Unofficial Old School Volumes 3 & 4 Fan Questions

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought it might be great to post a survey-type post about the possibilities of Old School volumes 3 and 4. Assuming that those sets will include the next ten season premieres altogether. now, this is not official, and our answers won't be what Sesame Workshop considers (well, not now... Maybe somebody at Sesame Workshop or Genius will find this...), and there won't be any prizes given.

Assuming that volume 3 will be the seasons 11-15 premieres, and volume 4 wil be the seasons 16-20 premieres, you can check Muppet Wiki to see what skits are known to be included (with the exception of the season 16 premiere), before wishing fro certain bonus sketches.

And now the questions:

1. If volume 3 were to include either The Honker Duckie Dinger Jambouree or D-U-C-K-I-E, but couldn't include both, which would you include?

2. If volume 4 were to include either Put Down the Duckie or Do De Rubber Duck, but not both, which would you include?

3. If volume 3 were to include a Monsterpeice Theater semgnet as a bonus feature, which one would you include? I beleive that Upstairs, Downstairs and Sound of Music are the only ones from this time period that are not included in any of the early season premieres.

4. If volume 4 were to include two bonus Monsterpeice Theater segments, which would you include? I beleive that this time period included the debuts of Gone with the Wind, Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, The 39 Stairs, and The Taming of the Shoe.

5. James Taylor made at least three appearances during the early 1980s, performing Jellyman Kelly, You're Grouchy Face, and Up on the Rooftop. If one of these three appearances were to be included, which one would you want to be included?

6. Cab Calloway made at least two appearances with the Two-Headed Monster, singing Jump Jive and Heigh De Ho Man. If only one of those could be included in volume 3, which one would you include?

7. If only one Kermit song from 1979-1980 (which includes My Pollywog Ways, If I Were, Disco Frog, and The Frogs in the Glen) could be included in volume 3, and only one Kermit sogn from 1984-1989 (which includes African Alphabet, I Love My Elbows, Carribean Amphibean, and maybe Bayou Alphabet, Get Along, Do Op Hop, The Heart of a Frog, and In the Quiet of the Evening... On My Pond appears in the 19th season premiere), which would you include?

8. Which of the following Ernie songs would you include in volume 4: I Don't Want to Live on the Moon, Imagine That or Grow High Grow Low? (note: I don't know the exact debut date of any of those songs)

9. If volume 3 had to include either Dance Myself to Sleep or But I Like You, which would you include?

10. If volume 3 had to include either Fuzzy and Blue (and Orange) or Me Gotta Be Blue, but not both, which would you pick?

11. Finally, what are some segmnets that are in the season 11-20 premieres that you are most looking forward to, and would like to have included if different epsidoes are chosen?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
my answers

1. If volume 3 were to include either The Honker Duckie Dinger Jambouree or D-U-C-K-I-E, but couldn't include both, which would you include?D-U-C-K-I-E. That's the only Rubber Duckie song that hasn't been reelased on video.

2. If volume 4 were to include either Put Down the Duckie or Do De Rubber Duck, but not both, which would you include? Do De Rubber Duck. It's always fun to see those characetrs together.

3. If volume 3 were to include a Monsterpeice Theater semgnet as a bonus feature, which one would you include? I beleive that Upstairs, Downstairs and Sound of Music are the only ones from this time period that are not included in any of the early season premieres. Upstairs, Downstairs

4. If volume 4 were to include two bonus Monsterpeice Theater segments, which would you include? I beleive that this time period included the debuts of Gone with the Wind, Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, The 39 Stairs, and The Taming of the Shoe. Gone with the Wind and Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves.

5. James Taylor made at least three appearances during the early 1980s, performing Jellyman Kelly, You're Grouchy Face, and Up on the Rooftop. If one of these three appearances were to be included, which one would you want to be included? You're Grouchy Face.

6. Cab Calloway made at least two appearances with the Two-Headed Monster, singing Jump Jive and Heigh De Ho Man. If only one of those could be included in volume 3, which one would you include? Heigh De Ho Man

7. If only one Kermit song from 1979-1980 (which includes My Pollywog Ways, If I Were, Disco Frog, and The Frogs in the Glen) could be included in volume 3, and only one Kermit sogn from 1984-1989 (which includes African Alphabet, I Love My Elbows, Carribean Amphibean, and maybe Bayou Alphabet, Get Along, Do Op Hop, The Heart of a Frog, and In the Quiet of the Evening... On My Pond appears in the 19th season premiere), which would you include? Vol. 3 - If I Were. Vol. 4 - Bayou Alphabet.

