Tips on building life-size Animal head

Reaction score
New to the forums and thanks everyone who posts here for helping me get started!

I've been planning to make an Animal Halloween costume for little while now and wanted to get your takes on my planning so far. I'm going to use the ball head template I found through the forums here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41111968@N00/1763163362/in/set-72157602722672544/. I'm having trouble determining the exact size I need to blow up the pattern to fit my head to though. My first paper test was too small for my head, printed out at 30" x 14".

I picked up some 1/2" foam at Joann's (www.joann.com), which was the absolute only place in the DC area I could find it - it was cheap at around $10 per yard. I'm thinking about mounting the foam onto a bike helmet so I can comfortably wear it. If I need I may shape part of the head with 14-gauge wire, both ideas which I got from these guys: http://cheriewao.blogspot.com/2008/11/electric-mayhem-rising.html. I was really impressed with all of these costumes but thought the Animal costume could have been better.

I bought some simple boa craft fur for the eyebrows that will look perfect but I'm struggling to find the perfect material for Animal's fur/hair. I don't want to simply blanket the head in fabric because it takes away from the light, airy feel and look to Animal's hair. If you have suggestions please let me know!

I will update with pictures as the project progresses.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Seeing as it's for a costume, you could use wool for the hair, considering the size and limited use it's gonna get. Plus, because it will be larger than the real Animal the thickness of wool might scale up better?
Because of the size of Animal's head in relation to his body, I wouldn't worry too much about the exact scale of it, just blow it up to a fairly big size and it'll look fine. Scale it up an easy scale, say like 1:3, using the grid method to draw the patterns up.
I'd pad out the sides of the head slightly when you've got the round head glued together though, because his head is more oval than perfectly round.

I think somebody on here was part of This muppets cosplay group.

Reaction score
Do you mean yarn? That was my first thought, though it'll take quite a while to thread each individual "hair" into the head. Good thing I got started on my costume early this year.

That Electric Mayhem cosplay is incredible! If someone on the forums knows more about that please reply.

Thanks for the help :halo:

muppetperson

Reaction score
there are now Animal latex masks that have hit the market for halloween.

Reaction score
I've seen those but I prefer to make my costumes rather than buying a $50 rubber mask. All inclusive my entire costume could easily cost less than that. Plus it barely even looks like Animal (looks closer to Elmo!).

Reaction score
Update w/ photo

I only have a couple days left to finish, but here it is so far:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/JSpiler/Animal.jpg

I know it looks a little tall rather than wide unfortunately, but it looks a bit better when it's on my head. I'm still trying to figure out the eyelid mechanism which is why he's still bald on top, plus I have a lot of hair to add all over anyway. I'm worried the hair will simply look too "thin" in the end, but we'll see. I will also add some scattered purple and orange hairs throughout.

I have a styrofoam ball for the nose which I'm covering in red cotton fabric (t-shirt) but it's difficult to get rid of all the visible creases and such. I also made teeth out of modeling clay which I will glue onto the mouth at the end - baked in oven so they are solid.

Looking back there's a lot I would have done differently but I still think it will look decent in the end. I would have changed the shape, put the eyes close together, made the entire "upper lip" area smaller and more. With the rest of the outfit I have (wrist spikes, neck spike w/ chain, red/yellow shirt, signature torn pants with rope belt, orange top, bottom and felt gloves) it should come together fine.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions for alteration since I have a few days left to fix it up! Will post final pics this weekend. Hoping to win the $3,000 costume contest at Clarendon Ballroom on Friday!

Thanks everyone! ~

Melonpool

Reaction score
You should use those makeup "wedges" they sell in drug stores for the teeth. They'll be a lot lighter and easier to use than the clay teeth (plus, they won't break).

here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.wondercloth.com/products/36/Wonder-Wedge-Dozen-Pack.htm

Like I said, you can find them in any make up department at Walgreen's, CVS, even Target or Walmart. I've used them for theeth on puppets and know a lot of puppet builders that swear by them.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Melonpool

Reaction score
Oh -- and you can easily cut the foam wedges to shape with scissors -- and you can hit glue them onto the puppet.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I was looking for something like that in the craft store but couldn't find it. This looks perfect for my needs.

Any suggestions to prevent the hair from looking so thin? That's my main concern at this point as I feel it's a primary aesthetic of Animal.