Top 10 Alphabet Segments!!!

mikealan

Reaction score
Hi! Here is the TOP 10 ALPHABET SEGMENTS list!

Now, Top Ten Muppet Alphabet Segments:

1) Kermit's African Alphabet song-I remember hearing it on the Muppet Movie Lyric Archive in early 2002 and heard it on Muppet Central Radio. It's available on The Best of Kermit video!
2) Kermit and Joey sing the ABCDEFG Cookie Monster-I remember seeing that a couple of times as a kid, saw previews of it because it's so popular and I get to see the whole clip of it on Sesame Street Unpaved-episode #536 at the Museum of Television & Radio
3) An old, old AM skit where an early purple naked muppet (voiced by Jim Henson) and an early green naked muppet (voiced by Frank Oz) recite the alphabet. Saw that for the first time on Sesame Street Unpaved-episode #536 at the Museum of Televison & Radio. I, of course, have the pic of it where they said "Z!"
4) Elmo helps Grover to say the alphabet to him and ends with Grover saying the letter Z. Saw that on #3829!
5) The blue-headed Boss lets Lefty to say the alphabet secret. After Lefty says the alphabet secret, the Boss earns him a lollipop. I have this clip on video. It was on the 1987-88 season.
6) Herry lets Grover keep the alphabet secret, but Grover tells his old monster friends about the secret! At the end, Herry says, "You're very good at reciting the alphabet Grover, but you're lousy at keeping secrets!" I never saw it, but I have the script of it on the SSU book.
7) Grover and Oscar recite the alphabet together. For example, Grover went "A is for Apple!" Then Oscar went "B is for Blecchh!" I also never saw it, but I have the script of it on the SSU book.
8) The AM skit where two Muppet kids play Alphabet Hide-and-Seek. When one Muppet forgets the alphabet, the other Muppet wins! I have the clip on the Rainstorm episode of Unpaved.
9) Baby Natasha recites the alphabet
10) The Boogie-Woogie-Pigs (as sung by the Oinker Sisters! They sing the alphabet on their skit, which it is on #3795, where Telly wants to jump on his pogo stick again, because Zoe took it from him. The sponsors of this episode are J and 3.

Now, Top Ten Animated/Live-Action Alphabet Segments!

1) The NOO-Nee-NOO Typewriter Guy-the SS fan's favorite letter series where the animated typewriter on wheels types a letter then a word. I have M-Magic on video, and I remember watching J-Jump, R-Rope and U-Umbrella on the Season 30 episodes I saw on Noggin.
2) New live-action segment-letters A-Z pop toward you out of the store or place titles. Saw that on #3793!
3) Old live-action film-letters on signs, streets, etc. Available on the video, "Learning About Letters"
4) Sand-like animations where a male voice announces the capital letter and a child's voice announces the small letter. These letter series also played banjo music in the background
5) Animated letter series where Luis's voice off-screen announces a capital letter and a small letter
6) Animated segment: 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZZZZZZ!" This was where we see lower-case letters in colored backgrounds as a male's voice says every small letter.
7) Animated segment: we see colored small letters and a yellow background that has all twenty-six black letters. This plays drum and trumpet music, too!
8) 26 Ways of Alphabet-it was where people draw letters by using sand, chalk, rocks, crayons, pencils, markers, pens, typewriters, stamps, computers, paint, etc.
9) Kids forming capital letters
10) the Limerick series

Now, here are EXTRA alphabet segments that brought us back memories!

1) Alphabet Bully (an animated segment)
2) Alphabet Jungle (an animated segment)
3) Alphabet Soup (an animated segment)
4) Alphaquest (the series where a live black girl explores the worlds of letters after she opens any door that has the sponsored letter. The letter versions I saw are B, D, F, H, M, P, R, S and W. ("Going on an Alphaquest!"))
5) the alphabet song (as sung by Ray Charles and re-done by Billy Idol and Lena Horne)
6) Madrigal Alphabet: the animation/song where mythical creatures form into capital letters
7) Kermit's Bayou Alphabet song
8) Animated segment: hands forming lower-case letters
9) Animated segment: the bird pops the upper-case letter and a voice off-screen announces the small letter
10) Art supplies form capital and small letters
11) Letters growing out of ground
12) Letter-shaped candles growing
13) Animated series: kids' voices off-screen says words that begin with any letter

CookieFan

Reaction score
I like celebrity guest sements, so a couple from this year...

Liam Neeson w/Ernie & rubber duckie

Ray Charles w/a variety of celeb clips

Although the Christopher Reeve ABC segment disturbed me a bit. Not sure why....

mikealan

Reaction score
I watched the Alphabet Fireworks skit today on one of the Season 30 episodes.

Mr. Looper

Reaction score
Hands down my favourite alphabet scene was when Big Bird sings the entire alphabet as a single word. Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz prounounced rougly: "Abkadefgeejekelminopqurstoovuxiz is the strangest word that I have ever seen..." or something like that =)

anyone remember the actual lyrics?

Hoop

CookieFan

Reaction score
The lyrics are in the Sesame Street Platinum CD (which my kid has just taken from me, so I can't type them out at the moment.....)

ISNorden

Reaction score
Here's part 1 of my "alphabet favorites" list: a favorite clip for each specific letter.

A: The Ape & A cartoon (The train to Spain was late today...)
B: Boy & his Bear Bosco (making "bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles" in the tub...enough to fill the screen eventually)
C: C is for Cookie, old style
D: Daddy Dear song/cartoon
E: The classic clip from episode 1 (See me...eating a peach...)
F: The flea-circus cartoon, with F-named fleas as characters
G: G--Grover/George
H: Broken TV sketch with Ernie and Bert
I: The song/cartoon with a lower-case I enjoying a drive with a man (I'm glad to be with the letter I, 'cause he's so ir-re-siiiiist-ible!)
J: J Friends song performed by anonymous Muppets (J-Joe, jeans and his jellybeans...)
K: King Kenny the Kind (in his first appearance, not his visit to the street)
L: Ernie and Bert's La-La-La song (Bert's word choices are unforgettably weird!)
M: Cartoon featuring a rude, greedy capital M invited to dinner (munching everything in sight, ending with the screen)
N: Nora the Nanny Goat cartoon
O: 2-way tie: (1) the stream-of-consciousness "O Song" (where the goat explodes all the O's...); (2) Would You Like to Buy an O? (Ernie and Lefty's song/sketch; "don't ask any questions, just buy the O and take it home tonight!")
P: Peter Piper's P Products (run by a very fast-talking owner, who eventually gets a phone call: "Peter Piper's P Products has been purchased...and the guy wants to change it to Sam Singer's S Stuff Store?")
Q: The Question Song (performed by a guitar-playing female Muppet, who expects Q-word answers to the questions...but Grover seems obsessed with cows!)
R: Cartoon: a woman's car is stalled until which she drops a lower-case r into the engine. (I remember the energetic rock music, and the stream of r's coming from the tailpipe as the woman drove off..."Rrr-rrr-rrrr...")
S: Sammy the Snake (his original song: "Sssso long!")
T: Kermit's "Boston T Party" News Flash
U: "U Train" vintage cartoon (words demonstrated: U-turn, unite, underground, universe)
V: "V-vine" cartoon/poem; a girl named Violet plants the letter, gets a vine full of V-words, and climbs it à la Jack and the Beanstalk
W: "Wanda the Witch" classic toon from Episode 1
X: Cowboy X cartoon ("Will you stop marking X's all over our town?"
Y: The Yellow Yahoo
Z: The ZZ Blues (great in-joke for adults, even down to the Muppet performer's appearances!)

ISNorden

Reaction score
Part 2 of my list: my top ten-or-more "complete alphabet" clips.

#1: ABCDEF...Cookie Monster! (Only Jim Henson could salvage an outtake and turn it into a priceless classic...)
#2: The Madrigal Alphabet (a.k.a. the Fairy Alphabet): a female chorus sings letters to an orchestral background, as cartoon animals and people morph into capital letters. (Most people don't notice, but the creatures start in the shape of the last letter before turning into the next.)
Tied for #3: Grover blabs his "alphabet secret"/Rube Goldberg-inspired alphabet cartoon.
Tied for #4: Alphabet Jungle song/cartoon; Alphabet Soup poem/cartoon
Tied for #5: Kermit's Bayou Alphabet/Kermit's African Alphabet.
#6: "Found" letters on city signs (the classic version, with extreme closeups and a jazzy background)
#7: Cartoon: The whole alphabet is chanted rhythmically to energetic keyboard music; then individual letters appear on an ever-changing background, accompanied by quieter music.
#8: Sign language letters morph into lower-case letters, as female voices sing the names in a bizarre style.
#9: Lower-case letters are named by a chorus of male speakers, transforming to an upbeat jazz background.
#10: "26 Ways" mixture of drawn animations, live film and CGI: each letter is formed in a different way (written with crayons, formed from sticks or pebbles, printed on a rotary press)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Now, by Top Ten Alphabet segments, are you asking to list any segment that involves either the entire alphabet or any letter, or just segments about the whole alphabet?

Not knowing for sure what you mean, I'll just guess and make my top ten list:

1. Kermit and girl saying the alphabet.
2. Bayou Alphabet
3. letters appearing in various street signs.
4. ABC Disco
5. kermit draws the letter M on-screen.
6. Wanda the Witch.
7. Mystery Letter.
8. La, La, La.
9. Harvey Kneeslapper tells the mailman that he has a letter for his mother... the letter R.
10. Mmmonster meal.

cartman

Reaction score
Animated letter series where Luis's voice off-screen announces a capital letter and a small letter

Animated series: kids' voices off-screen says words that begin with any letter

hi mike alan

rember me cartman

did luis did voice off announce Ee with the biggest elephant walking?

did the kids say "E ELEPHANT IN THE ANIMATED SERIES?

Skekayuk

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the Nestrapolitan Opera in this thread. I remember there is one episode (from the early 1990s) in which a Diva sings the alphabet. - Actually I've never been lucky enough to see this skit properly, I caught part of it by accident one time, and therein lies a tale.

This was around 1997, my mother had a radio connected to the VCR audio inputs, and occassional something would go funny with the settings and television would start coming out through the radio speakers.

Well one day I went to switch the radio on and I found myself hearing what sounded like an excerpt from some kind of drama. I had no idea what, except that one of the two characters sounded just like a character voice I had heard on the OLC album of the musical Nunsense. So I picked up the Radio Times, and looked at what was now for Radio 4 (and also Radio 2 and Radio 3) to see what drama was on, and which actress is was (I thought it must be Honor Blackman or Pip Hinton or Anna Sharkey). But I couldn't find anything listed that matched this drama. Suddenly I realised, that it must be the television coming through the radio. So I turned on the TV to see, and very quickly discovered that it was in fact this Sesame Street Nestrapolitan Opera skit! (and yes, the skit in question does happen to involve a lady who was in the OLC of Nunsense).