The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
*bump*

Y'know, I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a whole lot of bad animated movies coming out this year (at least in the US, Canada, and the UK).

The worst one I can think of is Sherlock Gnomes. (I'm not counting Peter Rabbit because that's a live action/CGI hybrid, and not completely animated.) Just about everything else that has been released so far ranges from decent to amazing.

We'll have to wait and see how good or bad The Grinch (which comes out tomorrow, I believe), Wreck-It Ralph 2, and Into the Spider-Verse are.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Honestly, even the Grinch himself seems "meh" about his latest remake.

I mean seriously, based on trailers, the Grinch hardly seems like the Grinch at all . . . he's really not sinister or menacing or anything (heck, even Jim Carrey made him seem like a maniacal psychopath), he seems so laid-back and chill . . . and Benedict Cumberbatch's voice is really an ill-fit.

We might as well do a remake of Disney's Hunchback and have @LittleJerry92 voice a stoner Frollo.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I would also argue that the Jim Carrey version of the Grinch brought some emotional complexity to the character: the movie gives us a backstory, detailing how he was adopted by a pair of little old Who ladies who found his baby basket in a tree, but as a kid growing up, he was tormented by his peers for being green and hairy - and for having a crush on the prettiest Who girl in school. That deep-rooted psychological trauma turned him into that said scary, mean, crusty, old frog who hated society. Even as a full-grown Grinch living alone in his lair atop of Mount Crumpet, we see moments where he's actually a really sad, broken, depressed character - eating out of boredom, curling up in the fetal position out of loneliness.

Granted, I know that often times, people don't like when characters are given complex backstories to explain why they are the way they are (Dr. Seuss' original kept his reasons for hating Christmas and the Whos completely vague), but it really helped with Jim Carrey's portrayal of the Grinch as being an absolute psychotic sociopath.

Either way, this is what the Grinch is supposed to be, so I have no clue what they were thinking making Benedict Cumberbatch's Grinch such a laid-back and chill dude who feels more like a troll than anything.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
Now the fabric I'm describing isn't a serial numbers filed off version of Barnyard, but an actual licensed product featuring an actual title (with "TM" marks next to the titles no less), with a suspiciously similar looking art style, but with different animals. I actually found a picture of it:

GAH!!! This had to have been a lousy CGI DTV movie. I just don't know the name of it. It looks very much Studio Brinquendo, though...
I figured out where those characters are from. They are from a lousy CGI DTV movie, and it's called The Lion of Judah:
Not the absolute worst animation I've ever seen, but it is pretty ugly.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought the Grinch looking too cutesy and cuddly was bad enough, Cindy Lou Who doesn't even look like a Who, let alone a Dr. Seuss creation, she looks like a freakin' chubby-cheeked chibi!