The Writing Process

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I spent a nice quiet night last night working on writing a story (which you should hopefully see here in a few weeks) and watching the LSU/Alabama college football game and it got me to thinking about the writing process. Since there are a lot of writers on here, I wanted to see what kinds of things you like to do when you write or are trying to come up with ideas.

I like writing on legal pads because part of me thinks they look cooler than regular notebooks, though after I write a few pages I like to type them up as a way of editing them. I also like to have some sort of background noise going, whether it be music or the TV on. Keeps me from completely getting frustrated if I can't get a phrase right. Most of the time I like to write in the privacy of my own place, though last week I started writing in my Interpersonal Communication class because it was the only way I could keep myself from falling asleep.

So what do all of you like to do when you write?

KingR76

Reaction score
I adopt the Steven Spielberg approach, that is by having notepads in each room of my Home so whenever an idea, a phrase, a plot twist or just a line comes to me I'm always able to note it down from there the ideas just snowball and so I jot it down as soon as it comes to me.

When I Write theres no music, no background sound there is silence so I can concentrate even more and I either Write on my Bed, at my bureau or on the recliner.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I do most of my writing on my computer, though I write down lists of ideas in my journals.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I have a notebook that I carry around with me for the most part that I'll write in when I think of something. I'll also type up anything from random ideas to stories in word documents. I like to have either the tv going or some music going when I write because I can't stand absolute quietness.
My biggest problem is that half the time I see the events that I want to write about in my head in really good detail. And then when I go to write it down something sets up a road block somewhere between by brain and my fingers and I can't actually write it down. It drives me crazy. Sometimes this deters me from writing. Other times (and I'm trying to get better at this) I try to write down what I can and then come back to it later and I'm able to fill in the blanks. My biggest problem with that is that I think I get discouraged with not being able to get it down write the first time that I don't even try. But I'm really trying to get better at it.

Love this thread, thanks for starting it.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
My biggest problem is that half the time I see the events that I want to write about in my head in really good detail. And then when I go to write it down something sets up a road block somewhere between by brain and my fingers and I can't actually write it down. It drives me crazy.
I know what you mean. I've had brilliant ideas in my head before and then I can't seem to translate them onto paper, or once they get there they just don't look as good as I thought they would be. But you're right, you've got to work through it as best as you can.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I've had brilliant ideas in my head before and then I can't seem to translate them onto paper, or once they get there they just don't look as good as I thought they would be.
I think it's definitely important to keep in mind that your first attempt to put your ideas in writing is usually not going to be the best. You have to write it all out once, then go back and edit and rethink and eventually it becomes the work you wanted it to be.

And I'm reminded of a phrase Jerry Juhl was fond of: "Not writing is worse." :smile:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
When I have an idea I find a paper quickly and write it down before someone steals it. (well no one else will steal it but I do it to remeber it)
Then later I type it up on my computer.
Sometimes I need music in the back, mostly slow or classical music will do.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Anybody use a typewriter? Part of me wants to get a typewriter to write on. I probably won't as it's not practical but every now and then the thought crosses my mind.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Anybody use a typewriter? Part of me wants to get a typewriter to write on. I probably won't as it's not practical but every now and then the thought crosses my mind.
That would probably be cool to try I have never used a typewriter before
I would probably get frustrated and break it that's why I stay away form typewiters