The 'What Do You Do For A Living/What Do You Study' Thread

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I went back a few pages and couldn't find a thread like this one, so thought I'd make one. If there is something already like this, feel free to trashcan this thread.

I'm a senior at the University of Connecticut and am majoring in English with a minor in Communications (so I can actually have a job when I graduate). After I graduate in the spring, I plan to take a semester off to decompress/decompose and then I want to get my master's in comm with the goal of working in organizational communication and human resources.

So what do you all do for a living, plan on doing, or want to do?

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I'm a college junior at University of Maryland (yes, Jim Henson's alma mater, and no, that is not the only reason I applied) studying English and working on a certificate in women's studies. I hope to become a professional writer, doing what I do now, only professionally, of course. Currently though, I work at a fabric store in my home city of Gaithersburg, MD, part-time.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Majoring in middle level science and english education. I wanted to just do science, but I had to pick a second subject. This leaves me with NO room for electives except some general study classes where we have options on what to take.

Not sharing what school I go to :stick_out_tongue:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Majoring in middle level science and english education. I wanted to just do science, but I had to pick a second subject. This leaves me with NO room for electives except some general study classes where we have options on what to take.

Not sharing what school I go to :stick_out_tongue:
That's cool you want to be a teacher! I've worked part-time at an after-school program since I've started college, and while it's a lot of fun, I can hardly fathom the amount of patience it must take to want to teach full-time. Does middle-level mean the same thing as middle-school (grades 5 through 8)?

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'm a senior at Southern Oregon University. I'm majoring in theatre (general emphasis) and creative writing, and I'm minoring in photography. Meaning? I'm gonna be a starving artist all my life. Wahoo! Gonna be broke for forever!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Well hey, teachers dont make loads of money either :wink: Thats why you marry a doctor or lawyer lol.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Actually, last year I made my starving artist joke in class and some older guy was all "Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a rich guy to marry you." Mmmm, awkward situations are awkward.

But yay for making not too much money together!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Puppeteer thats the basic of it..i sorta try to do it all....i was actually recently asked if i wanted to be the next Jim Henson, i had to laughingly yet firmly respond i could never replace his greatness but merely follow his footsteps