The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Still haven't bothered seeing it on Netflix.
My brother and I watched it several months back, it's a real snore fest. The plot is extremely generic and goes absolutely nowhere and the characters are bland as heck. The movie probably would've been much better if it was about 30 minutes shorter. But, I know you've heard all those complaints before, so, go right ahead.

King Jim

Reaction score
This is why I myself believe that Jim Henson was the first person every in the history of television to ever mix fantasy with reality perfectly. When Jim Henson's Sesame Street Muppets just fit into the real world. When Jim Henson created The Muppet Show in 1976 it was cleaver. Many of Jim Henson's Muppets looked so real because his Muppets were crafted and performed well. CGi animation can never compete to the hand crafted work of Jim, Don Sahlinmit, Kermit Love, Bonnie Ericson etc. Honesty, I can't stand most CGI animation and I prefer puppetry instead. Compared to some movies that mix fantasy with reality do a terrible job and these people can never compete with Jim Henson's Muppets. No matter how much computer technicians improve on CGI animation they will never be able to compete with Jim Henson and his Muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uh... medium much?

Let's not forget there are terrible works of puppetry and freaking terrible animated features that used traditional animation, like Troll in Central Park. A movie even the makers of hate.

In terms of an animated movie, they aren't looking to replace puppetry. Maybe big budget Hollywood films are trying to move away from the oddly cheaper practical effects, but if anything is being replaced, it's 2-D. And even then, that's because Disney hitched that wagon to "Ethnic Princess That alienated the Audience into seeing Chipmunks 2" and "Winne the Pooh relunch after Years of being a Toddler and Old Sweater Wearing Woman Franchise." And all the other studios were on various levels of follow the leader, in cases follow the one directly in front of you.

But remember. It's not the medium that makes the movie (though certainly a well crafted visual experience can perk up an otherwise crap film), it's the writing. You can have a well animated piece of crap that's less interesting than a crappily animated project with a good script.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Even Gumball Watterson knows a bad Studio Brinquendo film when he sees one.

I present to you "How to Ratatwang your Panda"

The likeness is uncanny!
I know that's a kind of old post but, that was perfect. It's just so accurate, lol

Luke kun

Reaction score
I know this for a fact because somehow I got MTV 2 back in 2003 or 4, and they kept playing this music video by the Ying Yang Twins (that is the funniest thing, if not one of, I've ever seen in a not supposed to be funny way). And it started out as a fake interview where someone asks them "What are you going to do after 'Whistle while you Twerk?'" And indeed twerk was part of the song.
I cannot stop laughing at this. BTW the song came out in 2002

Last edited:

Luke kun

Reaction score
For better or worse, they went with the old He-Man/Fat Albert/those Mega Man OVA's "came in to the real world" plotline...which, unlike Master of the Universe they had the technology and budget to have them in their own time.
AT LEAST THERE'S NO JAPANESE FESTIVAL WITH ANNOYING KIDS SCREAMING "WASSHOI!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know exactly about just that and yeah. Shame on them for letting all of that happen, and shame on them for not adding one freaking minute of credits to accommodate the animators. But it's equally angering that they'd have to shaft the animators like that because no major studio wants to bother with an R rated animated film and not that many movie goers want to see one. I really wish they were able to get the budget to not screw the animators, but clearly even Sony didn't want to throw the money at this instead of another bad movie that's an excuse to have Adam Sandler go on vacation with a hot actress playing his wife. So yeah, the animation studio and the production studio are to blame here. This better be rectified on home video, and it's an easy fix to just credit them.

All I can say it's an asterisk. Other than that, it's a pretty good movie for those who wanted to see something like this. R rated animated films don't have a good track record. I mean, Ralph Bakshi did the best he could with what he released. At worst, the movies are kinda polarizing. I like them and respect them. Then there's Rock and Rule which I really want to see at some point and didn't yet. It's important that we even have a movie like Sausage Party, no matter what you think of it. So yeah, I'm conflicted how this is playing out.

cuppajoe95

Reaction score
I know this is hardly a good place to talk about it, but I just saw the new trailer for the live-action Max Steel movie coming in October.

To be fair, it does have some CGI in it (obviously), but not really a whole lot better than your typical Hollywood blockbuster.

Lastly, I'm not really familiar with the Max Steel toyline for some reason. Maybe it just somehow flew under my radar when I was a kid, and I recall plenty of popular toylines and cartoons from those days.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ehhh... I get that Mattel desperately wants a boy's toy line that isn't based on an existing property that they have to buy the rights to. Something they can own. While they do have Hot Wheels, they really don't have an action figure line.

Thing that bugs the heck out of me is that they pretty much fast tracked this thing into production while the new Masters of the Universe movie has been slowly getting traction for the past decade, maybe decade and a half. I'm sure they want it to be a quality film and all, but seriously... Max Steel wasn't exactly popular the last go around a couple years ago. To be fair, it was on Disney XD, a channel I'm usually bashing for it's inaccessibility that dooms the popularity of outside toy based shows. I'm guessing most kids didn't actually get to watch the new series, but the toy line went into deep discount. Parts of it even made it to Dollar Tree. Max Steel was barely a thing back in 2000, definitely wasn't a thing in 2012 or so (I can't even remember when that version came out, that's how little of an impact it made).