1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The "Surprise" Song

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by bigbird, Nov 14, 2005.

1. bigbird

bigbird New Member

OK folks here's another one for you ol' SS buffs like me. Remember the "Surprise" song that was sung by a bunch of I think 50's style muppets? The lyrics went something like..."ooh-aah-do, ooh-aah-do...be du ooh-aah do surprise...oh something suddenly happens when you can't believe your eyes...it's a surpri..i i ise!" Then the Bass singer comes forward and says "Do you know what a surprise is now, we're gonna show you one more time" Then it switches to a scene on SS with one skit involving Susan and Oscar. It seemed that Oscar gave Susan a present which turned out to be a snake can and she was "surprised" when the snake popped out! Then it goes back to the singing muppets again repeating the same lyrics as before and then a few more illustrations of surprise. What were the other illustrations? Anyone remember? what episode was this found on? Anyone have a copy?

2. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

If this is the surprise song I remember, it featured much of the cast demonstrating "surprise" with a lot of slapstick humor.

Some highlights:

Bob: Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water...
    Cast: SURPRIIIIIIISE!!! as Bob gets a bucket of water dumped on him.

Gordon's in a supermarket: You're in the supermarket
    And suddenly you start
    The groceries start moving
    There's a monster in your cart!
    Monster: SURPRIIIIISE!!! and starts rolling Gordon's cart away

Bob: Mary had a little lamb, his fleece was white as snow...
    Cast: SURPRIIIIISE!!!! as Bob gets buried under an avalanche of snow.

Big Bird: Today it is your birthday
    You're feeling kind of rotten
    Noone seems to be around
    And everyone's forgotten
    (Big Bird goes into Hooper's store and sees a birthday cake)
    and everyone yells "SURPRISE!!!!!!!"
    A few verses, Mr. Hooper holds up a tiny sweater to Big Bird
    Hooper: I hope this is your size!

Then everyone in the cast yells "SURPRISE" and gets hit with a pie.
    When it's Maria's turn, she gets hit with a pie, then takes off a mask.
    Maria: "DISGUISE!" then gets another pie in the face.

The song ends with the whole cast singing "Everyone loves a SURPRISE!!"
    and with the help of some video wizardry, a pie comes flying right at us, the unsuspecting viewers . SPLAT!!!!

3. bigbird

bigbird New Member

I think you have that one confused with the one I had mentioned about...but yours does sound somewhat familiar, but I don't think it was the same one.

4. bigbird

bigbird New Member

Actually, I think the skit I'm talking about was even before Maria was in the show at all. So it can't be it. Sorry, but nice try anyway!

5. SesameMike

SesameMike Member

I remember that song/skit! There was one break point in the song where Bert was sitting calmly and reading in the apartment, when Herry monster sneaks up behind him and suddenly shouted "reh-heh-heh-heheheheh". Bert, not the slightest bit scared, says in a calm but ticked voice, "Would you please stop that? I'm trying to read my book."

Another breakpoint had someone reponding negatively, possibly with an unpleasant cry and/or scream. They cut back to the band and sang "A surprise can be really scary, a surprise can make you ---" (the blank was either cry/sad/mad, can't remember which)

6. bigbird

bigbird New Member

Yes yes yes! That's the one!

7. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

oh yeah. I think it was little Jerry & The Monotones singing.

8. PumpkinJ

PumpkinJ New Member

Don't wanna bump the thread, but I found the one with the Little Jerry-esque hippies from 1970, but it's not full, though. I added a couple of English audio pieces during the first verse and at the end of the song. Everything else is foreign-dubbed, I used some sources (with the N3 bug) from the 2-hour special "Lange Sesamstraßen Nacht" to splice in some higher-quality video sources, and used the (low-quality) Hebrew sources as well.

I found the other song by Big Bird, Grover, Bob, and the cast from 1975 as well.

9. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Um, if you didn't want to bump this thread.... why did you do it in the first place? :rolleyes:

Better term would be, "Sorry to bump this thread."

Froggy Fool likes this.
  10. PumpkinJ

PumpkinJ New Member

Oh, yeah, didn't know that. Sorry. :oops: