1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Three New DVD's coming on 07/02/2005

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by Iokitek, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Iokitek

Iokitek New Member

I don't know if this is old news already. But I just thought I'd share it anyway. These are the three titles coming out on DVD according to Play.com:

Jim Henson's Mother Goose: Hickory Dickory Dock & Other Stories
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=532659&p=57&g=72

Jim Henson's Dog City - Dog City The Movie
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=532663&p=57&g=72

Jim Henson's Mopatop Shop - Grand Opening & Other Stories
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=532667&p=57&g=72
  2. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

3. MuppetDanny

I just found out that all of the DVD's are released by "HIT ENTERTAINMENT" - this looks very promising, perhaps Fraggle Rock DVD's are on the horizon? :zany:
  4. MuppetDanny

5. Oliver

Oliver New Member

no way!

:excited:

why is this only being distributed in R2 though?
  6. Oliver

Oliver New Member

I really hope the Faffner Hall disc presents complete uncut episodes as originally aired!!!

I'd also love to pick up the Dog City release... though I never knew there was a "movie" production? Could this have simply been a collection of episodes cut and spliced from the television series and bridged together in transition along with some additional animation or narrated segments to format a fluid storyline for a longer running t.v. film/special?

I really hope HIT! focuses on The Jim Henson Hour next and I hope they approach the series properly offering complete episodes of every single broadcast, single-disc releases, double-features, box-sets... I don't care, as long as they are released!!! (Though of course box-sets are always preferred.)

As for the more recent kiddie-oriented, post-Jim Henson, Henson productions; I have to say that I'm really not interested. I wouldn't ever consider purchasing a Mopatop, Mother Goose Stories or Animal Show dvd, but bring on the classic Henson productions and I'll be first in line at the store checkout!!

THANK YOU HIT! -- NOW PLEASE BE SURE TO FOLLOW-UP WITH R1 DISCS ... AND MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE NEW MASTERS AND NOT DIRECT PAL TRANSFERS OF THE EUROPEAN RELEASES BECAUSE THAT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE...

* TALE OF THE BUNNY PICNIC

* HEY CINDERELLA!

* THE FROG PRINCE

* THE MUPPET MUSICIANS OF BREMEN

* THE CHRISTMAS TOY

* THE SECRET LIFE OF TOYS - ALL EPISODES, COMPLETE SERIES

(AND OF COURSE... COMPLETE SEASON SETS FOR FRAGGLE ROCK!!! ...COMPLETE W/ SOME BONUS EPISODES OF THE ANIMATED SERIES)

:excited: :excited: :excited:
  7. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Active Member

Please, oh PLEASE let them distribute Faffner Hall in R1! Please!

-Kim
  8. Oliver

Oliver New Member

^ And NOT from a PAL sourced transfer!!!
  9. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

These and Faffner Hall were shot in PAL, so the only way to see them on a R1 disc is to make new transfers from the PAL masters ... thus in application to these, I doubt you'll get your "wish." :smirk:
  10. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

So wait a second... He wants releases of The Secret Life of Toys and not Mother Goose Stories? But weren't they released/broadcasted around the same time? And aren't the styles of both similar to each other? Well, if they make it available in R1 USA format, I'd probably pick up most if not all of the releases. Not sure if I want them to release JHH though, that'd kill off the deal I currently got going.
    Oh well, I suppose the rest will want JHH and it'd be nice to get the exposure for the greatest number of Muppet-related projects possible.
  11. Oliver

Oliver New Member

Really, I didn't know that?

I guess in that case, we'd be better off just picking up the UK releases...
  12. Docnzhoss

Docnzhoss Active Member

I don't even know what R2 means. Can the disc be played on a Playstation 2? That's the only DVD player I own. I hope so because this news has me really excited.
  13. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

R2 means region 2; meaning this DVD will only play in DVD players that are region 2 (DVD players in Europe, Japan, South Africa, Egypt, and Middle East). For American and Canadian DVD players to play a DVD they must be region 1 (R1).

Motion picture studios want to be able to control the home release of movies in different countries because of distribution rights, copyright laws, market interest, culture differances, and the fact that world-wide releases aren't simultaneous. Therefore they required that the DVD standard include codes to prevent playback of certain discs in certain geographical regions. Each DVD player is given a code for the region in which it's sold. The player will refuse to play discs that are not coded for its region. This means that a disc bought in one country may not play on a player bought in another country. Some people believe that region codes are an illegal restraint of trade, but no legal cases have established this.

Regional codes are entirely optional for the maker of a disc. Players and discs are identified by their region number (listed somewhere in the technical stats of the item). Region free DVD players do exist (that play all DVDs), but are rare and expensive. A disc can have multiple regions that it can play in, or could be region-free meaning it will play in all DVD players. Before you buy a DVD from another country or online check that the region matches your player/region. So if you live in the USA and want to watch a European DVD you may want to buy a European DVD player or wait for a R1 release.

Regions and where the DVDs will play:
    R0: Region Free
    R1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
    R2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
    R3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
    R4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
    R5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
    R6: China
    R7: Reserved
    R8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)
    R9: Undefined
  14. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

15. Stulz

Stulz Member

Mother Goose

According to Amazon.com as well as TVShowsonDVD.com and others:

The 2 Mother Goose stories DVD's will be released in Region 1 on 1.25.05

Sadly, no info listed yett for any of the others titles listed by play.com
  16. chestermcdragon

chestermcdragon New Member

OH BOY! the animal show I LOVE THAT SHOW! :) :smirk: :attitude:
  17. Gonzo's Goof

Gonzo's Goof New Member

For some you might want to look into a DVD player that plays all Region codes, you can find them online, for not a bad price. I know if they don't release some in R1 that is what I am planning on doing.
  18. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

FYI - HIT does no have the rights to the follow items on your list.
    * TALE OF THE BUNNY PICNIC
    * HEY CINDERELLA!
    * THE FROG PRINCE
    * THE MUPPET MUSICIANS OF BREMEN

Disney got all four of those specials, not HIT.