Transformers Armada

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker

While I liked Eek the Cat, I have to say it is my opinion after two decades of Saturday Morning cartoon viewing, that
Ripping Friends is without question the absolute most abhorrently horrific worst cartoon in the history of cartoons. And Im including Ukrainian micro budget Tom and Jerry ripoffs.
Dude! Why does everyone hate what I like? In all honesty I thought Ripping Friends was a welcome change from all those stupid Power Ranger/ Moncoli Nights and Eveloution the series shows that have plagues the netwrok, causing it's demise.

John Kricfalusi (SP) is my favorite cartoonist. He has gotten NO respect whatsoever on saturday mornings. The New Beany and Cecil show flopped after 5 episodes, The Mighy Mouse cocaine fiasco, his cartoon Ren and Stimpy being ripped out of his hands and being turned into unwatchable dreck, and now this. I feel SOOOOO sorry for the guy! Apparently his cartooning views are not fitting with the suits and ties of toy companies, and the puritanic nincompoop censorists that run Saturday morning TV!

But if my views are not concieved through these methods, I admit that we at least have a common interrest on this entire board...the Muppets!

grail

Reaction score
no worries...i didn't get much of a chance to see it, but i kinda dug Ripping Friends too...cartoon network is advertising "Ripping Friends: Uncut" which i'm interested in seeing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Though I will admit that Ripping Friends wasn't quite as good as classic Ren and Stimpy. Firstly it used a differnet production company to animate it, secondly, it was different subject matter, and thirdly the writing wasn't as funny. But I still think it was the only watchable cartoon that season.

Personally I think the really horrid crappy lame shows came from DIC, just after they finnished Super Mario World. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was just laughable. I have a bunch of tapes I bought for a buck eAch, and the only funny things were when the Animation (if that's what you call it) would screw up. I can't even list them, there were so many. The absolute worst was when in one scen, Sonic is talking, but the words come out of Grounder's mouth. A common slip up, but they showed a different scene earlier in the episode when they did that!!

I also REALLY REALLY REALLY dispised the two recent pieces of garbage Sabrina the Series, and the Adventures of the Olsen Twins. The shows were just so increadably awful, it made Pokemon look like a bunch of clAssic Pink Panther cartoons in comparison. I don't care if they're kids shows, they were just patronizing and should have never been written. There should never have even been a pilot!!!!!!

To think, they replace Tailspin with that trash! The only reason why anyone even watches Toon Disney is for Nostalgic reruns.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>John Kricfalusi (SP) is my favorite cartoonist. He has gotten NO respect whatsoever on saturday mornings. The New Beany and Cecil show flopped after 5 episodes, The Mighy Mouse cocaine fiasco, his cartoon Ren and Stimpy being ripped out of his hands and being turned into unwatchable dreck, and now this. I feel SOOOOO sorry for the guy!<<<

So he's the guy responsible for al those unwatchably horrid cartoons over the years. I knew that style of Mighty Mouse was in Ripping Friends. Im all for unique, different styles...but man,
Ripping Friends must require crack and a straight jacket, as not for awhile have I seen something so abhorrent. I mean South PArk's animation is bad, but they do manage to strike this edgy topical chord once in awhile.

>>>I also REALLY REALLY REALLY dispised the two recent pieces of garbage Sabrina the Series, and the Adventures of the Olsen Twins. The shows were just so increadably awful, it made Pokemon look like a bunch of clAssic Pink Panther cartoons in comparison<<<

Ack, ya actually watched those shows? I did watch a few minutes of Kim Possible, which I guess is a girls show. Cant get over how lame a lot of American animation is, and sadly now the Japanese import anime on fox box.

>>>Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was just laughable. <<<

Too bad they never showed the Japanese Sonic Hedgehog anime on US tv...definately above most kids cartoons on tv.

>>>To think, they replace Tailspin with that trash! The only reason why anyone even watches Toon Disney is for Nostalgic reruns.<<<

Ya just cant beat the glory of the late eighties!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I watched an episode of Sabrina once (there was nothing else on) and I was shuddering, huddled on the floor saying "please let them all die! Please let them all die!!" It was so poorly written, and I guess every episode is like this.. she screws up a magic spell, she gets in trouble, they all shout some horrid pun and laugh. UGH!!!

I saw two seconds of the Mary Kate and @%@%^ley olsen show and I was barfing so much I was actually crying!!

But basically I have a weird sense of Humor. At one end, I have all this sophisticated humor, like Bullwinkle (Now what other show has Ruby Yacht of Omar Kayam type humor), and Stupid Humor. John K, is the best stupid humor in the business, in my opinion. It's those weird, obscure 90's cartoons that copy Ren and Stimpy I hate!

But I really have it bad against "Toy toons" of the 70's- 2000! That's why I like John K. Even if you can't stand his shows, he isn't in it for profit and all that stuff. Creators rarely even get money for that stuff!

With those toy shows, they basically come up with some way to not only have free advewrtising, but find a way to get money for it. I once read that a 1969 show about Hot Wheels was pulled off the air by the FCC because it was nothing more than a half an hour commercial (times sure have changed)!

Basically their shows look like they were animated in the same Taiwanese Sweat shop the toys are made in.

Though I haveta admit....Transformers is by far the best toy show ever made!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>But basically I have a weird sense of Humor. At one end, I have all this sophisticated humor, like Bullwinkle <<<

Thats why its so startling ya havent seen Invader Zim yet...
the best offbeat humour ive ever seen ina cartoon, plus th ebest american animation on tv ever IMHO.

Basically their shows look like they were animated in the same Taiwanese Sweat shop the toys are made in.<<<

Eek, dont say that too loud, err least not in the action figure forum:wink:

Though I haveta admit....Transformers is by far the best toy show ever made!<<<

I dont see TF as a "half hour toy commercial" if youre in your twenties ya know that is one of the best cartoon series ever.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sorry about my views of Transformers, and Ripping Friends. I mean, no two people can be on the same page all the time.

Basically, John K. was one of my Many inspirations that got me into cartooning. I'd give you the entire list, but it would be REALLLY LONG!!

Let's just say that among others, Jim Henson, Charels Shulz, and Matt Groening are involved. By my stuff is much different from theirs!

But basically what ticks me off about transformers and such, is that every netwok is just out their for the money! Transformers became popular, then there were like fifty Transwanna bees hogging up television. No one wants anything new (reguardless of quality or not), when they can have the same idea rehashed to them over and over.

The reason why I don't like these shows is because they won't let anybody with new ideas in. There are millions of people with great ideas for shows silenced by Fighty Foodmen and junk like that, so you can see what I mean!

GWGumby

Reaction score
Just for fun, does anyone remember the very short-lived Saturday morning MC Hammer cartoon? Of all my years of cartoon watching (which have been very many) this one gets my vote for absolutely worst cartoon ever. Bad idea, poorly written, and the worst animation ever. It seemed like it was animated at the very most *half* the frames of any other cartoon I've ever seen.

I can't understand why Fox would give John K. a cartoon show (Ripping Friends) after the whole Ren & Stimpy fiasco and then pull the plug on it. Could anyone who approved the project expect anything other than what they got? I'd been waiting over 10 years for that cartoon and while admittedly it wasn't as great as Ren & Stimpy or dozens of other cartoons, it was still pure John K. through and through. I think Spumco should stick to animating music videos and release their own straight-to-dvd features and avoid networks altogether.

I do miss a bit of the early 90's animation rennaissance (Gummy Bears, Animaniacs) but I *love* the current Cartoon Network revolution. Adult Swim is the greatest thing to happen in animation in decades. Sure the actual animation in all those shows are terrible--stylistically or not, but the pure freedom to be stupid and weird and to have fun without pressures of tie-in toy marketing and such is wonderful.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thanks Gumby! I have to admit, both Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Hammer man were dreadful! And it also marked the end of both of their careers (Sonic actually fell after that, during the Sega Saturn days, but this lead him to distruction). I did like Super Dave, though! I enjoy his stunts, and it was supposed to be stupid. The live action segments, were the best!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I do miss a bit of the early 90's animation rennaissance (Gummy Bears, Animaniacs) but I *love* the current Cartoon Network revolution. Adult Swim is the greatest thing to happen in animation in decades. Sure the actual animation in all those shows are terrible--stylistically or not, but the pure freedom to be stupid and weird and to have fun without pressures of tie-in toy marketing and such is wonderful<<<

Well, Gummy Bears is straight up late 80's(87-ish), as I really loved the 87-89 Disney saturday morning lineup(Gummy Bears, Wuzzles, Ducktales) And then there was the FR cartoon I liked(well, when ya dont have hbo...), Ed Grimley(the martin short snl cartoon), ALF(one of my top 3 cartoons ever!), etc. Does Comedy Central still play the great Critic and The Tick? Loved those ones.

I wish I had Cartoon Network, as theres some neat stuff late at nights. Like Cowboy Bebop(ok, Im no stranger to that show on dvd at least, just cool they show non kiddy well animated anime on cable)

To clairfy, the reason Mighty Mouse horrified me as does any on John K's animation/humour...is because it goes out of its way to be bodily functioningly horrific. Yeah, the American Sonic cartoon was bad...but if you added things being rotten, orifices, landfills, garbage, etc and a keen sense of a bad drug trip(mnever done drugs, but it seems like itd be like that) theres a John K cartoon for ya. However...it does have its own style.

But bad animation alone isnt a criteria for me not liking something. I love early Mike Judge cartoons(liquid television era) I LOVE Bill Plympton cartoons/movies. Same with early Simpsons shorts/episodes.

Ive gotten so bored since the early 90's of badly animated super hero cartoons, be it the various Image comics cartoons...or
the beyond horrifying animation of the Avengers(that animation looked like it was from 1987) Its neat though, there have been some recent decent ones. The style of Men In Black is perhaps some of the most stylish American animation for kids stuff Ive seen. Batman Beyond is cool(especially the opening), and
I really liked the anime opening to Savage Dragon(hate it when the intro is different animation than the actual animation)