1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

TV Alert: "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" on CW Monday December 2

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Monday night watch the Muppets Christmas special "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" on the CW at 8 pm eastern, 7 pm central. The Muppets will present their own take on the classic "It's a Wonderful Life" in this TV movie.

Let us know how the 2002 special has aged more than ten years later. Read our reviews from the first broadcast in 2002. "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" Widescreen DVD is also available.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you saw this made-for-tv movie, please like this message and share your thoughts below.

ElizaSchuyler and Bethalulu like this.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It's a movie, not a special.

And I still stand by my opinion that it's the worst Muppet movie ever made. It's like an emo teen crawled out of his depressive funk, decided to try his hand at writing Muppet fanfiction, then passed it off as a screenplay and it got made into a movie.

Yeah, the Muppets always included some sly and somewhat edgy humor so adults could be entertained as well, but the adult humor in this movie was done in very poor taste, which is probably the fault of THE SIMPSONS writers they brought on board, for whatever reason.

3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I'm watching this right now, and they cut out the entire Crocodile Hunter scene. So those seeing this for the first time suddenly saw Fozzie looking like the Grinch without knowing why.

4. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

That's when I turned it off, I hate edits like that!

5. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I was watching some of it while on line for food at the student center. Whoever cut it the way it was needs to be fired. Just the way it went to commercials was bad.

6. minor muppetz

Not surprisingly, they also cut the scene with the NBC logo on Kermit's foot. Actually, they kept the dialogue in, but I think they dubbed it over a different shot of Kermit talking. I can't remember if the NBC music played in this scene or not, but if it did then that was cut.

7. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I do like this movie...I know a lot of people don't..that being said not a fan of the edit on tv...but I had to tune in for Gonzo and Kermit singing.

Mind you there are some a parts I would change

8. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

They also edited the fact NBC productions help make the movie. All it says is that it's from Jim Henson Productions

9. minor muppetz

I didn't watch all of this broadcast, and there were times I wasn't paying attention, but is it just me or were the Scrubs and Fear Factor scenes cut?

Though if those were, it was kind of a strength. I always thought it was weird that the Muppets determined that Miss Piggy was a big-enough star to be the shows guest (and she's a Muppet), yet she was reduced to being an extra on a TV show??? And the Fear Factor scene, Danny says that most of television is now reality programming due to Kermit not being born.... Back when this movie was made Kermit wasn't on TV much (and existing Kermit material hadn't been shown on Sesame Street for a year), and the Muppets haven't really had regular weekly television exposure since then (except for in France, and any non-US country that aired TMS reruns), so the lack of Kermit being born really wouldn't be effective. And since this movie was made reality has dominated television in a much bigger way (so that makes this special a bit more timeless).

I would have edited the parts with Sam and Scooter at Club Dot.

10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

While I don't think it's the worst, or one of the worst Muppet films there are (we all know what I think it is by now),but I do agree it did age poorly. The humor is much more like Simpsons, Early Family Guy style and there's too many pop culture references. And the style of humor that uses pop culture references are more dated than the references they use. This telefilm aired well before Will and Grace and the Seltzer/Frieberg movies destroyed pop culture humor forever (more so the latter than the former, but W&G did it's fair share of ruining mentioning stuff). The Muppets was essentially the same idea, but far superior and less derivative. Like an accidental spiritual remake. Then again, there is a lot of good in this movie, if you look for it.

After Kermit's lobotomized, barely present performance in MFS, he comes back with a passion, freaking out at Piggy and the others when the show goes to pot. Something that hasn't been seen since Steve took over the character... but to be fair, Tom Cratchett was never even mildly aggressive in any retelling, and MT's show duties fell on Clifford (though Kermit had some moments). We got a nice angle on the Kermit/Piggy relationship (she's a trainwreck without Kermit in the alternate universe), and we had the grand return of The Muppet Theater. Not to mention when this special came out, the Muppet possibilities were limitless. The toyline was up and running, there was more merchandise than you can shake a stick at (we could afford to be choosy too), and the potential for another project was high (unfortunately, nothing came out of it until movie I dare not speak the name of).

It's just not a Muppet Holiday Special if it doesn't have 5 minutes of commercial for every 2 minutes of show. :ouch: LTS can tell you that.

JonnyBMuppetMan likes this.
  11. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I didn't watch the televised version because I remember last year how many cuts they made. It probably wouldn't be any different this year because of airing on a different network and having to cut out NBC references and other things they might think would violate copyright laws. I'd much rather stick with the DVD and watch it in its entirety.

dwayne1115 likes this.
  12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I doubt really it's copyright laws or anything, it could very well be a case of network rivalry.

13. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

And perhaps making more time for commercials.

