Thoughts on Convincing John

Saironi

Reaction score
Since I've done one on Cantus, I figured another on Jim's other recurring character would be good.

Compared to Cantus, who seems to be as wise and mature as he looks, Convincing John is all flash and no substance, looking as though he were struck by lightning, which may be possibly, as when he first appears his tail looks totally stiff and rigid in contrast to the free tails of other Fraggles. It's also likely not a surprise that he's revealed to be a total fraud in his private life, not really being able to make up his own mind. It's quite likely John and his backing singers (who keep his secret) enjoy praise and exposure to those who are only too willing to let someone else do the thinking, possibly under the impression that with influence comes power.

To me, this seems to be why Wembely and Gobo almost choke when he's first mentioned. It does seem a reality that, perhaps his eccentric appearance has some purpose, say in perhaps hypnotizing his "victims" into actually thinking his exagerated horror stories of what happened to Fraggles who didn't listen to him will actually happen to the listener? If you pay attention when he sings "And I promise you, this story is true", it's obviously meant to frighten those who buy the baloney. He is, as Muppet Wiki puts it, "a flashy evangelical preist"; a man who has convinced himself that he and his beliefs/causes is more important than he really is (though in a later episode we find he can be rather indecisive himself) and is most likely looking for wandering souls with no real self awareness to pull into his way of thinking. It's quite possible the Secret Society of Phoobahs allowed him to realize his dellusional dreams of power and influence.

In short, I think I've made it seem like Convincing John is a conartist who enjoys hearing himself speak, manipulating the easily impressed for his own amusement (as he convinced Mokey to wear plastic cups and Red a blindfold clearly for some laughs at their expense) and an antagonist, though some may not be able to see it.

If ya got anything to add, please do.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't know why, I've just never thought of Convincing John as a bad guy. Just that he has this weakness and uses it to his advantage. And it seems, only when someone requests it of him.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
"Now you eat a doozer tower
And it's pretty as a flower
And a flower's what you dig up in a field.
But that field could have a hole
And you could fall in while you stroll
And then a Gorg could come along to have a meal."

I think he's like those storybook writers who try to scare children into doing good. :stick_out_tongue:

I'm just kidding, by the way... sorta.

Saironi

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's bad, just that he wants everyone to think he's more important than he really is and that his power to convince anyone into doing anything could make other Fraggles a bit uneasy, maybe why "Convincing John is the type of Fraggle no one goes to see".

Think of him like a fox, coyote or rabbit from those old stories; he'll probably help you, but make you look foolish in one way or other and/or want payment in return.

Mokey-Got her wearing cups on her hands.
Rd-Got her to wear a blindfold.

Emeowrald

Reaction score
In a sense when it comes to Cantus and Convincing John the two are different sides of the same coin. Like you said Cantus is wise and mature. Also he doesn't have to use much flash either and instead of pushing his beliefs down people's throats he makes it so that those who talk to him have to figure things out for themselves.
Now you have Convincing John who obviously loves having attention, and when someone is convinced to do what John wants John likes that because it makes him feel powerful. I can imagine Convincing John maybe being a bit jealous of Cantus because in a sense Cantus had a greater power because he was wise. Convincing John's power only comes from his ability to manipulate which is something he knows how to do very well. Unlike Cantus, Convincing John does not want others to think for themselves. He wants them to think in terms he feels is correct.
I think that Convincing John was in effect a latently adult character. I know someone here (and I won't mention names) likes to think of his backup singers as his cousins and no more, but if you ask me, I think there was probably a bit more that was going on between him and his singers. I mean you have one guy who lives with three girls. Does that not seem a bit strange to any of you? I know nothing was ever mentioned because it was a kids' show, but still you have to wonder.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To me, I always thought they lived together because they were a group, like a rock band that tours together. I never thought they were related. But it is a kid's show, so they wouldn't go too far in depth, hehe.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder how Mokey got Convincing John to agree to convince the other Fraggles to swear off eating doozer sticks. Could she have convinced him?

Saironi

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I wonder how Mokey got Convincing John to agree to convince the other Fraggles to swear off eating doozer sticks. Could she have convinced him?
Not likely. More likely it was the chance to use his talents on others that made him accept her request. Though, in "The Secret Life of Convincing John", he most likely helped Webley because he was also indecisive and could relate to his troubles.

In his song telling the Fraggles "Don't eat the towers", he clearly casts Gorgs as monsters when he sings "And a Gorg can come along to find a meal". Though it confused me as to why they chose to include "human being", since I doubt they know our species by that name properly. If you listen close, John is obviously saying "Eat the Doozer Towers, and these awful things may as well happen to you as punishment for not listening to me".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah apparently Mokey's a pretty good convincer herself! And John is able to see things from all points of view.

Btw, I love the episode where it's revealed John is a wembler too, and just like Wembley, he also has trouble deciding what side of the bed to get out on. It made him seem more vulnerable.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just think it's odd that Mokey got Convincing John to agree to get every fraggle (except Traveling Matt, as he wasn't there) to swear off doozer towers. After Mokey releases everyone from their oath, he is convincing them to eat the towers. If I was convincing John, I would have convicned Mokey to stop trying to get Fraggles to swear off Doozer constructions.