Underrated music

Kiki

Reaction score
OOH! OOH! I have a few more!

Yes: Obviously they were pretty massive in the 70's, but I don't know anyone under the age of 50, with the exception of teenage fans online, who are aware of them. Again, like ELP who I mentioned earlier, I love how ambitious these guys were, they produced some pretty unique stuff.

Todd Rundgren: Really awesome. I personally love his sappy love songs, but again- not everyone's cup of tea.

Mark-Almond: I found out about this group through my mum, who used to listen to them in the early 70's. They're a mixture of jazz and soft rock, and I still haven't met one person who knows of them.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'd also include Cyndi Lauper. She had such a strong image when she debuted that after a few years, she got pigeonholed as a somewhat fluffy novelty act (not helped by her involvement with pro wrestling) and was among several artists who lost airplay in the late 80's when radio stations got very specific with their formats - being in a place that was too weird for mainstream and too big for alternative stations. But she's a true talent and artist in both her singing and songwriting who often amazes! I went to a concert where she opened for Tina Turner primarily to see her and discovered lots of other people went to the same concert more for Cyndi.
I third the Cyndi love. Fantastic voice, great energy and she just kind of does what she wants. That last part explains her absences.

Nick22

Reaction score
OOH! OOH! I have a few more!

Yes: Obviously they were pretty massive in the 70's, but I don't know anyone under the age of 50, with the exception of teenage fans online, who are aware of them. Again, like ELP who I mentioned earlier, I love how ambitious these guys were, they produced some pretty unique stuff.

Todd Rundgren: Really awesome. I personally love his sappy love songs, but again- not everyone's cup of tea.

Mark-Almond: I found out about this group through my mum, who used to listen to them in the early 70's. They're a mixture of jazz and soft rock, and I still haven't met one person who knows of them.

yes was the first concert my mom ever went to when she was in 6th grade. i've never head any of their stuff, but imma look em up right now :smile:

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Here's an underrated song: Aha's "Take on Me". Everybody talks about how much they love the music video but hate the song. Certainly, somebody else here likes it as a song.

Kiki

Reaction score
yes was the first concert my mom ever went to when she was in 6th grade. i've never head any of their stuff, but imma look em up right now :smile:
Awwww man that's so awesome that Yes was the first concert your mum went to. :big_grin: Oh! And please give them a listen, they really are a smashing band, I'd love to hear what you think of them! :wink:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Here's an underrated song: Aha's "Take on Me". Everybody talks about how much they love the music video but hate the song. Certainly, somebody else here likes it as a song.
Not only is the song underrated but so is the group. America sees them as a one-hit wonder but they've been together, making music and having hits elsewhere for years. Wonderful band that was much more than that video or that song.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Speaking of one-hit wonders, another underrated song is "Cry For Help". After cutting ties with music production powerhouse Stock Aitken Waterman, Rick Astley shifts his style from cheesy, recycled Hi-NRG pop songs to a cheesy R&B ballad, along with a new hairdo. And it is wonderful, especially coming from a guy who is famous for "rickrolls" nowadays. :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2xel6q0yao

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Not only is the song underrated but so is the group. America sees them as a one-hit wonder but they've been together, making music and having hits elsewhere for years. Wonderful band that was much more than that video or that song.
Yeah, a lot of one-hit wonders fall under this category. For example, had my mom not mentioned it, I would have never known that Rick Springfield had a song with my name as the title. (Sure some other artists had songs using the name, but not with the same spelling)

Yorick

Reaction score
Rick Astley

I CERTAINLY like it as a song! :smile: I will add that the video is one of the most unique of all time, and great! But the song is the cake, and the video is the icing...

Yorick

Reaction score
Speaking of one-hit wonders, another underrated song is "Cry For Help". After cutting ties with music production powerhouse Stock Aitken Waterman, Rick Astley shifts his style from cheesy, recycled Hi-NRG pop songs to a cheesy R&B ballad, along with a new hairdo. And it is wonderful, especially coming from a guy who is famous for "rickrolls" nowadays. :smile:
Great song choice! Rick Astley is the MAN! I want to share some LINKS here for you to hear his songs, because when it comes to "pop" music, he's the best! I am not ashamed to admit I like his 80's stuff:
1. Never Gonna Give You Up
2. Whenever You Need Somebody
3. Take Me To Your Heart
4. Together Forever
5. She Wants To Dance With Me
and others...there's an innocence there, mixed with catchy tunes and a great singer named Rick Astley...then in the 90's he had more fine work with a more "mature" style:
6. Cry For Help (GREAT song. listen to those lyrics!)
7. Hopelessly (Kind of like early 90's Disney movie ballads - lovely)
and others...and in the early 00's he released:
8. Sleeping (which fit in the style of then, yet still good, with a great Rick vocal)
and in the 10's already he has:
9. Lights Out
10. Goodbye But Not The End (which again, both fit the current format for rock/pop and SHOULD be hits, because they're as good as anything else making the charts now (if not better in most cases, I feel)...I, as a rule, am not a fan of the current hits, but if these Rick songs made it on the charts, I would be much happier with the music taste of the world...

Let's recap:
1. Never Gonna Give You Up
2. Whenever You Need Somebody
3. Take Me To Your Heart
4. Together Forever
5. She Wants To Dance With Me
6. Cry For Help
7. Hopelessly
8. Sleeping
9. Lights Out
10. Goodbye But Not The End