The Webcomic Thread

Xerus

Reaction score
I really like looking at comics made for the web. Where people can create and share their own vision of cartoons to the world without being executive controlled.

There are my 3 webcomics that consist of Rebusquest, X.O. Seal, and Skelroy & Bonus. Comics that try to bring back the spirit of those classic Saturday Morning variety shows.

http://www.therebusquestwebsite.com/

Vampire Girl, created by D'Snowth, which is a cool cartoon about a girl who wishes to eliminate her vampire ways and become a human.

http://vampiregirl.smackjeeves.com/

Restaurante Macoatl, created by Ruy Fernando Estrada Rivera, which is a comic about a crazy group of humans and monsters who work at a Mexican restaurant. I just love the designs in this cartoon.

http://flintofmother3.deviantart.com/gallery/7154634?offset=168

And you can visit Comixpedia which is an encyclopedia of links to lots of webcomics.

http://www.comixpedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Slackbot

Reaction score

Slackbot

Reaction score
I like VG Cats, but I hardly ever go to the site because he posts new comics every, oh, whenever. He might go months between updates.

Another great webcomic: Girl Genius by Phil and Kaja Foglio. I can't stress how much I love this comic. I adore Phil's art, always have. However, the story could be accurately described as byzantine, so if you start in the middle you're likely to be confused.

I used to read 8-Bit Theater, and I even contributed a few guest comics (including the infamous "Staff-Chucks for Christmas" one) and did art and editorial work for the flash spinoff, but as that's over and done with there's no real point plugging it. Yet I just did. :sigh:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
IDGet is my favorite, this seems just like the kind of comic you'd read in the papers.

Someone Stole My Panties is really random, but at the same time, each of the strips seem to be true-to-life slices of just about anything.

Google Search Bar just as the title says... check it out.

Jaques Comics This is really an interesting comic... I don't really know how to describe it, you just have to read it yourself to see.

Another comic I also really enjoyed, but then the author, for whatever reason, deleted it altogether after only a month or so was entitled Unfinished Reality; it was sort of a Westernized Manga about a socially awkward girl who falls in love with a new boy at her high school, and gets killed by accidentally crossing a busy street, BUT, this spirit guy sends her back to earth as a ghost to protect the boy she loves, but there's all kinds of conditions she has to abide by otherwise she'll be punished. It was really interesting, the style was unique, the coloring was very pastelly and 80s-esque, and before the author deleted it, the girl was in trouble because she was having to fight off these evil spirits making trouble, all the while she was in trouble with the spirit guy because she saved a girl from falling to her death when that was actually the way she was supposed to go. Again, I don't know why the author deleted it after like only a month, but it was off to a great start.

Another comic I started reading, but it got too overly dramatic after a while so I stopped was a lesbian love story called Simply Sarah, I believe it was a fictionalized autobiographical story, from what I remembered, it followed a lesbian girl named Sarah, as she juggled feelings for the girl she loves, a not quite blissful home life, an even more chaotic life in her last year of high school, among other things. I will say that the style of the comic was VERY realistic, the drawing, the coloring, the shading, lighting, etc... again, the story just ended up getting really heavy, it's more like a soap opera in webcomic form.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I enjoy Brawl in the Family a lot. It's mostly a deconstruction of Nintendo characters and gameplay ideas, and is really hilarious. :smile:
I can't believe it... a video game webcomic that ISN'T a full-on stolen video game sprite comic!

But actually, that brings to mind something I've ranted about in another thread in the past, and I believe Xerus can attest to it as well, but when it comes to webcomics, more often than not, there doesn't seem to be any room for originality; I've come to notice that there's three kinds of webcomics that are always automatically popular - manga inspired (whether it's Westernized, or full-on read from right to left), stolen video game sprite (Pokemon sprite comics are a dime a dozen), or LGBT (Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender Community) - it doesn't even really matter if a comic is just starting, if they fall into these categories, they automatically become popular with whatever reading community the host site (ComicGenesis, Drunk Duck, Smack Jeeves, etc) has. Meanwhile, the more original webcomics always struggle to garner and earn any readers at all... IDGet for example, is original, as has been updating for nearly eleven years (and I've been following it for about half that time), yet it continues to have a VERY small and meager following of at least three or so (that I know of) readers; on that same token, Xerus and I both have struggled trying to peak people's interest in our works... I think Xerus has had it worse though, as he's been continuing his stories for a couple of years now and I seem to be the only one genuinely following them, whereas with myself, I think not grabbing people's interest with Vampire Girl can be forgiven since I think Twilight, True Blood, and all that other stuff killed vampires and vampire-related entertainment for people, and I usually don't put much stock in vampires myself, I only did it because of a song that got stuck in my head.

Okay, sorry, I know this isn't the place for that, let's just go back to discussing our favorite webcomics.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I can't believe it... a video game webcomic that ISN'T a full-on stolen video game sprite comic!
Awkward Zombie is a video game comic, mostly. Its just a lot of the jokes will go over the persons head if they never played the game in the comic

Xerus

Reaction score

But actually, that brings to mind something I've ranted about in another thread in the past, and I believe Xerus can attest to it as well, but when it comes to webcomics, more often than not, there doesn't seem to be any room for originality; I've come to notice that there's three kinds of webcomics that are always automatically popular - manga inspired (whether it's Westernized, or full-on read from right to left), stolen video game sprite (Pokemon sprite comics are a dime a dozen), or LGBT (Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender Community) - it doesn't even really matter if a comic is just starting, if they fall into these categories, they automatically become popular with whatever reading community the host site (ComicGenesis, Drunk Duck, Smack Jeeves, etc) has. Meanwhile, the more original webcomics always struggle to garner and earn any readers at all... IDGet for example, is original, as has been updating for nearly eleven years (and I've been following it for about half that time), yet it continues to have a VERY small and meager following of at least three or so (that I know of) readers; on that same token, Xerus and I both have struggled trying to peak people's interest in our works... I think Xerus has had it worse though, as he's been continuing his stories for a couple of years now and I seem to be the only one genuinely following them, whereas with myself, I think not grabbing people's interest with Vampire Girl can be forgiven since I think Twilight, True Blood, and all that other stuff killed vampires and vampire-related entertainment for people, and I usually don't put much stock in vampires myself, I only did it because of a song that got stuck in my head.

Okay, sorry, I know this isn't the place for that, let's just go back to discussing our favorite webcomics.
I understand what you're going through, Snowthy with you in competition with vampire related things. With me, I'm in competition with these cartoons.

Rebusquest VS. Adventure Time with Finn and Jake.
X.O. Seal Vs. TUFF Puppy.
Skelroy and Bonus Vs. Kick Buttowski.

Sometimes these shows already come up with ideas before I get a chance to or sometimes they end up stealing my ideas.