1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

TV Alert: Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas on ABC Family December 12 and 13

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by Phillip, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

"Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas" returns to TV this year on ABC Family. This show airs on Saturday December 12 at 12:15 pm eastern and will re-air at 11:05 am eastern on Sunday December 13.

It has been many years since Emmet Otter has been on TV so we applaud ABC Family and Henson for getting this classic back on the air. Since this is airing on a Disney owned network, we'll see if the Kermit segments return for this broadcast.

ABC Family is also airing "The Bells of Fraggle Rock" holiday episode. Find out more info and discuss here.

[​IMG]

If saw this special broadcast, please like this post and share your thoughts below.

minipicc95 and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  2. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Emmet Otter started on ABC Family and already I'm impressed. Not only was :)'s introductory opening kept, but what really surprised me is that they had the full version of The One Bathing Suit as well. Maybe this presentation will also have Mrs. Mink's solo number Born In A Trunk.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  3. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I'm so glad this isn't the 2005 edit without Kermit.

MikaelaMuppet and minipicc95 like this.
  4. The Count

Unfortunately, they did edit out when Emmet and Alice bring out Pa Otter's slide onto the frozen river as well as Ain't No Hole In The Washtub so there are still issues with this airing.

5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMAHGOSH IT'S KEERRMIITT !!!!!!!

6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they left Kermit in.

Anyway, cropping the special into widescreen admittedly gives it more of a film look than a videotape look, which is an improvement, but of course, cropping in general removes part of the picture, which is one of the reasons I dislike widescreen so much.

7. The Count

Another edit that was made was the removal of the Riverbottom Gang mentioning why they went into Mrs. Mink's shop in the first place, to get some new drums for Howard Snake.

And Kermit's ending narration was also kept. This made me happy today. Now if we could get a DVD of the full unedited version with this airing's full version of The One Bathing Suit and Born In A Trunk, that'd be the perfect version for me. :)

8. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I swear I did a double take when the verse that was missing from previous edits made it to air. I couldn't believe they kept that. I didn't even know they videotaped that verse! I noticed there were new lines we never saw or heard before today, like Emmet's line as he and Ma were walking through town before the music shop, "Might as well head for the river then". And Harrison Fox's outro for a new act featuring moles for a duet.

I was a little sad that "Ain't No Hole in the Washtub" was left out entirely, but at least we saw Kermit when he was onscreen.

MikaelaMuppet and The Count like this.
  9. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Maybe they could. Disney let Henson use the Rowlf scenes on the Dog City DVD. Anything could happen.

Duke Remington and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  10. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

That number was never actually shot. Only the audio was recorded.

11. superboober

superboober Member

All in all this was definitely a step in the right direction for the special. I came in acknowledging that things would be cut for air, as is regrettably a truism for any classic holiday special in today's TV market (unless we can coerce Congress into passing some kind of bill protecting them), and would agree that taking out Ain't No Hole in the Washtub, let alone any of the special's songs, would be a mistake. But that's more than counterbalanced by what we did get: Kermit back where he belongs (now if they could just bring back his narration in the future, even better), the long awaited return of both "I'd really appreciate it if you'd fall off the dock." and "Better fill, Harrison, we're off to a shaky start," and seemingly new footage hinting that any Ultimate Edition of the special might be even more ultimate then even we'd imagined to this point. Plus the end credits run without crunching and with the original Henson Associates credit left intact (although Henson Associates as it was then no longer exists, I never could fully understand plastering over an in-credit reference; a full logo, certainly, but not a line of text). Above all, this gives we the faithful back the hope that some day in the future, distant or not, it's still possible for us to get the full and complete special back for good. So let's continue hoping....

12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

True, but they were sped-up.

vettech28 and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  13. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

According to Muppet Wiki, "When the River Meets the Sea" was included after being cut in its first broadcast of this year. I guess if it's shown on ABC Family again it could be cut or not. Seems like a number of programs on ABC Family over the years have had scenes cut in some broadcasts that weren't cut in others.

I missed this and The Bells of Fraggle Rock, but read on Muppet Wiki that they were shown at a 30-frame rate instead of the original 60-frame rate. What does this mean? Does this mean it was time compressed, or where several frames cut?

14. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

It just means that the film moves slightly faster than normal. I noticed that the music and the songs in both Fraggle Rock and Emmet Otter seemed faster, most likely this was why.