1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

"Time For Big Bird To Die?"

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Fozzie Bear, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

http://spotlight.encarta.msn.com/Fe...tary_default_article_BigBirdDie.html?GT1=9145

2. TotallySpiesFan

TotallySpiesFan New Member

That's a ridiculous article.
  3. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

4. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

He said some mean stuff about Sesame Street. Shame on him. But he dose make a valid point, though. It make me wonder about shows like Blues Clues and Dora the Explorer which had made over 2.5 billion in merchandise alone it self as Bues Clues has made those kind of numbers, itself.
  5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

I forgot earlier to post my thoughts:

It's a topic that comes up almost annually. Sesame Street is such a cultural icon and has created so much to our society that mere discussion of turning it loose is ludicrous.

Even if PBS were to be dismantled by the powers that be (ie, Congress--yuck), I could almost guarantee another network would pick it up.

Or Diz would buy 'em, and we've seen how well that has turned out for other characters we love, eh?
  6. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

It's never time for Big Bird to...:cry:
  7. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

I just read the article. Grrr. That person is NOT a happy chappy. I mean how dare he say that it's time for Big Bird to die, we all know that's not true. :cry: :( :mad:
  8. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Active Member

Actually, and correct me if I misinterpreted it, but the article is supporting the need for Sesame Street is it not? I could be wrong because I read it quickly before my way to work and I'll reread it tonight but my first thought is that the author isn't against Sesame Street or Big Bird but more against the commercialization of children's programming.
  9. matleo

matleo Active Member

agreed. The article isn't saying Sesame Street is bad,wrong, evil, etc. The author says they don't like Elmo. OK, fine, you can kinda give them that. He's not for everybody.

but the main point of the article is that Sesame Street can't really do it's job effectively anymore due to a lack of funding. you'll recall that the initial idea of Sesame Street was basically to 'advertise' numbers and letters to children. Well, that has kind of gone by the way side and instead you are treated to advertisements for McDonalds and sugary cereals. And yes, both are advertised before and after Sesame airs.

The author sites an enjoyment of Blues Clues, Go Diego, go and Dora the explorer but also sites that these are billion dollar franchises which again are surrounded by advertisements. Next time you're out at a toy store, take a look at the packagain for an SS item. You'll see a little ballon at the top featuring Elmo whre it says that the money you spend on said product goes right back into the production of SS. You're probably not going ot find that on Dora or Diego or Blue.

So anyway, the point of the article isn't at all about how lousy Sesame Strret is. It's about finding funding for shows like this so that they can maintin a consistent level of quality. That's all.

--matleo
  10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well, I agreed about Elmo's World not being beneficial to the show. I'd really never encourage my kids to watch it. (There's plenty of classic DVDs to choose from). Though, the rest of the article was mainly confusing.
  11. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

Never! The shows not gonna go off anytime soon!!

This article is ridiculus....
  12. abiraniriba

abiraniriba New Member

No No No

Don't kill da boid. KILL DA LITTLE RED MONSTER BY HAVING DA BOID STEP ON HIM! HA HA HA!!!
  13. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

Should Ernie and Bert get a place outside the Basement
  14. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Naaaa...

I kind of wonder why his 'bird' instincts don't kick in and he swoops down and take slimey dack to his layer, mauhaha!:crazy:
  15. IgorPonweed

IgorPonweed New Member

I definitely do NOT agree with this! The show will still go on for a while! And SHE thinks that it's advertising obesity! COOKIE'S EATING VEGETABLES!!!!!!! Let's list the things that are wrong about that! After dinner!
  16. SillyRed

SillyRed Member

It's good there are a lot of educational shows for preschoolers right now!
  17. Effralyo

Effralyo Active Member

Grrr... Someone wants BB to die??... *shields the Bird and yells*
    Paws off the SS guys! And just you dare to touch a hair on Zeliboba's head!
  18. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

so am I the only one who thinks people aren't actully reading what this guy has to say? I know it's long but if you read it he's not dissing sesame street.
    He's giving you the pros and cons of the show.:attitude:
  19. IgorPonweed

IgorPonweed New Member

I skimmed through it. :o
  20. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I read it all and he does make some good points, he's really not putting down the show. But I don't agree with eerything he had to say about it, exactly.