8. Which of the following Ernie songs would you include in volume 4: I Don't Want to Live on the Moon, Imagine That or Grow High Grow Low? (note: I don't know the exact debut date of any of those songs) Imagine That.

9. If volume 3 had to include either Dance Myself to Sleep or But I Like You, which would you include? But I Like You

10. If volume 3 had to include either Fuzzy and Blue (and Orange) or Me Gotta Be Blue, but not both, which would you pick? Fuzzy and Blue (and Orange). Though the other isn't as widely available on video, it is more of a classic, and features Frazzle.

11. Finally, what are some segmnets that are in the season 11-20 premieres that you are most looking forward to, and would like to have included if different epsidoes are chosen? Monsterpeice Theater: Me, Claudias, Monsterpeice Theater: CHariots of Fur, Sesame Street News: The Elves and the Shoemaker, Kermit holds an EXIT sign, the original Forgetful Jones remembers to brush his teeth sketch.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... Some consideration that might throw this into more of an open debate is the strong possibility that Volume 3 might not be strictly Seasons 11-15 premieres, but instead have the Hawaii Vacation episodes as has been hinted at in various threads here.
Just something to think about.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know... Some consideration that might throw this into more of an open debate is the strong possibility that Volume 3 might not be strictly Seasons 11-15 premieres, but instead have the Hawaii Vacation episodes as has been hinted at in various threads here.
Just something to think about.
Yeah, but for the sake of this thread I figured I'd ask questions based on supposing that the next two sets will be the following premieres, I didn't say it was definate. Heck, even if volume 3 is the next five premieres, and not the hawaii epsidoes or other epsidoes, that doesn't mean that volume 4 will be the following premieres.

I thought about asking what Sesame Street News segments people would want for these sets, suggesting that two could be bonuses for volume 3, and three could be bonuses for volume 4, but then chose not to. I chose not to list which segments I think/ know are from before 1984, and which ones I think are from later.

For that question about Kermit songs, I forgot to mention that Tadpole is from the late 1980s (either 1987 or 1988). And I forgot to list I Wonder About the World Above Up There as a maybe. I've seen that song listed with a 1988 copyright date (in Jim Henson: A Sesame Street Celebration) and a 1990 copyright date (in It's Not Easy Being Green and Other Things to Consider).

ISNorden

Reaction score
I have heard (from a Hawaiian reporter who interviewed Buffy Sainte-Marie) that Sesame Workshop does indeed plan to put the trip episodes on DVD. Still, I suspect that they're releasing it separately from the Old School numbered sets, probably as a "30th anniversary of the trip" special...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems like Old School Volume 1 had a lot of classic bonus segmnets, though many rarities and random choices were also included, while volume 2 didn't seem to have as many classics. I guess it's hard to determine what sketches are truly classics and not just fan favorites. Promotion for volume 1 seemed to focus on a lot of the classics being released, while volume 2 promotion only mentioend a few segments and celebrities. Then again, I can't think of as many segmnets that I consider "classic" for that time period than I can other time periods.

It seems like many songs are classics. It seems like until the 1980s many of the main Mupet characters didn't have many of their own songs (notice that many "best of" compilations feature a number of non-music sketches). But by the late 1980s, it seems like Ernie had a lot more classic songs, including I Don't Want to Live on the Moon, Imagine That, Grow High Grow Low, Do De Rubber Duck, Put Down the Duckie, One Fine Face, and others.

I wonder if it would be good for so many Ernie songs to be included in volume 4, if that does focus on 1984-1989 premieres. Some of those ones that I mentioend might not be as classic as I thought (some, like Grow High Grow Low, might just be classic in my mind becaus eof how frequently they've been shown in the last few seasons). I had one question about whetehr we've rather have Put Down the Duckie or Do De Rubber Duck on the same set, and I wonder if it would be best not to have either. They both have the same amount of region 1 DVD releases, and can both be watched on the web video player. Of course, I don't think there'll ever be any Old School sets that don't have anything that's been released commercially (but I could be wrong).