TMS fanfic: Masks

Puckrox

Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH SO MANY EMOTIONS I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN!

First and foremost, these were, by far, my two favorite lines of this entire chapter: "Like, so your squeeze is a guy, so what? You make a rilly cute couple" and "And all the more womens for the rest of us, hah hah!" They were just very much in character and they put a huge smile on my face.

Rizzo! Oh my God, I'm such a fan of the Rizzo-Gonzo dynamic in the films, and I'm glad he was there to give a few kind words to his friend in this chapter! It was a really small part, but I got super excited when it happened.

Scooter coming out to everyone was great. I mean, I knew everyone would accept him and they'd all be happy for him, but you did a great job capturing how nervous he was and, as stated two paragraphs above, everyone's reactions are so well scripted and I had no problem imagining them saying those things. But Scooter's monologue? About being scared of the general population's reaction to homosexuality? I cried like a baby. I'm not gay, but homophobia has always been something that makes me sick. And a lot of my friends are gay, so it really struck a chord with me. So, yes, I cried like a baby. His speech was very beautiful, in my opinion. You're a great writer.

I love this story way too much. I haven't gotten into too much Muppet fanfiction, but this is definitely one of two fanfics I read on the MC forums on a regular basis. Love it!

MORE SOON PLEASE! :wink::wink::wink:

Slackbot

Reaction score
wow, I'm pleasantly surprised at the reception this last chapter has gotten. I must confess that I was a little nervous about posting it, not only because of the subject matter, but because it's a very personal one for me. I put some of my own experiences into it. Not events so much as feelings and emotions. I can't say how glad I am that it seems to be making the point that I intended!

bazingababe24: Team Scanken? Heh, as in The Rockefeller Scanken? What do they play? Knowing Janken, I'm guessing they swim. :coy:

Muppetfan44: Thank you, I'm glad to hear that the character voices are ringing true. When writing something like this it's easy to fall into the trap of putting your own words into the characters' mouths. I've been especially careful about Piggy, as it's easy to lose her nuances and just write her as an egotistic diva. She deserves better than that.

dwmckim: Thank you, I'm glad that you've enjoyed reading this story! Heh, I love sticking in Easter eggs, especially when people spot them. (I was hoping someone would notice The Monster at The End of This Book, as I have happy memories of that book, and it matches the theme of this fic.) Originally Janken's Fraggleness (Fraggility?) was just an Easter egg, but then I got the DVD set, started watching, and... holy cow, this is good stuff! Once I learned more about Fraggles, that became part of the story, and also allowed a little outside perspective.

I remember a post about Piggy sometimes showing her softer side in Vet's Hospital, and was thinking about that when I wrote Kermit's line about her, and the scene a few segments later. Did you write that post? If so, then thank you for putting the idea in my head!

Puckrox: Heh, I'm glad you liked the "support lines" from the other characters. They were fun to write, especially because they're tension-breakers. I needed them after writing the segments which were based on my own experiences. It was rough writing that stuff, lemme tell you.

I didn't mean to make you cry; I hope the jokes afterward helped counterbalance that. And, well, "It gets better!" :wink:

More to come. I'm editing the final chapter on this story now, and expect to post it sometime this week. I'll see if Jan saved the blooper footage so I can put together an outtake reel.

Slackbot

Reaction score
And now, without further ado--or further adon't--here's the coda to

Masks, Part 17:
The Monster at The End of This Story
by Kim McFarland​

"I know what I see and it's fine by me."
- Boober and Sidebottom, Party Hard (Who Knows What You See)

It was a warm Tuesday afternoon. The Muppets had spent several hours deciding which takes would go in the broadcast version of the show. As they had three nights' worth of performances, they selected the best versions of each act, "best" meaning "most entertaining" rather than "highest quality." Generally speaking, this meant whichever got the most laughter or the loudest groans was the one they would show the world. The committee was officially composed of Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Scooter, Dr. Teeth, and Rowlf, but unofficially it included any Muppet who felt like coming down to watch the rushes.

Though it had only been onstage one night, they played the ad-libbed Veterinarian's Hospital sketch several times. It was a keeper, all right, and thus the Swedish Chef act that preceded it would also be used. They had even filmed some backstage business around it on Monday.

Now the footage was all set, and would be sent to the editors, who would assemble it into a broadcast show. Janken shut down the camera console. He was not a member of the committee; he had been running the control board. But his laughter counted as much as any other Muppet's. Even if he hadn't been needed, he wouldn't have missed this for anything. The weekly rushes for this show were fun.

As the others began chatting among themselves, discussing that week's disasters and triumphs—which were often the same thing—Scooter put a hand on Janken's shoulder. Janken looked up, then smiled. Scooter's grin was contagious, and it was good to see it again after all recent stress he had been through.

"What're you doing this evening?" Scooter asked.

"Lab work," Janken said apologetically. "The college lets me squidge my class schedule around because of this job, but I still have to put in my hours."

