TMS: Would Its Quality Decline If Continued?

Would TMS Decline In Quality If Continued?

• YES

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • NO

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • DRUMS DRUMS

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
As we watch shows like the simpsons, modern family, or even something like SS we sigh thinking how the show is now a shadow of its glorious past, but would that happen to TMS if there was a season 6,7,8,9,or even 10? I mean there are only so many guest stars and sketches they could continue to keep fresh, would the backstage plot decline, or would the show slip back to a season 1 running gag plot format? What would happen to TMS if it was pushed past the breaking point?

I guess that kind of depends on HOW much longer it continued. A show like The Simpsons (which is either still in or just wrapped up its 25th season) got stale basically because it's been on for over two decades, and it's been trying to stay relevant (a bit too desperately, at times) through that period. If the Muppet Show stayed on for, say, 10 years, I think it's possible that it could slip into that, but I think an extra season or two could have been just as great as the five seasons we know and love.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then of course, there are shows that are relatively short, and can't even manage to keep consistent quality for the couple seasons it's actually on.

I do agree a sixth season of TMS wouldn't exactly have been too huge a drop in quality or totally stale, but it really seems Jim and crew felt different. The 80's was a real period of exploration for Jim. It really speaks for something that the only regular Muppet Show characters project was an animated series for younger audiences.

Though it does also speak to revivals. MT failed trying to copy TMS, but succeeded by doing it's own thing. Especially when some of the skits tried too hard to emulate TMS, and for the wrong reasons too boot (cough cough... Pigs in Space:big_grin:eep Dish 9). All without what made them work in the first place, some with a baffling and awkward concoction of original and classic characters that didn't quite fit. Then again, the original parody elements of the series were hit or miss as well, but that's another story. In fact, the two most brilliant things that MT did different than TMS (which, sadly happened way too late in the series) was to stop focusing on one special guest star and having several cameos in a series, and working on more complex backstage stories with character development. Something that also greatly improved the original TMS concept with the comics. Seriously... the one with Clint Wacky and Scooter's subplot about having hidden writing talent? I don't think there's one of us here who isn't kinda shaking their fists that that didn't happen in the original series.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If there's one thing I can say about The Muppet Show it's that there are some things about the show I wouldn't miss if they made a new show that abandoned the concept. Sometimes the fawning over guest stars was a little... awkward, unnecessary, and unwatchable. Something pretty painful about the bad guest stars. I love the show dearly, but in some aspects, I feel the comic book version improved upon the format with the lack of using any name guest stars. Imagine a Muppet Show series that had story arcs and more character developments.
While the idea of more Muppet character development is definitely fun, there's so much I adore about the Muppet Show guest star moments. It's hard to describe. The whole idea of celebrity can become very jaded and distasteful. But it's so lovely to see these people in unpretentious, loving moments with the Muppets. It serves to remind the audience that these are true actors, artists, and not just "movie stars." And I'm sure many of those guest stars were reminded of that as well for themselves. The Muppet Show showcased their pure talent, without sensationalizing it. And that is a rare thing.

There's such a humbling feeling about it all. It's like the song Linda Ronstadt episode, "When I grow too old to dream, your love will live in my heart." Yeah, we're human, we're going to grow old, lose that magic. But the Muppets won't, they're never going to leave. I feel that sentiment is there in all the guest star segments somehow.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Muppet guest stars help keep the show centered and on track. They also create new dynamics every week to keep everything fresh. They are an integral part of the Muppets' films and shows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It really depends on the guest star too. The ones who enjoyed being there gave us some great episodes. John Cleese's episode was always a favorite of mine, even causing the show to gain Monty Python-esque humor due to his assist. Then there's when the guest star stinks, making the episode awkward, especially when they obviously don't want to be there. Or worse... when they pull a Liberace and hijack the entire show. Seriously, all you can say about the Lady Gaga special goes triple for that Liberace episode. When he was on Batman, at least he let Batman do what Batman does. Muppets, not so much.

Though I agree that overall, the guest stars worked for TMS. But there's a lot of valuable time that could have been spent on more moments of character development. They had them, and they were capable of them as well. They just didn't use them that often. A revival series would be wise to look to the end of MT for inspiration of how the show should be formed. If they try to emulate TMS, they'll at best make a retread.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It really depends on the guest star too. The ones who enjoyed being there gave us some great episodes. John Cleese's episode was always a favorite of mine, even causing the show to gain Monty Python-esque humor due to his assist. Then there's when the guest star stinks, making the episode awkward, especially when they obviously don't want to be there. Or worse... when they pull a Liberace and hijack the entire show.

Besides Harvey Korman, are there any guest stars who are known to have not really wanted to be on the show? I'm guessing that after the first or second season they didn't have many guests who didn't want to be on the show (they had a waiting list for guests, after all).

Yeah, the Liberace one isn't good, but they sort of made up for it before the concert, making the show quite fast-paced, combining two recurring sketches into one, and even starting backstage (okay, in the canteen) before Kermit's introduction. I really like most of the pre-concert scenes in that episode (I also don't like the UK spot in that episode), and while most of the concert for the birds is boring, at least the closing number is entertaining.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
A revival series would be wise to look to the end of MT for inspiration of how the show should be formed. If they try to emulate TMS, they'll at best make a retread.
Television loves retreads, lol. It's shows that only last 2 seasons they prefer to forget. Maybe it's not always fair, I honestly didn't follow MT much, but that's showbiz. :stick_out_tongue: