Unemployment is now 7.6%

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh, even if the recession is fixed, we'll still be in trouble as long as the present two party system remains intact. We get what we continue to vote for, hehe.
If only a GOOD third party candidate came out. Like someone with actual political experience. that's the problem and the reason for the 2 party system. If they want to compete with the big boys they need to get organized.

Though I just love how everyone assumes that a third party will somehow be incorruptible. After all, it's politics.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If only a GOOD third party candidate came out. Like someone with actual political experience.
I think we've seen all the good political experience can do. Heh :wink:

Still, you're right, a third party isn't the magical solution. But it would be more democratic and potentially more beneficial to have more options beyond the wealthy few. That's why we have the two parties. Not because they're qualified, but because they have money. Follow the money. :wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
As much I dislike Obama, I won't shoot myself in the foot here. I do hope he is able to help the country out of this.
I actually think he has some pretty good ideas.

Wait a year... if things don't work out, MAD Magazine will have predicted the future. Americans will sneak into Mexico to get jobs.
That actually sounds pretty true to live and not very far off from happening. :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I actually think he has some pretty good ideas.
It's hard, I mean, I personally don't mind that he put stuff about alternative energy in his bill. We can't keep putting this off for the sake of big business. How much time has the planet got?

At the same time, there are other important issues I vehemently disgree with him about. And they are no less important to me.

Plus his choices for staff haven't been too impressive as of yet! He claimed he stood for change. He meant change from Republicans and back to the same old Democrats! :stick_out_tongue:

But you know, again, we get what we vote for. :wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It's hard, I mean, I personally don't mind that he put stuff about alternative energy in his bill. We can't keep putting this off for the sake of big business. How much time has the planet got?

At the same time, there are other important issues I vehemently disgree with him about. And they are no less important to me.

Plus his choices for staff haven't been too impressive as of yet! He claimed he stood for change. He meant change from Republicans and back to the same old Democrats! :stick_out_tongue:

But you know, again, we get what we vote for. :wink:
I get what you're saying. I mean, there are a number of things I disagree with him on as well. But I do think he has some good ideas. And from the stand point of him being a politician, I didn't but the whole change things one bit. Yeah, I thought some of his staff choice was not so great, myself. I think some people out there need to get in thee heard that real change does not happen over night. (Not talking bout anybody on here of course, heh!)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I mean, perhaps real change doesn't happen with just one new President. :wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plus his choices for staff haven't been too impressive as of yet! He claimed he stood for change. He meant change from Republicans and back to the same old Democrats!
Hey, the Republicans had 8 years, and they did such a great job keeping to their parties habits. What really gets me is they lost, they knew they lost, and they whine about why doesn't anyone like them anymore... and then they do the same things they've been doing the last 8 years. I think both parties need to get back in touch with their roots. I almost laughed so hard I busted a gut when McCain said they were the party of Teddy Roosevelt. Yeah... and give me one good example where they tried to take down big business.

As for the Democrats, I can't remember what they stood for, since they sat their quietly the whole time Bush was in charge, and they couldn't even squeak a small bill out that effectively said, "we may have helped vote for it, but now we don't think the war was a necessarily wise thing to do." It didn't do anything, it didn't even go to prove anything, and even then it couldn't pass.

But I think the true problem with a third party is... well... if you ever seen the Pinky and the Brain episode where Pinky somehow ran for president and he got all these requests from millions of odd little third parties.... that's where they go wrong. A lot of them are special interest groups, and not moderates, like we would like. And those said groups drag down the more organized well thought out ones.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hey, the Republicans had 8 years, and they did such a great job keeping to their parties habits. What really gets me is they lost, they knew they lost, and they whine about why doesn't anyone like them anymore... and then they do the same things they've been doing the last 8 years.
See, from my perspective, you not only described the Republican party, but the Democrat party as well. There is no real difference. Opposite, but identical. :wink:

But I think the true problem with a third party is... well... if you ever seen the Pinky and the Brain episode where Pinky somehow ran for president and he got all these requests from millions of odd little third parties.... that's where they go wrong. A lot of them are special interest groups, and not moderates, like we would like. And those said groups drag down the more organized well thought out ones.
Well I agree that the third parties need to be more organized and in some cases less crazy, hehe. But again, the parties currently in charge are mainly there because they have the money, not because they deserve to be. The major candidates may claim to be moderate, but in reality barely follow through with any of their so called beliefs once the voting is over.

It's not that far fetched that Rufus T. Firefly became the dictator of a nation. :wink:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
The real problem, from what I've seen, is that people who ARE good at their jobs ... aren't interested in politics. If someone were willing to run the country like an ethical business (and had some sense), that person would not get voted in, because the public wants you to tell them what they want to hear, not what the country really NEEDS.

If I were president (and I've only got, what, 4 years or so before I qualify?), I would work on, primarily, streamlining education and healthcare. It's no use complaining that there are no jobs if people simply can't fill them. I'd also put a stop to rewarding incompetence (coughbailoutcough). If it takes reality-show-like contests to get companies to want to work towards NEEDED goals, then let's go for it. I'd also want US companies who want to bail out on paying taxes or staying environmentally legal to sign over their control. In other words, if you think Mexico is such a better place ... move there and don't darken our door again. Don't continue to bask under the perks of this country if you don't want to follow its rules.

I also want to see a work ethic come back into style. There is really no motivation for the lowly cashier to not cheat on taxes, etc ... if the CEO of their company is doing it too. Why come into work when Congresspeople barely manage it? When I was a teacher, during our inservices, teachers would talk during the meetings, check their cellphones, etc. Well, NO WONDER the kids can't behave. I'd like to see a concerted effort in the PR department, getting people to enjoy working again. Yes, there will be bad days. But I'm willing to bet that if you fixed America's work ethic, obesity and tax evasion and healthcare and stuff would just naturally fit back together.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Those special interest groups are what is dragging politics down, because the politicians have to cater to those groups needs and wants. In order to get the vote, the politician says they'll do this and that for a special interest group. But you can't do that! You can't go around pleasing everybody. Pretty soon, all those promises you made are going to be a list a mile long and it's going to give you a headache trying to do all those things you promosied.

Personally if I were a politician running for something, I would get all those interest groups in a room, I would tell them I will try my best to do the right thing, to do what I think is best, but that I can't please everybody and I'm not going to try to please everybody, because if I did that, I wouldn't get anything accomplished if I had to worry about pleasing this group vs that group.

But you know what, that's how you win elections, by pleasing people and catering to their wants and desires. That's one thing Obama has done that will bite him in the rear end before his first term comes to a close.