"Oh well. Maybe later."

"Yeah. Oh, I saw Skeeter yesterday. She wants to double date with us, now that she doesn't have to try to fix you up with someone, so she says."

"Sheesh. She doesn't give up."

"Nope. She wants to meet us after the show on Saturday. She's picked a movie."

"Which one?" Scooter asked. He already had a suspicion.

Janken looked upward thoughtfully. "Um, the title's an acronym. Four letters. R something."

"RHPS?"

"Yeah, that's the one."

"Oh boy." He and Skeeter had gone to that show fairly regularly when he first went to college. It was less a movie than a combination party and food fight. He said, "That's fun, but, well… I don't know if you'd like it. It's…er..."

Janken grinned. "I was just pulling your tail. Theater arts major here, remember? How could I not know about that movie? I've just never seen it. I told her I'd ask you, and she said not to let you squirm out of it. So, what do you say?"

"Oh… all right. Sure, it'll be fun. Maybe Skeeter'll wear that costume she used to. You wouldn't believe what she does to her hair."

"What does she do?"

"I'll show you pictures. Say, you know what they call people who've never seen that movie?"

Slyly Janken said, "Yeah. I'm looking forward to being cured." He took Scooter's hand.

The two walked out to the bus hand-in-hand, and none of the other Muppets seemed to notice. It wasn't as if the subject was taboo; it simply didn't bother them. That was just what Scooter had hoped for: acceptance among those who mattered to him.

Janken said, "Maybe sometime you can come visit my home. The next time I'll be off, in the winter, it'll be too cold in the caves. But maybe in the spring?"

"Sure, I'd like that."

"Great."

They exited the theater house. The Electric Mayhem's bus was there, and Janken's bicycle was chained to a rack. He and Scooter hugged, and Janken was surprised to feel Scooter give him a quick peck on the cheek. He gave him an answering kiss. Then the two separated, grinning at each other.

Rowlf remarked, "You know, we could put you two in an 'At The Dance' number."

That broke the spell. Janken chuckled, then said as he unlocked his bike, "But who'd run the cameras?"

With a backward glance Scooter boarded the bus. As it started off Janken began pedaling to his apartment, tail waving cheerfully.

On the way back, Kermit and Miss Piggy sat together. Neither spoke, and their quiet was not due to tension. Piggy was more relaxed now, Kermit noticed. The thing about her childhood pictures seemed to have blown over quickly enough, as The Daily Scandal had stopped sniping at her and shifted focus to Gonzo.

Kermit still wondered why those photos and the mention of her past had upset her so much. There had to be some reason, something she was not ready to face. But, he decided, that was her right. He would let it lie. If she ever did want to talk about it, he'd be there. But for now, he would just accept her for herself.

When the bus arrived back at the boarding house most of the Muppets went into the living room to hang out and have fun. Gonzo, however, went back up to his room. He took a folded piece of newsprint out of his pocket. It was a page from that day's edition of The Daily Scandal. As he had expected, they had printed a story about his past. It was greatly fictionalized, the story he had told the audience fleshed out with details he had never given. They had even run a mug shot. He could have been angry, but… well, it didn't matter. None of the quotes attributed to him sounded like anything he'd say, and anyone who knew him could tell that the mug shot was fake; the photo they had altered was much too recent. What had surprised him most, though, was the tone of the article. Instead of the usual jeering tell-all, it made him out to be a pitiful victim of society, suffering heroically until he finally made good. That was embarrassing, but it also described how the TMI had helped him, and maybe a few people who read this might remember that part of the message when they saw someone else in need.

He put the paper down. Compared with what he had feared, this was not too bad, he had to admit. He knew that Fleet Scribbler hadn't had a change of heart; as Cathy had said, he wrote whatever would sell papers, and sometimes that was sap instead of scandal. And, well, nobody took those things seriously; it would be forgotten as soon as the next issue hit the stands.

He decided that something good would come of it. He took out a pen and some paper, and began to write.
Dear Mrs. Soeur,

This letter must come to you as a surprise after what I said to you at the theater.

If I hurt your feelings, and I guess I'm sure I did, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be a creep. I just wasn't ready to face my past. Now I know I can't blame you or any of my other foster parents for anything. I think you did the best you could. If it was anyone's fault, it wouldn't do much good to lay blame anyway, would it? All that happened years ago.

A few days ago, at a TMI benefit show, I talked about my past. When we met I told you not to tell anyone how you know me, but since it's no longer a secret, you can if you want. I won't mind.

Funny, all this was clear in my head when I was thinking about this letter, but now that I'm writing it it's getting all jumbled up. I guess I've said the important stuff. Sorry for being harsh back then, and thanks for explaining things to me. Maybe we can meet again. I promise I won't get weird about it this time.

