1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

TV Alert: Muppets on The Bachelorette May 21

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, May 20, 2012.

1. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

i agree totally with that. frank's piggy was a force of nature, that's for sure. esp in her later appearances, after jim died. before that she was softer, i think jim as kermit balanced her out

but i will say that her total abrasiveness was usually hilarious and the interviewers were often cracking up and could never keep up with her. that's why they loved having her on. eric's is definitely more civil, but less outrageous. i like them both, but frank's piggy was so unique in his way- it's kind of impossible to replicate it
    Pinkflower7783 and Borples like this.
  2. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

i also think that frank's piggy would have totally ripped those guys to shreds in that piggy talk show segment- that was a bit of a missed opportunity if you ask me
    Pinkflower7783 and Borples like this.
  3. Borples

Borples Active Member

Agreed, on all counts! I definitely wasn't trying to say that Frank's Piggy wasn't awesome, because boy, was she ever. And it was always fun watching stodgy old news anchor types totally crack up at her. :)
  4. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I don't think Disney has THAT much say in what the puppeteers can do or say. I just remember the words Steve said in an interview one time with Eric that it's always important for Kermit to stay true to who he is but at the same time to not let his character get stale. You have to always be thinking of ways of how to develop these characters. So I think this is is what Steve meant in some ways. I mean obviously it ties back to the movie but I mean Steve could've easily went back to having Kermit say it was just a movie and their relationship was just for the movie. But he didn't. I think he thought it was time that they be a proper couple after all this time.

I think it's so fascinating to see how far Steve has come with Kermit. He's done such a bang up job. I mean Jim will always, always be Kermit to me and in my heart but Steve has definitely found his own Kermit and I think that's great.

Anyways...back on topic I see there was a picture of the guys with the snowths...so it makes me wonder did they perform Manha Mahna?
  5. Pinkflower7783

I was sort of hoping we would've gotten more a reaction when she catches Kermit zipping up Emily's dress but instead she just stomps off mad. Which to me made her look a little immature but she was still fabulous noneoftheless. And I love the clothes she wore.
  6. Pinkflower7783

I should also point out if incase anyone didn't notice this but where Kermit says "maybe we should bring the guys on stage" when it cuts to the guys you can see the Miss Piggy "puppet" (yes I'm sorry I broke the Muppet law) on the floor on the right side of your screen. Lol!
  7. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

I think you may have missed my point. I'm just saying that those sides of her don't get seen much today. Because those were all some of many aspects of a multi-layered three-dimensional personality. In some of her recent appearances, it just seems as if many of those layers have been taken away a lot, making her seem one-dimensional.

That's the thing that kinda turns me off about some of Piggy's more recent appearances. There used to be more subtlety in her writing in the old days as well, something that there needs to be more of.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  8. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

Frank's Piggy reacted like that often times too. For instance: retreating to her dressing room, slamming the door and smashing everything in sight.

Also, to borrow a quote from a ToughPigs article:

Latter-day Muppet writers have had a hard time pinning her down, because it’s so tempting to just make her go around yelling and hitting people.
  9. Pinkflower7783

I wasn't really comparing it to Frank's Piggy when I said that I was just saying in general...I don't really care when she just stomps off mad. But it's Piggy and I still love her no matter what. To me that's what makes her character so great. Just when you think you know what she's gonna do she'll do the opposite. Thats just my personal opinion though.
  10. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

i loved itt
  11. BobbyBenson

BobbyBenson New Member

very good.:fanatic:
  12. Pinkflower7783

So the part where Kermit says him and Piggy have been together for a long time and wishes that kind of love for Emily...is he saying he wishes for a verbal/physical abuse kind of relationship? LOL! Because that seems to be what Kermit and Piggy's is based on. LOL! I'm only kidding but I couldn't help but think that when he said it. XD
    DannyRWW likes this.
  13. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

Mrs. Otter and I caught the Muppet portion of The Bachelorette when it aired Monday and we were both thrilled and relieved that (a) it was over in the first hour so we didn't have to waste our time with the rest of that nonsense, and (b) it didn't put the characters in the position to be misused or misrepresented.

Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie and Statler were, quite simply, THEMSELVES - their reactions were genuine and heartfelt and stayed true to the Muppet personalities we've known and loved for years without cheapening their images. Sure, Kermit zipped up Emily's dress and Piggy stomped off in a huff, but that joke would have worked just as well in 1972 or 1982 (let's not forget how much Kermit has flirted with many of the TMS guest stars - this was downright tame compared to that!).

And the context of their appearance - helping the guys loosen up and put on a variety show as a charity fundraiser - allowed them to seamlessly fit into all the action. It wasn't "The Muppets Visit Jerry Springer," it was actually quite charming and occasionally downright adorable. ("Rainbow Connection" for the win!!!)

(FOOTNOTE: One of the contestants, Aaron, is now living in California but was actually born and raised in Leitches' Creek, a rural Nova Scotia community only 90 minutes away from my hometown...that doesn't mean we're going to watch the rest of the series or root for the guy, but it's just kind of freaky...)
  14. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

You that sounds an awful lot like the relationships spawned by the last several seasons of that show
  15. Pinkflower7783

Oh and just be in a relationship for 35 years and never get married. LOL!
  16. DannyRWW

Okay so maybe they just have the physical/ verbal abuse part down :) Kermit and Piggy are so much more than karate chops and waving arms around frantically.
  17. Pinkflower7783

Kermit just needs to put a ring on it! Is all I gotta say! LOL! So after physical and verbal what's left to the relationship? Other then the fact they've made it last 35 years. LOL!
    DannyRWW likes this.
  18. Pinkflower7783

We'll definitely agree to disagree on this one. LOL!
  19. bandit

bandit Well-Known Member

Alright.....
    I admit it. Pinky sent me a link and I -did- watch and I -did- live to tell about it. Despite the gag reflex I had to suppress when it came to the actual bits with the bachelorette and all of those dudes....It wasn't half bad. In fact, the Muppet bits were very funny and kind of sweet so I guess the torture of the rest of it paid off. Hahaha

And...let's not forget the monumental admission of love. Wow!
    DannyRWW and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  20. DannyRWW

I think the muppets classed it up a bit
    Pinkflower7783 and LouisTheOtter like this.