14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It would be a pretty idiotic move to not erase references to a rival network, especially one like NBC/Universal that has to promote everything they can everywhere they can. Chances are, if you see something done by NBC or Universal, they'll wind up promoting themselves somewhere. Any Universal movie, they have to go on the Today Show (Land of the Lost -ew- and Get him to the Greek). Any NBC show has to cross promote another NBC show or a movie. Apparently, the Minions were on Biggest Loser, and that's not even the most tasteless thing about the show. To set the record straight, I freakin' love those things, but their cartoon presence on an oh so "inspirational" show (read "completely and utterly sensationalized) makes it even more of a garish eye sore that backhandedly makes fun of fat people.

Speaking of Minions, there is an aside I'd like to mention. When ABC (curiously) got the rights to air Despicable Me, they edited out the NBC logo on the Time Square Jumbotron (one of Gru's conquests).. and frankly, that made the movie better.

15. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Well, you kind of make a good point. But some of the best parts were the NBC references. Maybe it would have been better to air that one exclusively on NBC, so this wouldn't be a problem.

16. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

The first time I watched It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (2002) was 12/2/13 which is this airing on The CW which I hardly ever watch. Some scenes made little sense until I actually went and got the 2010 DVD. Most of all the fact that after Rizzo, Rowlf, Scooter, Animal, Robin, and Janice persuade Kermit to go get Miss Piggy that they left out a whole hilarious "Scrubs" scene that's semi-crucial to the plot. So a little later in the film where Piggy comes out of a dressing room and remarks something about "pastel M&Ms" I was a little confused. Another big mishap is when Fozzie goes to give the money to Bitterman and is green. To someone who's never seen the film before and watches it on The CW and it's lost probably 5 minutes from its original airing I knew nothing about the whole crocodile scene and the part where he turns green until I watched the DVD. Also one small remark I got a kick out of was when Kermit said NBC was out of control and he has the logo on his foot was chopped. Overal The CW executed the cut-out scenes amaturely or about as well as Gonzo ate the tire in the Juliet Prowse episode of TMS. In the end even with some scenes cut out I throughly enjoyed the film on The CW. Now here's what I think of the actual film... one of the top 5 best muppet film ever! One thing this film has an advantage on is character proportions with the muppets. Kermit is the lead which was a bold move. Gonzo, though he's awesome, is in a supporting role which is a role that fits him better compared to being "The Big Cheese" in MFS. Miss Piggy has semi-prominence as well, much better than her lackluster, but still fine small role in MFS. The biggest improvment in character proportions (and personalities in this case) is Fozzie Bear. From 1992 through 2002 before this film Fozzie was DUMB! He wasn't really as innocent as he was dumb. In MCT he was dumb, and the same goes for him in MTI and MFS. Also he only had a beefy cameo in MCC, a small supporting role in MTI, and a small supporting role again in MFS, not to mention he was only in 6/22 of the episodes of Muppets Tonight. But this film saw him in a whole new light. Not only was he not dim-witted, but he had a main role, a role he hadn't had since 1987. Also Rizzo works better in a small supporting role than a main one, Robin does extremely well in semi-prominence, Bunsen and Beaker have beefy supporting roles, the list goes on. The best thing about the CT of the film is the revival of Richard Hunt's classic characters; Scooter and Janice. Both characters who either made cameos or weren't in the muppet productions at all throughout the 90's had great roles. Scooter had a real supporting role and Janice had 3 whole lines! Also to a lesser extent Rowlf got 2 full lines in tbe film, a step up from "an audiable OOGH in MFS which I never heard. Johnny and Sal were hilarious in supporting roles, and Lew Zeland had like 4 lines. The only problem with CT was that Zoot and Dr. Teeth didn't have lines, and also I wish they didn't delete Bobo's scene though he did have 3 lines. One thing I liked about this film were Jerry Nelson's characters which were all (besides Lew) performed by Nelson for one of the final times. No not Ghost of Christmas Present, Mad Monty, or Ubergonzo, no! Real Nelson characters from TMS. Robin has a good beefy supporting role, Statler has some spotlight time, Pops has a quick scene, WITH DIALOUGE!, and Floyd at least got to laugh better than some of his other roles *MCC*. Overal this movie is fantastic with great songs, good CT, awesome rendition of IAWL, and I really liked the alternate reality scene. I jsut can't figure out why this received negative criticism (besides too many god scenes), because personally I like this better than MCC, mostly because IAVMMCM has better CT and more muppets.
    IT'S A VERY MERRY MUPPET CHRISTMAS MOVIE (2002) (FINAL RATING): :sympathy::sympathy::sympathy::sympathy:.3/:sympathy::sympathy::sympathy::sympathy::sympathy: