Top 5 Retired Muppets

peyjenk

Reaction score
I don't think another performer besides Louise for Annie Sue is asking too much at all. I think it makes sense... Annie Sue is a relatively unknown character that could be a great female presence for the characters. With Janice in the background, Yolanda, Camilla, and Miss Mousey virtually nonexistant anymore, and Spamela Hamderson being... well... Spamela Hamderson, the Muppets could really use a strong female lead. And it has been so long that there has actually been a Muppet girl who could be a rival for Miss P that I think the dynamic could really be fresh.

Skekayuk

Reaction score
While accepting the need for a strong female character, one who could rival Piggy, I don't think Annie Sue would be a good choice. Bring Spamela to the fore maybe. Or develope a new character to take on the role.

I think there are certain characters, and Annie Sue is very one of them, whose whole charaterisation is so much an extension of their original performer, that I think they should stay in the background, unless their original performer is available to do them. I don't mind them being present in non-speaking background roles but to bring them back as characters, well they just wouldn't be what they were and I think it would spoil them. Other characters in this cannon I think include: Floyd, and even Fozzie. I think it would have been better for Eric Jacobson to develop his own comedian character as a replacement for Fozzie. In a way although I didn't particularly take to Spamela, I did like the way they had tried to develop a new character to fill the role as Piggy's rival.

By all means examine characters who were very minor in the good old days, especially ones not specifically associated with any one performer, and see if they could be developed further. But I'd rather see The Muppets develop completely new characters than bring older ones out of retirement.
The only exception to this is Kermit, partly because he is such an icon, and largely because Steve Whitmire really does a good job with him. But other than that I think many of the older characters (and that includes Annie Sue) were of their time. Things have moved on since the days of The Muppet Show.

Da Dogster

Reaction score
My Top Five

Okahhh, I had some hard choices so this is three top fives
some of these may be before some of everybody's time, so here we go.

Sam and Friends
1. Yorick
2. Harry the Hipster
3. Professor Madcliffe
4. Wilkins
5. Wontkins

Sesame Street_
1. Beautiful Day Monster
2. Chicago the Lion
3. Farley
4. Professor Hastings (cause he's so boring, it's funny)
5. Roosevelt Franklin

The Muppet Show
1. Geroge The Janitor
2. Annie Sue
3. Rowlf The Dog (even though he was used in recent
movies, he was rarely used like he was in the original 3 movies.)
4. Beauregard
5. The Clodhoppers (cause they dance like me "Watch It!" )

:search: "egad I seem to forget someone......"

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
1. Hilda the Waldrobe lady
2. Wayne and Wanda
3. Sweetums and Robin (too cute for words)
4. Nigel
5. Annie Sue Pig (Piggy could do with the competition)

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
My list of retired Muppets

Here's a list of my Top 5 retired Muppets.

5. Scooter
4. Be-Bop
3. Lenny the Lizard
2. Louis Kazagger
1. The Gills Brothers

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
1. Scooter

2. Nigel

3. Hilda

4. Beuregarde

5. Ethel Mermaid

peyjenk

Reaction score
Haha, as a little kid, before I knew who Merman was, I thought that maybe Ethel Mermaid was a joke on Ethel Mertz from I Love Lucy! :smile:

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
Ok, here's my list (In any random order, including character bunches).....

- The Electric Mayhem- Gotta love 'em. I know that Jerry's been sick lately, so Floyd may be out, but I have to say, "Can You Picture That?" is the only song that can get me out of any bad mood. They need a good gig. :sing:

-Ernie and Bert- Since Jim's passing and Frank's leaving, I've felt (No pun intended) that we've been in short supply of new E&B clips. Especially recently. Don't get me wrong, I love classic bits appearing in the shows but I think it's time to get my old pals back together. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

-The Frackles- As my favorite group of Muppets, I feel that they should at least be recycled into new random characters like they used to be. An occational appearence wouldn't kill anyone.

-Wayne and Wanda- Lol, they're just so funny. I can't resist a slight chuckle whenever I see the duo's performance get wrecked onstage.

-Mildred- Just something about her makes her one of my retired fav's.... not sure what though, lol.