the Care Bears and Care Bear Cousins. :smile:

quinli, I see you're in TN---I'm in KY myself, so I guess we were exposed to a lot of the same wonderful children's entertainment ("The Sunshine Factory", PBS's "The Letter People", "We Live Next Door", "Readalong" and more)...did you ever see "Under the Umbrella Tree" or "Fred Penner's Place" or "Mr. Dressup"? Those were three more shows I LOVED to watch at my grandparents' on satellite...*sigh*, those were the days...:flirt:

peachesncream

Reaction score
i remmeber under the umbrella tree and those wonderful letter people....abcd follow me.....

quinli

Reaction score
Yes, I Remember

Janice & Mokey's Man said:
peachesncream, I too love The Get-Along Gang and the Care Bears and Care Bear Cousins. :smile:

quinli, I see you're in TN---I'm in KY myself, so I guess we were exposed to a lot of the same wonderful children's entertainment ("The Sunshine Factory", PBS's "The Letter People", "We Live Next Door", "Readalong" and more)...did you ever see "Under the Umbrella Tree" or "Fred Penner's Place" or "Mr. Dressup"? Those were three more shows I LOVED to watch at my grandparents' on satellite...*sigh*, those were the days...:flirt:

I remember The Letter People :

"Come and meet the Letter People
Come and meet our family
Words are made of Letter People
A-B-C-D, Follow Me!"

I also loved Readalong, although there is only one segment that has stayed with enough that I can quote it. Do you remember the skeleton? I think his name was Mr. Bones. He sang a song about his old army days. The first verse went like this:

"He whispered, he shouted, he asked, he said, 'What's with you?'
He whispered, he shouted, he asked, he said, 'What's with you?'
He whispered, he shouted, he asked, he said,
'Hinky Dinky, why aren't you in bed?
Hinky Dinky, what's with you?"

The song goes on to tell about Hinky Dinky, the soldier who couldn't sleep without his teddy bear. I thought that was hilarious, and still catch myself singing it today, 28 years later (gosh, has it really been that long?)

Unfortunately, I never got to see the other shows you remember. That was back in the days when we only had PBS and the 3 networks channeled in through the big, tall antenna in our back yard.

Quinli

Convincing John

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:

Readalong??? I remember that show! It had the talking boot in it, and...some explorer dude and a grandmother. It was by some of the same people who made "Today's Special", right?

And yeah, I remember "The Sunshine Factory" too, but I've only seen some bits of it here and there. I remember the characters, though. Anyone ever seen "Peppermint Place?"

Convincing John

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Yeah, I have "The Letter People" on DVD, and I LOVE 'em! :big_grin:

Yes, Bones! quinli, that's so cool that you remember a song from that. The show also featured "Boot" and "Pretty" the shoe and The Explorer, and the talking house. "We Live Next Door" was a similar-style show with a black lady mayor and a lady squirrel I think (lol).

Do y'all remember between shows sometimes PBS would air segments of "Clyde Frog"? This was a puppet of a green frog whose friends would warn him of safety and caution, but he would never listen and always end up hurt. For example, I remember once he was riding a bike, and a friend/friends advised him to be careful, but Clyde ignored them and ended up falling off the bike. These were very low-budget productions with puppets and a few background/prop pieces against a black background (like the first several "Letter People" episodes).

Also, there was an animated 2 or 3 minute segment called "Animal Alphabet" that would also air between some shows. It showed a cartoon jungle and an animated owl would take a clay pot, put his wing in, pull out a letter, show it to us, and then he would point the pot at the screen and we would "go in". Inside it was space, and objects beginning with that letter would slowly float by. Then the owl would reach his wing in (still from the view of inside the pot, so we'd only see his wing), try to grab the letter, and pull it out. And there was a little catchy instrumental tune to bring the program in and out.

peachesncream

Reaction score
i can't believe you have the letter peole on dvd......one of my first memoried was watching that show.how did you get it?
i don't remember those other shows but i remember today's special.i loved jeff as a child.