This thread was brought to you by the letter I!

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
This probably doesn't count but the Ernie and Bert sketch where the TV kept flashing and saying "H". Ernie opened it up and pulled out a number of things starting with H(hambuger, hamster, hammer, etc). When they turned it back on, it started doing the same thing expect it was flashing "I". Ernie was going to try to fix it again, but Bert stopped him, because he liked it.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
I know this one has already been mentioned, but I had to share my story based on the boy with the dog with the letter I-shaped bone.

My sister and I have always had an "inside" joke-type of tradition, that when anyone says, "Oh, I see....", we have to reply, "I-C-L-E! One letter I for you and the other I for me!"

Yes, we've gotten some funny looks over the years, but it's one of those things we've gotta do. :big_grin:

"This bone tastes like errrrrrrrrrr.....the LETTER I!"

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
This probably doesn't count but the Ernie and Bert sketch where the TV kept flashing and saying "H". Ernie opened it up and pulled out a number of things starting with H(hambuger, hamster, hammer, etc). When they turned it back on, it started doing the same thing expect it was flashing "I". Ernie was going to try to fix it again, but Bert stopped him, because he liked it.
i still wonder what was so special about the letter I and why Bert Hated H? another reason why SS was so enjoyable when your older.

Danimal

Reaction score
i'm glad mikealen was also scared by #19 on his/her list, although i am really sorry for the terror you experienced as a child, but i too know the same feeling. just reading you excellent description of it sort of brought those feelings back to me for a second. the piano/saxaphone music accompanying the film really was the straw that broke the camel's back. from start to finish that film was terrifying! i can't believe that an executive producer of SS allowed that film in the show and didn't say, "hey, this is a little freaky, an 8 year old might be a little scared by this" Really scary!!! Does anyone know how one could view this bit these days???

mikebennidict

Reaction score
to Danninal: i know want to sound insensitive to your feelings but just because it scared you as a kid doesn't mean everybody was scared of it. i certainy wasn't. so let's not get to critical of the producers for putting that on the air.

Danimal

Reaction score
fair enough...then there must have just been something about that bit, psycologically, that really struck a nerve with mikealen and myself, and possibly others out there...anyone have a copy of it?

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
"I" songs

Here are some of the I songs:

We all live in a capital I
In the middle of the desert
In the center of the sky.

All day long we polish up the I
To make it clean and shiny
So it brightens up the sky.
Rubbing it here
And scrubbing it there.
Polishing the I
So high in the air.

And as we work we sing a lively tune
"It is great to be so happy on a busy afternoon."
And when we're through with the day's only chore,
We go into the I
And we close the door.

Capital I, capital I, capital I, capital I.

------------------------------------------------------------
The cartoon with the dog and the I shaped bone is a good one too.

(Car horn) Beep beep! Beep beep!

Some of the words that begin with I they get to be quite tricky
There’s intersection and illegal, irritate and icky

Beep-beep! Beep-beep!
Many words that begin with I are longer than itchy and into
There's impossible and incredible and important too.

The letter I is quite a pip,
I think I’ll take him on my trip
We’ll have some fun, and do a flip,
Into my car, away we'll zip
I'm glad to be with the letter I
Cause he’s so irresiiiiiiiiiis- tible!
Beep beep! Beep beep

----------------------------------------------
I, stand up straight and tall,
I, never bend at all.
I, important.
I, incredible.
I, dot the top and I will always
Be the same.

I, think of one thin line.
I, tall and straight and fine.
I, innocent.
I, intelligent.
I, I like I.

(Spoken)
And I like all the "I" words like "icicle" and "ice cream" and "idea", and also the words that begin with the other "I" sound like "igloo" and "insect" and "if" and "it", but don't forget "ice cream"!

I, think of one thin line.
I, tall and straight and fine.
I, innocent.
I, intelligent.
I, I like I.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i wonder who was the guy who sung the i song that went with that cartoon of the man driving the car and took the blue i in his car? sounds a little bit like Peter Noone of Herman's Hermit's.

ISNorden

Reaction score
21. On a late 90s/early 2000s episode, the Muppet author "Flo Bear" taught about the letter I, listing I-words which included "inkydinkydoo" (what the heck?!?). Near the end of her lecture, Flo pointed out "The letter I is a word all by itself: I am Flo Bear, I am a writer..." Unfortunately, I forget any other example sentences Flo used, although she did say: "If you know how to write the letter I, you know how to write a whole word."

22. A short song-clip with colorful letters swinging around at the end of metal rods, with a park-like scene in fast motion behind them. A female soloist sings these lyrics (which I remember only partially):

"I-I-I-I,
see the I's [?]* by.
It can sound like an 'ih',
it can sound like an 'eye'.
[?]* starts with I,
and so does 'itty' [not sure here].
I-I-I-I,
that's it for this ditty."

*Words that I've forgotten are replaced by [?]. If anyone else remembers them, please post the correct lyrics here.