TV Alert: Muppets Extreme Makeover Home Edition reairs April 25

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Muppets return to prime time on ABC's “Extreme Makeover Home Edition” Sunday April 25 at 8 pm eastern, 7 pm central. This fantastic episode originally aired in January.

If you have seen the episode before, post your thoughts on the second viewing. Likewise, if this is the first time you've seen the episode, we'd love to hear your thoughts as well.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Since I got a DVR, I'm recording the rerun of it now. And it's just as good as it originally aired. But, I have to ask what's the appeal of Extreme Makeover? It's basically this show where these guys make a new home for people who have gone through depressing things. Like when Kermit was filling in for Ty Pennington, they were making this house for a girl who had a brain disorder. That episode was really hard for me to sit through. VeggieTales even made fun of it by doing a parody of it called, Extreme Redo: Crying Edition. So what do you guys think the appeal of it is?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
People are suckers for hard-luck cases. The REAL sad thing is, after the obligatory sob story, you get the heartwarming tale of them losing the house Ty just remodeled because they can't afford the taxes or the mortgage. *applauds* Thanks, Ty!

Mupp

Reaction score
People are suckers for hard-luck cases. The REAL sad thing is, after the obligatory sob story, you get the heartwarming tale of them losing the house Ty just remodeled because they can't afford the taxes or the mortgage. *applauds* Thanks, Ty!
I've heard similar stories, but surely that has not happened to ALL of the clients.

Generally speaking, its a nice show, but I do find it interesting that when they design a room for a young child, it is of course very kid-like, especially the design of the beds and walls....But then what happens when they grow up and lose their kiddy interests?

Oh well, I guess its the thought that counts. :wink:

dwmckim

Reaction score
I think much of its appeal and success is because it touches something very primal and instinctive to Americans. A house is the most expensive thing anyone will ever own - people spend 30 years paying them off. Plus symbolically a house represents shelter which represents stability. And of course a house means "home". Tales of a house in peril being saved is something that touches a lot of people.

Plus it really does represent the best in reality television. Too many shows are about exploiting people or feasting on watching the uglier sides of human nature like cheering on gladiators in a colosseum. Here is a show about helping people and providing assistence that government or charity hasn't been able to grant. "After the closing credits" stories aside, we really would not be that bad off if we had so much more "Extreme Makeover: Home Editions" out there. I'm really glad The Muppets have been a part of it three times now.