Three New DVD's coming on 07/02/2005

Oliver

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
These and Faffner Hall were shot in PAL, so the only way to see them on a R1 disc is to make new transfers from the PAL masters ... thus in application to these, I doubt you'll get your "wish." :smirk:

Really, I didn't know that?

I guess in that case, we'd be better off just picking up the UK releases...

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Oliver said:
no way!

:excited:

why is this only being distributed in R2 though?
I don't even know what R2 means. Can the disc be played on a Playstation 2? That's the only DVD player I own. I hope so because this news has me really excited.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
R2 means region 2; meaning this DVD will only play in DVD players that are region 2 (DVD players in Europe, Japan, South Africa, Egypt, and Middle East). For American and Canadian DVD players to play a DVD they must be region 1 (R1).

Motion picture studios want to be able to control the home release of movies in different countries because of distribution rights, copyright laws, market interest, culture differances, and the fact that world-wide releases aren't simultaneous. Therefore they required that the DVD standard include codes to prevent playback of certain discs in certain geographical regions. Each DVD player is given a code for the region in which it's sold. The player will refuse to play discs that are not coded for its region. This means that a disc bought in one country may not play on a player bought in another country. Some people believe that region codes are an illegal restraint of trade, but no legal cases have established this.

Regional codes are entirely optional for the maker of a disc. Players and discs are identified by their region number (listed somewhere in the technical stats of the item). Region free DVD players do exist (that play all DVDs), but are rare and expensive. A disc can have multiple regions that it can play in, or could be region-free meaning it will play in all DVD players. Before you buy a DVD from another country or online check that the region matches your player/region. So if you live in the USA and want to watch a European DVD you may want to buy a European DVD player or wait for a R1 release.

Regions and where the DVDs will play:
R0: Region Free
R1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
R2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
R3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
R4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
R5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
R6: China
R7: Reserved
R8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)
R9: Undefined

Stulz

Reaction score
Mother Goose

According to Amazon.com as well as TVShowsonDVD.com and others:

The 2 Mother Goose stories DVD's will be released in Region 1 on 1.25.05

Sadly, no info listed yett for any of the others titles listed by play.com

Gonzo's Goof

Reaction score
For some you might want to look into a DVD player that plays all Region codes, you can find them online, for not a bad price. I know if they don't release some in R1 that is what I am planning on doing.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Oliver said:
THANK YOU HIT! -- NOW PLEASE BE SURE TO FOLLOW-UP WITH R1 DISCS ...

WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE...

* TALE OF THE BUNNY PICNIC
* HEY CINDERELLA!
* THE FROG PRINCE
* THE MUPPET MUSICIANS OF BREMEN
* THE CHRISTMAS TOY
* THE SECRET LIFE OF TOYS - ALL EPISODES, COMPLETE SERIES
(AND OF COURSE... COMPLETE SEASON SETS FOR FRAGGLE ROCK!!! ...COMPLETE W/ SOME BONUS EPISODES OF THE ANIMATED SERIES)
FYI - HIT does no have the rights to the follow items on your list.
* TALE OF THE BUNNY PICNIC
* HEY CINDERELLA!
* THE FROG PRINCE
* THE MUPPET MUSICIANS OF BREMEN

Disney got all four of those specials, not HIT.