Too all the people Undercharging for Thier work

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
In the end Face facts we are building puppets as a business

we all get contacted by Commercial companies, and production companies, and TV , and Music Video people, all claiming that they have no money , and that their project will be the next big thing and it will help us get further , they all promise to remeber us next time,

but ,

well

Ill let Harlan Ellison explain, be warned a little rough language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Onath

Reaction score
Nice Post. Thanks for linking the video.

I had someone asking the other day for puppets to be commisioned of 8 of the people in their office. I was excited about the project and I said I could do it and was curious what the budget was. They responded back with an insult of "we were thinking about $45 a puppet." I sent them an interesting email, let's put it that way. I would like to second what you said Ravagefrackle that be sure they pay you what you are worth and don't kill yourself making stuff for people who won't pay!

biblebetty

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. I'm so tried of the atttuide of people towards puppet & shows. the puppets themselves (grown adults playing with dolls) or just going behind the curtain to help themselves to the puppets. When you tell them to please not touch the puppets and explain what it would cost to replace them they look at you like your crazy! I've built them and it takes a lot of Imagination, hard work, hrs of labor, materials are not cheap, foam, material, props, and skills (drawing, sewing, costume making, pattern making etc) and the tools u need to buy to built (glue, sissors, knifives, sewing machine, thread, etc) classes and seminars, website time to research, don't forget to buy a stage if you'ur a performer, equipment and props for that. boy I'm tried. No wonder it so expensive.

wes

Reaction score
Oh crap,Old White Boy went Ghetto, thats a trip!

dang I wouldn't want to get him started on that again!

I watched some of his other clips he seams full of him self just a little.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. I mean, I'm not a professional puppeteer yet, I'm justing starting out, but I understand where you're coming from. I just spoke with this who does commercials and I had an idea where puppets could be used in his commercials and he looked at me like I was nuts and went on to say that puppets are too childish.

You know what else annoys him? When people say things like, "Oh, that was a good voice for that puppet." or "That was a funny voice." We don't just do voices, we're performers, not voice actors. People don't realize that the voice is actually secondary. It's the creation of character and the performance of the puppet that comes first.

Onath

Reaction score
UPDATE

So the commision I had wrote about earlier in this thread of where they wanted to pay me for $45 each puppet and have them build 8 puppets.

Well I had wrote them back and told them that it was absurd to think $45 was acceptable for anything. I mean come on it costs $40 to fill my tank of gas on my van half way.

In any case I gave them a realistic quote and listed the materials and talked about the process of making the puppet including dyeing the fabric, fabricating clothing, having to make accesories and what not. I told them for me to do the project I need to be paid for my time as well as the materials and so on.

Well they wrote back. They said they did not intend to insult me with there price and that they were uninformed of how much work goes into puppet making. They said they were still really pleased with my work and the photos I sent them of my portfolio and would love to pay the price I quoted them.

So this all goes to show everyone you have to inform them and maybe stuff will work out in your benefit. The more people that are informed the better it is for all of us.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
UPDATE

So the commision I had wrote about earlier in this thread of where they wanted to pay me for $45 each puppet and have them build 8 puppets.

Well I had wrote them back and told them that it was absurd to think $45 was acceptable for anything. I mean come on it costs $40 to fill my tank of gas on my van half way.

In any case I gave them a realistic quote and listed the materials and talked about the process of making the puppet including dyeing the fabric, fabricating clothing, having to make accesories and what not. I told them for me to do the project I need to be paid for my time as well as the materials and so on.

Well they wrote back. They said they did not intend to insult me with there price and that they were uninformed of how much work goes into puppet making. They said they were still really pleased with my work and the photos I sent them of my portfolio and would love to pay the price I quoted them.

So this all goes to show everyone you have to inform them and maybe stuff will work out in your benefit. The more people that are informed the better it is for all of us.
Wow, good for you Onath! You should be proud of yourself.

As for that video, that guys does seem a bit angry, but it's obviously because he's been screwed over alot of times before.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
He's a little tainted, but VERY interesting. Reminds me of my neighbor. Got a good laugh. It's always admirable when people HAVE an opinion and they're not afraid to say it.