TMS Season 2 Box Set - 2007 Release?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Marky said:
Any Post-Henson project where ABC or Disney has had their hooks in it (with the exceptions of MCC and MTI), they seem to miss the mark it as the humor comes across as predictable and contrived. Not so with Muppets from Space, and the great-for-a-tv-movie IAVMMCM.
A Muppet Christmas Carol is one of the most moving Muppet films to date. It has so much of the Henson touch, and the only reason I would ever describe it as "predictable" is because it is based on a well-known book.

As for Muppets From Space, I felt a great deal of the film to be a bit... Sesame Street. Don't get me wrong, I do love Muppets From Space, but I would say it is my least favorite of the six Muppet films and the made-for-TV-movies. Whether you agree with me or not, I though The Muppets Wizard of Oz was better.

Muppet Treasure Island is also a great movie, overlooked by so many. Jerry Nelson didn't really play any major characters in it, but his voice is found heavily in most all of the songs, which is just great! It also beats Pirates of the Carribean out of the water as BEST PIRATE MOVIE EVER!!! :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
As for Muppets From Space, I felt a great deal of the film to be a bit... Sesame Street. Don't get me wrong, I do love Muppets From Space, but I would say it is my least favorite of the six Muppet films and the made-for-TV-movies. Whether you agree with me or not, I though The Muppets Wizard of Oz was better.
I agree that Mwoo was better than Muppets From Space (after that film I felt I needed space from the Muppets). MFS had a feel as if someone took a cookie-cutter model from the old Muppet movies and the Muppets and made fakes. If ever there was a predictable Muppet filme, it was that one. Though the Noah thing caught me off-guard.

Bea:zany:{btw, at least 20never is before 30never!!!!}regard

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
Dil said:
This does NOT have much to do with the Season 2 Box Set.

Crazed Gonzo Fan said
'Does any one know the month it is expected to be releaseed?'
Thank You Dil. :smile: :big_grin: :crazy:

Marky

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I agree that Mwoo was better than Muppets From Space (after that film I felt I needed space from the Muppets). MFS had a feel as if someone took a cookie-cutter model from the old Muppet movies and the Muppets and made fakes. If ever there was a predictable Muppet filme, it was that one. Though the Noah thing caught me off-guard.

Bea:zany:{btw, at least 20never is before 30never!!!!}regard
Well I guess that's all subject to opinion. I liked Muppets from Space. I think putting Gonzo up front was a good move. I thought Jeff Trembor & Bobo were great, and the lab rat sequences were cute, too. It was also the last time Frank Oz was in one, and really - it shows.

Blinky_Fish

Reaction score
Okay - 'nuff about the Disney Mothball issue... Has anyone had any useful information concerning the DVD sets - Please no more commentary on the Big Brother issue - Just the facts... My head hurts from reading the same stuff over and over again. :smile:

Marky

Reaction score
Spring 2007? Isn't that what it says on kidstvmovies.about.com?

Gonzo14

Reaction score
i've been wondering that too, when is the second season coming out, i can't wait to buy it since i've only seen a handful of Muppet Show episodes (other than Season 1, which i've seen all of now, of course)

Feknoze

Reaction score
Good wholesome family entertainment .. could it go hi-def?

Bear Man said:
You're judging Disney on what exactly? One DVD release, another delayed one and Muppets Wizard of Oz, and from that you're claiming they've ruined them and are never going to do anything good, ever, ever again. Please commence the wailing and gnashing of teeth now.

It annoys me more than I can articulate the tendancy to criticise big corporations, simply because they have the gall to have been successful in creating a brand. McDonalds? The sole reason the world is so fat. Microsoft? Pure evil intent on global domination. Disney? Souless and uncreative. The fact is, that as companies become successful they grow. If they don't grow, they aren't able to continue to innovate, to continue to produce goods and services - they aren't able to meet the increased demand that is created through their previous successes, and therefore they fail and go under.

It's not as if there was huge demand for Muppet productions before Disney bought them, and I would almost guarantee that had Disney not acquired them, they would have even less visability than they do now. Step outside of your little closed fan community and see exactly what the demand is for Muppets in the outside world - it is not that popular. But, of course, Disney should take a loss on a DVD set by releasing it when the few fans want it, instead of taking time to develop a proper marketing strategy and hopefully have at least some mild success.

You know what? I couldn't get all the way through Muppets Wizard of Oz - didn't like it much, and yeah, that Christmas special was better (although not by that much). But you're judging Disney on ONE production in two years? Come on! How much Muppet rubbish appeared BEFORE Disney bought them? Muppets from Space was terrible, Muppet Christmas Carol was more dripping in Disney-fied sugar than Oz was, Muppets Tonight flopped like a bad pancake...I could go on and on. There were periods under Henson and the German owners (whose name escapes me currently) where the Muppets were under-used, or completely silent, and for a good time longer than two years (and let's not forget that in the two years Disney has owned them, we have one original series DVD set, a new TV movie, and a commitment to providing high-end collectibles).

Bein Green is right - it is what the Muppets stand for that is no longer popular in mainstream entertainment, and the way forward that I see is the "retro" market. Marky - Disney has been responsible for quite a lot of "hip" franchises recently (although I think if anything is described as "hip" these days it's a fairly good indication that it's not!), and to say the Muppets aren't "hip" because of Disney is ridiculous. It takes years to create a brand, and even longer to re-create a brand that has been allowed to stagnate and not evolve with the times. The blame for THAT mistake cannot be placed with Disney. Sure, there were attempts by JHC (Muppets Tonight, for example), but the focus on Sesame Street and child-focussed, family-friendly Muppet films in the intervening years between the original Muppet Show and the attempt to update positioned Kermit and co. in the wrong place in the eyes of the public. Give Disney a chance - see if they can be succesful in it, and be prepared to see some failures.

I will give you this - the unfortunate thing is that, because of the culture we live in now, and because companies like Disney have huge responsibilities to shareholders, there is less freedom to experiment than in the past, failures are not tolerated, and if a property like the Muppets start to be seen as a failure, it is more likely to be discarded than have huge amounts of money thrown at it to see if they can make it successful. That's not Disney's fault though, that is a simple fact of life.

And for those that think the Muppets would be better off if they were still with the Jim Henson company, let's not forget that they've sold them off twice now...it seems to me that they don't want to be throwing money at a property that is probably past its prime...
I have to agree with what bearman said above. There is no reason to assume that Disney have mothballed season 2; Disney is not the worst thing to happen to the muppets. I am starting to wonder because of the delay if they are heading to blueray of HD-DVD. That would of course be awesome if they could release perfect copies or perhaps someway remastered. No compression needed. all the features that could be incorporated.
I think Muppet Treasure Island was filmed in Hi-Def, (or at least shown in hi-def on sky) i'm assuming the same can be said for MWOO. Who knows maybe they are just holding back for that reason. I would rather they switched media now, than 5 years down the line when I have all 5 series of muppets on DVD.
Was Muppets Tonight really that bad? Personally I really enjoyed it. Hope they release that too. MFS was not really my cup of tea, but some great parts in it.... my mind wanders to pepe in his balerina dress :big_grin:
Overall, these are good fun, wholesome family entertainment, My friends kids love it when I put them on. My kid has his own Kermit and Animal plush, (who's hands he's loves biting.)