This thread is brought to you by the letter U!

Xerus

Reaction score
There was one U cartoon where this short guy in a business suit talks about the letter U. He got on top of the U and said," If you stand on it, you can rock back and forth." But then he accidentally falls off the U.
Then he explains the captial U can be found in most places like Utah, United States, and United Nations.
He says the U can be used for anything. But he likes to play it like a guitar. He picks up the U and starts strumming it playing wild guiltar music.

Also I heard from somewhere that one time, a girl came up to Smokey Robinson and asked him. "Where's your U?" For she recognized him from that Sesame Street clip.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned the really really really early claymation clip with the unicorn in his red underwear, explaining about the letter U? :smile: If I'm recalling right, I think this was from the first episode.

Splurge

Reaction score
Mokeystar said:
Has anyone mentioned the really really really early claymation clip with the unicorn in his red underwear, explaining about the letter U? :smile: If I'm recalling right, I think this was from the first episode.
It was the first season, but not the first episode. The claymation there was for "S". But it was on one of the Unpaveds.

Interestingly enough, there's a New York Times magazine article from 1970 (found on microfilm at a library near you) about the success of Sesame Street. There are photographs of televisions with some "U" scenes, and one includes the claymation spelling "Uniform". Also was that clip, "Anybody wanna buy a used U?"

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i've been going to my library and others in the Chicago area to look for old article on SS and Mr. Rogers. found a couple of 1968 articles through a referrence book even read 1 of them. it's too bad most newspapers & magazines don't have old archives on the internet. they eother can't do it or it's too expensive to put them on their online database.

Victoria

Reaction score
The one I mentioned the other day. The U hugs some singer "You really gotta hold on" :smile:

Splurge

Reaction score
Victoria said:
The one I mentioned the other day. The U hugs some singer "You really gotta hold on" :smile:
Smokey Robinson.

Soul H

Reaction score
Does anybody know the lyrics to that Smokey Robinson song and what happened throuought the video?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That was Smokey Robinson, who had a hit with his group the Miracles in 1963, "You Really Got a Hold On Me", later covered by the Beatles. :sing:

Soul H

Reaction score
When the cartoon guy played the U as a guitar, how bad did it sound?

Xerus said:
There was one U cartoon where this short guy in a business suit talks about the letter U. He got on top of the U and said," If you stand on it, you can rock back and forth." But then he accidentally falls off the U.
Then he explains the captial U can be found in most places like Utah, United States, and United Nations.
He says the U can be used for anything. But he likes to play it like a guitar. He picks up the U and starts strumming it playing wild guiltar music.

Also I heard from somewhere that one time, a girl came up to Smokey Robinson and asked him. "Where's your U?" For she recognized him from that Sesame Street clip.

Xerus

Reaction score
Soul H said:
When the cartoon guy played the U as a guitar, how bad did it sound?
It's hard to say. I guess I can say that his guitar playing was neither good or bad.