Underdog is coming to DVD on December 18, 2007!

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
Underdog is coming to dvd On December 18, 2007! Are you going to buy the Underdog the movie for Christmas this year!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
No. And here is the main reason: The film defies the premise of the original series and was done by a European, who even said he never actually saw the cartoon upon which the film was supposed to be based!

I mean, calling it Underdog and then clearly going against the core premise of the franchise is a spat on the character's legacy--not to mention that of the original voice actor, Wally Cox--as well as a hurtful blow as it pertains to the little hound's fanbase.

Also regarding the film, the rap sucks, because rap--in itself--primarily sucks, IMO. The ways in which the movie ruined the show's premise:

1. Giving Underdog a master when he needs no master
2. Making all other animals--Polly included (although Underdog might not mind)--nude
3. Making Riff-Raff into a pathethic rottweiler when he was designed to be a tough-as-nails wolfish ganster thug
4. Nixing Underdog's patentedly loveable rhyming for a teeny-bopper/potty humor type of verbage (or limiting said rhyming to a small section of the film when the real true Underdog spoke in rhyme every time)
5. Making the characters animals when they were supposed to be anthromorphic animal characterizations that could walk on what would be their hind legs
6. Ridding Underdog of his ability to actually speak with humans (that aren't his master)

Need I go on? Plus, Underdog's co-creator, Joe Harris hated the new idea as well, and yet, a certain Mouse House went along with the plans anyway!

But then again, what should I expect from a company who turns its staple icon from a cherished character for all ages to Dora-esque stuff for babies?

In short, to compare:

This IS Underdog: http://14-bis.deviantart.com/art/Sweet-Polly-and-Underdog-63626316

This IS NOT Underdog: http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/7587...D25304569000454DE2ABFEDECF9E8284831B75F48EF45

*cues the REAL Underdog theme*

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on just about every point you made. I do think rhyming every line would be taxing for a feature length modern film, but it would be great to punctuate key scenes and statements.

I did not see the film. It's one of the few times I just put my foot down. When it's free on cable I'll watch. Every ad I saw looked like some sort of Super Flying Dog, but it most definitely is not Underdog. It just doesn't translate that way. There could have been a moderately good sort of Disney Flying Dog movie opportunity if they'd left Underdog alone.

Beautiful drawing by the way! I don’t think I’ve seen the characters drawn so true and so well. That's a movie I would put down money to see. :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Every ad I saw looked like some sort of Super Flying Dog, but it most definitely is not Underdog. It just doesn't translate that way.
And sadly--as having my OWN little sister love the film would attest--kids today would now associate the once-proud name of a classic icon with a B-lister film that is nothing like the original product whatsoever in terms of overall premise.

There could have been a moderately good sort of Disney Flying Dog movie opportunity if they'd left Underdog alone.
Well, originally, the maker of the film wanted to do a film about another infamous superheroic animal, but the maker of said creation put their foot down. :big_grin:

Sadly, this wasn't the case for Classic Media--who currently owns the Underdog license--and so, thanks to them, we've now got this travesty of justice as a stain on the shoe of the Underdog legacy that I think not even Shoeshine Boy--alias Underdog--himself could buff out with his best shine. :cry:

Beautiful drawing by the way! I don’t think I’ve seen the characters drawn so true and so well. That's a movie I would put down money to see. :smile:
Ditto, but to the artist's credit, the drawing was made by another fan of the original cartoon, not me. I just used it--and am now giving credit where credit is due (to the artist who did the work)--as a reference as to what Underdog truly is and should forever be remembered for being.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, originally, the maker of the film wanted to do a film about another infamous superheroic animal, but the maker of said creation put their foot down. :big_grin:
Which one? Spider-Pig? Seriously though, which one because I hadn't heard anything?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Which one? Spider-Pig? Seriously though, which one because I hadn't heard anything?
I can't remember. But I know it came way before Spider Pig. I think it was something probably done by another country, as what it is escapes me at the present time, and I can usually recall American & Canadian television pretty well. :smile:

The only good thing that came out of the release of this dud of a film--for me, anyway--would be the subsequent DVD releases of the REAL series, which I am nabbing every chance I can! :smile:

Favorite episodes:

Whistler's Father
Pt. 1
Pt. 2
Pt. 3
Pt. 4

From Helpless to Hopeless
Pt. 1
Pt. 2
Pt. 3
Pt. 4

The Witch of Pickyoon
Pt. 1
Pt. 2
Pt. 3
Pt. 4

Go Snow
Pt. 1
Pt. 2
Pt. 3
Pt. 4

Note: The above episodes were posted to show what the true Underdog should be, not to stave off releases of the series on DVD. Therefore, I suggest that you watch the episodes if you must, but then buy the show's DVDs to show fan trust. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't remember. But I know it came way before Spider Pig. I think it was something probably done by another country, as what it is escapes me at the present time, and I can usually recall American & Canadian television pretty well. :smile:

Could it be Mighty mouse? I know they've been clammoring to make that one for a while now. Hope it never takes off.

wwfpooh, you hit the nail on the head. Everything about that film looked like they threw the original source matereal in the garbage and made their own thing. And it sucks, because I could see endless potential in a real Underdog film. If more companies followed the example of the new CGI Garfield film, or better yet, the latest TMNT film, then they'd be on to something. Would I rather see traditional animation? Sure.

But as I said, what made TMNT a great film for me was they didn't dumb it down for little kids (toned down the violence for a PG rating, yes). They didn't use it as a relaunch of the franchise, they used it is a actual 4th film. Not to mention (like the first 3 movies) the new series has the same tone.

I wouldn't even want to rent this out of morbid curiosity. However, I did hear the Target Exclusive 3 disk Underdog collection will be available everywhere on that date as well. Too Bad target's was much cheeper.

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
I feel that noone likes the Underdog movie! I am depressed, Saddend!:cry:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's okay if you like it. I'm fine if pople enjoy it. I just am sick of seeing my favorite cartoon characters reduced to script doctored shinoligans.