The Tie That Binds

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Since my new job sometimes has me REALLY busy and sometimes REALLY not, I decided I needed something constructive to do with the times I'm not busy and am basically here to look pretty (I'm front desk support for those who don't know). So, I've started a new fan fic. This one is a sequel to my story from last summer "Where the Heart Leads You" which I have posted a link to herehttp://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=20881. Anyway, here is a preview and chapter one will be up tomorrow!
Oh yeah, it's another Rowlf story. :smile:

Preview:

Now that he had found his family again, Rowlf usually looked forward to the calls he received from them. They had arranged to call him about once a week, always on Fridays. He always chuckled at this. Friday was the busiest day in the Muppet Theatre because it was the day they performed their big show, but nonetheless, all of the various Muppets spent this day getting in touch with family.

On this particular day when Scooter told him his mother was on the phone Rowlf’s heart started to pound a little faster. It was Tuesday.

“Mom?” asked Rowlf when he got on the phone.

“How are you dear?” asked Felicia, Rowlf’s mother.

“I’m fine Mom, how are you? What’s going on?” asked Rowlf.

“Can’t a mother call her son without something going on?” asked Felicia but her quivering voice gave her away.

“I know something is wrong. Is it you?” said Rowlf concerned.

“Fine. You’re right Rowlf. Something is wrong. But it’s not me. It’s your brother Moe,” said Felicia.

“What’s up with Moe? Barking after too many cars?” asked Rowlf attempting to lighten the mood.

“No, um, he’s in the hospital. The doctors think he may have cancer,” said Felicia, barely uttering the final words.

Rowlf dropped the phone.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Not sure... The preview's great...
Love how you're tieing in to that the Muppets get calls from their family on Friday, so why shouldn't Rowlf's be the same.

Know this'll have its moments, both the good and the teary... But for the pivot of the story that Rowlf's brother Moe has cancer?
Not sure... I'm not saying that two authors can't deal with the same subject... You could certainly go down this road if it's what you've chosen...
It's just... Well, Lisa covered it so perfectly in Swamp Call with Kermit and Jane... And to go through that again, where it's a direct relation between brothers this time...

Like I said, not sure how to feel. But I do hope you post the story, whatever you decide it'll tackle.
*Hugs to you Beth, and good luck with the job and the story and everything else.

RedDragon

Reaction score
It's always good to get different prespectives...can't wait for more...

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
If it's written by Beth, it HAS to be great!:wink: Sounds like it's going to be really touching. Will I need my teddy bear?:big_grin: :halo:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Well....I guess I'll proceed with caution. I am certainly not intending to take away any of the integrity of Lisa's Swamp Call nor did I mean for this to be similar in anyway. So, I'll go ahead and post chapter one tomorrow like I planned and we'll just see how it goes.

Thanks for the compliment Muppet Matt! Yeah, you might want to grab your teddy bear, although just because the preview seems ominous, trust me, there'll be more to this story than that!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Beth... Don't get me wrong... If that's the story you want to tell, then tell it. The last thing I would want to do is crush someone's creative inspirations and squash out that dream.
Just thought that since a beloved Muppet's relation going through cancer treatment was done quite well before...
Thought a story like Rowlf's would center more on his relationship between Wanda, as she's brought into the Muppet fold so to speak... With some scenes of his mother sprinkled throughout.
What it comes down to is... The preview was great... It's just that last line where Felicia says Moe has cancer that kinda lowered my expectations a little.
But like I already said... If this is the tale you want to tell, then go ahead and tell it. Just tell it straight from the heart, and put everything you've got into it until you're satisfied with it. You're the author, so write about what you know.

Doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to it... Will be reading it and replying like any other fanfic I've enjoyed in the past.
Hope this helps clear up any confusion on the part of my previous post... And I'm awaiting your next story.
*Hugs to you Beth.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oh it's no problem at all Ed, trust me, I understand completely. *Hugs back to you* I had a huge brainstorm on this story last night and it may not completely be what you'd expect from the preview anymore though that will be a part of it so all I can say is stay tuned. I'm actually very excited about my new development for it. Chapter one will be up today!

christyb

Reaction score
Wow, she's on a roll people! Another great/chilling opening. Now where did my little white teddy go to....

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Okie dokie, here's chapter one! I did my best to explain a little about the new characters for those who may not have read the other story. Enjoy! I may even get a second chapter up today!

Chapter One:

“You and me and George,” sang out Rowlf as he sat at the piano backstage at the Muppet Theatre.

“Sounding good Rowlf,” called out Kermit as he passed by.

“Thanks!” exclaimed Rowlf. He smiled. He had been happier than he could ever remember being lately. He had good reason to be though.

Only a short while ago he found himself at an extremely low point. With the help of Kermit and some other friends he figured out he missed the family he wasn’t even sure if he still had anymore. He went to find them; digging up some painful memories along the way, but in the end was happily reunited with his family who resided in Minnesota. After spending some time with them he returned to Hensonville and the Muppet Theatre he loved, but arranged to visit as much as he could and had his family come out to see him as well.

Rowlf plucked a few more notes on the piano. Yes, he now felt complete. He had especially grown close to his brothers Moe, Spot and Rex. He smiled again.

“Hey, how’s it going?” came a voice purring beside him.

“Oh, hi,” said Rowlf to Wanda the cat. Wanda was another friend he rediscovered when he first went back home. They had been friends years ago, and now, well, he wasn’t really sure what they were now. All he knew is that they needed to work those feelings out and since Wanda had an amazing singing voice, he brought her home and had Kermit put her in the show.

The only problem was that they still hadn’t quite worked through what they felt for each other and they had a great deal of adversity to work through being a dog and a cat. But, Rowlf kept reminding himself, if Kermit could do it, if Gonzo could do it, he could do it.

“It’s going well. I’m taking out an old standard for this week’s show,” said Rowlf answering Wanda’s question.

“That’s great. I guess I’m singing with Miss Piggy, I’m not sure how she feels about that,” said Wanda. Piggy was none too happy with this new female cast member getting all of the attention.

“How do you feel about it?” asked Rowlf.

“Oh, I’m fine with it as long as she doesn’t try to karate chop me or something,” said Wanda.

“Stay away from Kermit and you’ll be fine,” laughed Rowlf.

Wanda laughed too. She had already discovered how possessive the pig could be and even though she constantly reminded her that she had no interest in Kermit whatsoever, it didn’t stop her from treating Wanda as a threat.

When one looked at Wanda they really couldn’t exactly blame Piggy for feeling she was a threat. Not only could she sing circles around some of even the most talented guest musicians that came on the show, she was also incredibly gorgeous. She had dark brown and black fur with flecks of red and deep emerald colored eyes. It was easy to fall into a trance just by looking at her.

Rowlf often found himself in such a state when he was around her, but often times pulled himself out of it. This was the main problem he and Wanda were having so far. He just couldn’t commit to anything and she didn’t really know how to read the situation so she patiently waited to see what would happen.

They found themselves in one of those awkward moments now.

“Well, I guess I should get back to practicing,” said Rowlf.

“Oh right. I’ll go see if Hilda has our costumes ready yet I guess,” said Wanda and got up to walk away.

Rowlf watched her as she left and didn’t see Kermit approaching him. Kermit had observed the exchange between Rowlf and Wanda from a distance and decided to talk with his friend about the situation.

“How’s it going with you two?” asked Kermit.

“Huh? What?” said Rowlf as Kermit startled him out of his trance.

“I said how is it going with you and Wanda?” asked Kermit.

“Well, it’s going, you know, it’s,” stuttered Rowlf.

“I suspected as much. It’s not easy is it?” asked Kermit.

“No. I don’t why I thought it would be. I’m just not sure where I’m at. I mean she’s beautiful,” said Rowlf.

“She sure is,” said Kermit.

“Don’t let Piggy hear you,” said Rowlf.

“I won’t,” said Kermit.

“She’s so talented,” said Rowlf.

“I wouldn’t argue with that,” said Kermit.

“So what’s my problem?” asked Rowlf.

“Well, you’ve been a single dog, prowling on your own for quite sometime now,” said Kermit.

“This is true. Maybe I don’t want to settle down. I mean, every dog does hope to find someone to share his fleas with, but I don’t know,” said Rowlf.

“Well, I hate to say this, but maybe it’s not right. Maybe you’re just meant to be friends. Otherwise, you’d probably feel differently,” said Kermit.

“I suppose you’re right. I would’ve hated to drag her all this way for nothing though,” said Rowlf.

“Well, you guys really haven’t been here all that long yet. Give it some more time. Maybe you’ll start to feel something,” said Kermit.

“I think I do feel something, I just don’t know what to do with it,” said Rowlf.

“Well that’s a start. Like I said, I think you should give it some more time. If you’re still unsure in a little while, then maybe you’ll need to talk to her about it,” said Kermit.

“Thanks Kermit. I think I will give it some more time,” said Rowlf.

“No problem. We’re heading back to the house in about an hour, don’t practice too hard,” said Kermit and then got up and walked away.

Rowlf thought for awhile about what Kermit said.

“Yeah, I just need some more time,” he thought.

He started playing the piano again. But, he changed his song.

“You are so beautiful, to me,” he sang. Yes sir, he couldn’t deny that he felt something and she was the most beautiful thing he’d ever seen. Now if he could just dig deeper into those feelings he’d know what he really wanted.