Sincerely,

Gonzo
He folded the letter and put it in an envelope. It was already addressed; he had looked her up the previous day, when he had first considered writing to her. He held the sealed envelope in his hand for a moment, considering. Then he gave a small smile and walked down the stairs. He could hear the chatter of the Muppets in the living room, punctuated with bursts of laughter, and smell pizza.

He dropped the envelope in the outgoing mail basket and joined his friends.

All characters except Janken are copyright © The Muppets Studio, LLC. Party Hard (Who Knows What You See) is copyright © The Jim Henson Company. All copyrighted properties are used without permission but with much respect and affection. Janken and the overall story are copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'm so sad this fic is over, but it had such a wonderfully nice little ending. The part with Janken and Scooter was adorable, and I'm glad Gonzo's moving on. And RHPS reference for the win! :big_grin:

Great fic! I'll miss it.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm happy you enjoyed the ride! I have no idea what happens next, but I bet something will occur to me. It usually does. :wink:

Heh, I'm a RHPS veteran. I first performed in college in 1988 (I know, I'm so dang old) and have done, by my estimation, over 1000 shows since then. I'm not sure; I stopped counting around 300. My main character was Frank, but I played 'em all.

I doubt Scooter will dress for the show, although Skeeter will probably try to talk him into wearing a bow tie. She'll be all costumed up, though, and hopefully I'll have the time to draw her and her indescribable hairdo by the weekend.

Do they make striped fishnet stockings?

Puckrox

Reaction score
That's so awesome that you've participated in so many RHPS's! I... have actually never been to a live performance. My friends and I were going to go my senior year of high school, but then it didn't happen. I'll have to go eventually. Someday.

I'm sure you could find stripped fishnets. I can totally imagine Skeeter dressing up and going all out for it. Scooter... maybe not quite as much. :smile:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Puckrox: When you see Skeeter's hair I doubt you'll even look at her stockings. It rates an eight on the "holy crud" meter. As for Scooter, I think he'll pass on the costuming because the obvious choice is Brad, and I think he'd rather not be called... well, you know. But he'll have a good time anyway, at least in part because it's always fun to see the reactions of a RHPS virgin. Poor Janken will suffer terminal culture shock. Or laugh his fuzzy butt off.

Muppetfan44: Yep, that's the end of this story. The main characters have been put through their wringers, their issues have been resolved, and they deserve a break. They're still doing stuff between stories; it's just off-camera...until another story idea occurs to me. Originally I didn't plan to write more than "Bein' Blue", but then "Before Gonzo was Great" and "Muppets from Earth" took over my brain. And that was gonna be all, but then here came "Masks", which was in part spurred by The Count's reaction to "Monsters from The Past". So... we'll see where these guys go from here. There may well be more. :wink:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Masks, Part Whatever:
Outtakes

by Kim McFarland​

This is a genuine outtake. It was what I originally wrote for the Muppet Labs segment in part 6. It's not bad, but on rereading it I thought it was a touch out of character for Muppet Labs to try to invent something that might possibly be useful. It's much funnier to start with a nonsensical premise (like cereal sorting) and have it go downhill from there.

The curtains opened on Muppet Labs. Dr. Bunsen Honeydew said, "Greetings from Muppet Labs, where the future is being made today. And we have an invention that will be such a boon to the world, I can't begin to tell you! How many times have you been driving along the highway and seen retreads by the side of the road?"

Beaker hefted a big orange garbage bag onto the desk. Bunsen took out a torn retread. "Ugh. These are so messy. And dangerous, too." He tossed it away; Beaker dodged it by quickly retracting his head into his collar. The retread sailed overhead. As Beaker rolled a tire covered with a retread onto the desk Bunsen said, "The solution to this dilemma is childishly simple. As retreads are useful only as long as they remain on the tire, we have painted a chemical on the backs of the retreads to make them self-destruct as soon as they come off. My assistant, Beaker, will demonstrate."

Beaker squeaked a panicky protest. Bunsen said, "Oh, come now, Beaker, we've been through this. Do you or do you not want to add to the sum total of mankind's knowledge?" Beaker sighed and turned back to the tire. 'That's better," Bunsen said. "All is well until the retread comes off." There was a small explosion, and the retread flew off in a scrap of rubber and landed on top of the desk. Bunsen continued, "The chemical on the back is light-sensitive. When exposed, the biodegradation process begins!" Beaker peered at it curiously. It sizzled softly for a moment, then burst into flames. Beaker yelped and ran offstage. He returned with a tank and sprayed the rubber with it. The fire blazed higher. Beaker screamed and jumped back, then looked at the tank. His hand was covering the label, which was revealed to be "OXYGEN." Unfazed, Bunsen said, "As you see, the retread incinerates itself, leaving behind pure carbon. This will revolutionize road safety and beauty once the bugs are worked out."

Beaker jabbered at Bunsen. Bunsen replied, "Why yes, I would call this burning rubber. Good joke, Beakie!"

The curtains closed and the fire extinguishers came out. Backstage, Gonzo exclaimed, "That was so cool!"