Those cats

JMFabiano

Reaction score
I've done a little research, and notice that in the past there's been various questions about Chip Cat and Dip Cat. Now, that sparked up my own curiosity, as I first saw them quite recently actually, on that '80s Numbers video (the one where they parody The Tonight Show). One thing that got me interested was when the cats' voice actors were mentioned, and them having speaking roles. And therein lies my question...for in the video, when they appeared, all they did was meow everything (think male Henrietta Pussycats on speed, and without any English ;-)). But on the series, they spoke English?

J.

sesameguy

Reaction score
Hi- Yes, I think that's right, they did speak English on the show besides just meowing. I can recall a skit where the two cats were speaking to a child about a word on a card. (Similar to the skits where Grover would hold up a card and ask the child about it.)

HarveyK

Reaction score
They danced in a song by the Oinker Sisters about the alphabet in a barn but I do not believe they spoke.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Judging from the video (the earliest appearance I've ever seen of them), they probably originally only spoke in "meows", and eventually began to speak English later on. In one clip they mention that they liked playing tricks on Oscar. They were performed by Kevin Clash (Chip) and Richard Hunt (Dip). I also found out that they are not just friends, but they are twins. Nowadays, they are just spare cat puppets (put into a scene whenever necessary). It'd be nice to see them again; David Rudman could probably perform Dip.