TMX Ernie doll?

crazy4ernie

Reaction score
I'm new to this site so please bear with me. :stick_out_tongue: I am an Ernie collector, don't get me wrong, not an Ernie and Bert collector but just an Ernie collector. He is my absolute favorite character so I figured I would join this website after coming across it numerous times in my web searches. I don't know if this is quite where I am supposed to be posting this but it is about Sesame Street merchandise.

I first heard about the TMX Elmo doll last year. I saw it working online and thought it was a very cute idea. Then found out they had made an Ernie and Cookie Monster doll too. Naturally I became even more excited when I found out they would be realeasing it in America some months later. I figured I could wait because I would have too if I wanted an English speaking doll. I had high hopes as it was nearing October and I still hadn't heard any new information. So I looked it up again online and saw somewhere on this site that the dolls were still being released but they would be smaller versions. It was a slight disappointmen but I figured I could still get one for my year old daughter this Christmas and another for my collection. Well today I became outraged, I was babysitting my nephew who happened to have the new TMX Cookie Monster doll. He loved it but as we played with it I realized just how cheezy it was. There is only one spot to make him laugh, his belly, very unlike his red monster counterpart whom has 3 tickle spots. (The belly, neck and feet.) On top of which he only does one kind of laughter he sits on the floor laughing, and then when you do it again he sits down then rolls over with laughter. Well that is all great and dandy but where is the kicking feet? Where is the slapping hand? Where is the fun? And again the doll is smaller which is overlookable but I guess I just fell in love with the Spanish, and German versions of the doll.

I am going to get intouch with Mattel's customer service department and ask why we American's get such a cheezy version of the doll while they are mass producing the big version for other countries. I'm willing to pay the extra money to have my Ernie in the English speaking, big version, but I'm just one person. I wanted to know if anyone else was as upset with the smaller american versions of Ernie or Cookie Monster?

I will probably still buy the doll, I have alot of others, I'm just disappointed in it, or maybe in Mattel for putting such a cheezier version on the market.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I have serious problems with Mattel at the moment, what with its leaden painted toys and it's failure to make a decent priced quality toy line in recent years. But I do not understand why they couldn't do TMX Ernie in the US? It wouldn't cost too much, since all the parts have been designed, and it wouldn't cost too much to make more, and all they really need to do is call in Steve Whitmire to record some English Ernie dialogue. Other than that, it may be that a 40 dollar price tag is going to scare off some consumers.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:stick_out_tongue: Ah, the days when Sesame Street was populated by more than just Elmo. And now that they've introduced Abby it seems like someone at SW wants to make a mark by focussing attention away from the main gang. :frown:

One thing I did find inspirational was an online store was selling a chess set a while back that had the classic Sesame gang (absent Elmo, but including Prairie Dawn). Made me smile.

I think an Ernie could sell these days if they'd give him room and a chance. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Does anyone seem to forget that Ernie was more popular than Bert? You knw, the Sing and Snore Ernie that follwed Tickle me Elmo? For a while the merchandise seemed to focus soully on Ernie and Elmo... and sometimes either Big Bird or Cookie Monster.

Anyway, Elmo is their biggest seller, so why not have Elmo be the focus of merchandising? I will say they have made progress, and we're starting to see the likes of Oscar and Bert back in there, but the Elmo dolls sell. That's why us fans are clammoring for decent merchandising for older fans.

crazy4ernie

Reaction score
I agree with having problems with Mattel at the moment, but it wouldn't stop me from buying the doll for myself. I have Ernie dolls for my baby already and she recognizes the character when we watch TV. She plays with her OLD pop up and sing toy and loves to make Ernie pop up. I don't think that people liking characters have anything to do with how much they show him on TV, however, if they calmed down on Elmo it would give the other characters a chance. Me, myself I am only 21 but I remember the good ol' sesame street days. I loved Ernie and my older sister loved Elmo...and ever since then I had a big disliking for him lol. I mean c'mon how many people like those characters who only have a short role. Barkley, Guy Smiley, Slimy, the aliens... I mean what they really need to do is show Follow That Bird a couple of times on TV. It shows a ton of characters and the main character Big Bird. I'm really thinking that one of these days I will turn on Sesame Street and see Elmo leading the way to Sesame Street instead of Big Bird. I mean Big Bird isn't my favorite character but that's who he is. I think Sesame Street will always have a market but if they want to market more Elmo they should just make a completely different show out of Elmo's world.

And on another token, they have Play With Me Sesame, which I've watched a few times and became rather fond of, if you haven't seen it, it has a lot of the old shows skits and the main characters are Ernie, Bert, Prarie Dawn and I think either Grover or Cookie Monster (I haven't watched it in a few months so I can't really remember which but I love 'em both.) If they were to put that on a more excessable channel, then I'm sure they could market to that crowd. I would love to see more Ernie. And don't get me wrong I understand why they would market a goal kicking soccer Ernie to other countries, but that doesn't mean that their other dolls shouldn't be here too.

Sorry about the rant I'm just glad I finally found a place to vent. :stick_out_tongue:

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Funny... i just went lookin around about 1-2 weeks ago to see if they finally came out. But its really crazy that they sell for a $5 difference, and they're not as fun.

still... id REALLY want to buy them, but i'll wait around.

BTW if anyone is intrested, they have both on Youtube so you can see what they look like and how they act.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I am going to think twice about buying from Mattell for awhile. And it doesn't surprise me that the Cookie toy isn't as fun as the Elmo doll. Heh, for once we Americans get the sort end of the stick.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am going to think twice about buying from Mattell for awhile.
Why? the lead paint, or the outright crappiness of most of their toys as of late?

I do say, I would like the TMX Cookie. I thought these were selling for 20, from the discription... but they're 30. It would have been cheaper just to have the TMX Ernie imported, instead of redesigned, and just recorded English dialogue for the toy.

anytimepally

Reaction score
if any of you live near an ALDI, they have TMX Ernie and TMX Cookie Monster for $24.99