Top 5 Sesame Street one-liners

ISNorden

Reaction score
What one-line quotes from Sesame Street do you consider most memorable? Here are my top five picks (all from clips/episodes I've actually seen, so my list probably differs from yours):

5. "A nickel?...SHHH....Riiight!"
4. "You ate the sandbox? How did it taste, Bert? *teeheehee*"
3. "I know WHO a square is!"
2. "I'm sure gonna miss you, Mr. Looper..."
1. "Cookie Monster isn't a letter of the alphabet!"

Ziffel

Reaction score
My signature before had Bert's line, "Well how many do you expect him to drop, four shoes? Eh eh eh eh eh!" (responding to Ernie saying every night the guy upstairs drops two shoes).

"I can't hear you, there's a banana in my ear!" I would say is one of the most memorable for many folks.

Ernie's "I lost my air!" was classic for me!

And how about Prince Charming: "Leave it with the frog!" and "I've lost my horsey!"

Well there's five. We could list so many more, of course. Those were just kind of randomly ones that came to mind at first.

One more:

"We all know the shape of Bert's head, don't we? Kee hee hee hee hee!"

Katzi428

Reaction score
Hi-ho,Kermit the Frog here!
It is I;Su-per Grover!
Oh welcome,oh welcome to our little play (Prairie Dawn)
SCRAM! (kind of obvious who that one is!)
Cooookkkiiieess! (another no brainer)

ISNorden

Reaction score
Hi-ho,Kermit the Frog here!
It is I;Su-per Grover!
Oh welcome,oh welcome to our little play (Prairie Dawn)
SCRAM! (kind of obvious who that one is!)
Cooookkkiiieess! (another no brainer)

Not half bad...I bet most of those are at least in the average fan's top ten lines, if not the top five.

ISNorden

Reaction score
My signature before had Bert's line, "Well how many do you expect him to drop, four shoes? Eh eh eh eh eh!" (responding to Ernie saying every night the guy upstairs drops two shoes).

"I can't hear you, there's a banana in my ear!" I would say is one of the most memorable for many folks.

Ernie's "I lost my air!" was classic for me!

And how about Prince Charming: "Leave it with the frog!" and "I've lost my horsey!"

Well there's five. We could list so many more, of course. Those were just kind of randomly ones that came to mind at first.

One more:

"We all know the shape of Bert's head, don't we? Kee hee hee hee hee!"
The "banana in my ear" line even inspired an Electric Company cartoon later, if I remember correctly; it must've become one of CTW's running gags by then. :smile: As for the "four shoes" remark--the writers must've loved putting sarcastic jokes in Bert's mouth when he was annoyed, because some of them were priceless. (Another of Bert's replies that comes to mind, after Ernie talks about animal sounds on a camping trip: "Most of the birds are asleep...I wish I was a bird!")

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's a list of whatever I could remember at the top of my head....

Business Exec-"Hey! They can't read. So let's call the show 'Hey Stupid!'" (pilot, so it counts)

Bert-[/B}"Hey there Lamp! That's a nice shade!...now you..."

Cookie Monster- Cookie's award winning cookie Poem- "Cookie, Cookie, Schnookie!"

Captain Vegetable-"Do I look like a Weirdo?"

Oscar the Grouch- "You are... without a doubt.. the stupidest *&*^(Loud train noise obscure's Oscar's speach)*&^ Dumbest bird I've ever met!

ISNorden

Reaction score
*LOL* Bert and the businessman Muppet had some priceless lines, all right. I don't recognize the sketches that the other three came from, though: could you fill me in, please?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oscar's line was a reaction to Big Bird's belief in Santa Claus in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. They were at the train station coming home from ice skating, I believe.

Cookie Monster's was fairly recent. A few seasons back, he entered that poem in a contest to win the obvious. It was a street segment in which he was allergic to Cookies or caught the Cookie Flu or something like that.

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
:batty: : Ahh, ha, ha! (*Thunderbolts crash in background*)

:grouchy: : How do you think the Easter Bunny can hide all those eggs in one night?

(Insert Mr. Hooper Picture Here) : Hooper, Big Bird! It's Hooper!

:wisdom: : Burr! It's cold... I don't see how those penguins can take it!

(As stated by Drtooth) : Hey... These kids can't read or write can they? Then how's-a-bout we call the show: 'Hey stupid!'

PinballStewie

Reaction score
"'Allo gov'! 'Ey, are you the bloke what wants to talk about the Famous London Frog? Well 'ere I am in the froggy flesh! London Frog at your service!"

"I go' a brotha' what looks like you! Ol' blighter. Well, I'm off."

"Here you are, SIR! I believe this is what you are talking about...SIR! The Famous...London...Log! Might I say, it is the finest log in all of London...SIR! It belongs to the Queen herself, SIR! She said it's okay if you want to talk about it, SIR!" (guess this is more than a one-liner, but great anyway)

"Clog does rhyme with fog, you know...they sound the SAME!"

"Hahahaha! I never make mistakes."

"Hi! I'm Kermit the Gorf! My T-shirt ready?"

"Aaaaaaay...klahoma where the wind falls softly on the plain!"

"I told you! I'm Kermit the Frog and I want my Kermit the FR-O-O-O-O-G-G-G T-shirt!"

"I'm not emotional!" (in response to the salesman saying "There's no reason to get emotional.")

"Please!" (Prince Charming, twice, in response to Kermit the Frog)

"I've lost my horsey! (sobs) OH SHUT UP! I've lost my horsey!"

So many great one-liners...but Kermit the Frog (and those he got frustrated by in the process) seemed to have some of the best!