Unpaved disappointment

CookieFan

Reaction score
I finally get a chance to watch Unpaved early this morning (my toddler decided 3:45 AM was a perfectly fine hour to wake up for the day) and was sooooo disappointed because I was sooooo bored by 95% of the episode. It was the one where Bob & Marie & Mr. Hooper & Oscar & Big Bird (& somone else whose name I can't remember) go on a plane trip to Hawaii (and Mr. Snufflupagus gets left behind. I forgot he used to be MR.)

All this raving about how much better the Classic episodes were, and bleeeeeech!

Pretty much the only segment I enjoyed was where Ernie was telling Bert he wanted to be a doctor when he grew up (in about 23 years). And that confused me because now I'm wondering how old Ernie and Bert are supposed to be. Ernie was going on about 8 years of grade school, 4 years of high school, etc. Which would make Ernie five?? OK, so how old is Bert supposed to be? And if they're BOTH pre-schoolers, how come they live in an NYC apartment all by themselves?

OK, was thinking WAAAY too much this morning. Blame it on sleep-deprivation.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I wonder if Ernie and Bert really DO live alone? I mean because they might have unseen parents there somewhere. Then again, Bert has a nephew and a brother that looks like him with a mustache (right?). Plus, Ernie and Bert fly an airplane.

:stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Cheebo

Reaction score
That was a great episode! I loved oscar going through the metal detector part. :big_grin:

CookieFan

Reaction score
I think the metal detector scene and the other airport/airplane scenes just bothered me because of the currernt airport security situation. It was funny watching them WALK on the tarmac and climb the stair to get to the plane! How long has it been since we could do THAT (unless you're taking a teeny commuter plane!)?

There was one other segment I enjoyed during that ep, one w/Grover the waiter & fat blue. Those are always great. At the end Grover throws an unseen but noisy tantrum in the kitchen; they probably wouldn't try that in today's hyper-sensitive shows!

Still wondering how old Ernie and Bert are. Picked up the Sesame Unpaved book at the library today. It says they share the basement apartment of 123 Sesame Street. Just says Ernie was born Jan 28 and Bert July 26, but doesn't give their ages as far as I've seen (haven't read it yet, just skimmed it)

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure if it really matters how old they are. The wonderful thing about the muppets, regardless of age, is that they're not really limited to reality. I suppose one could ask the question "How does Ernie take Bert's nose off, is it a prosthetic?" To me, Ernie and Bert have always been Ernie and Bert...I've never really questioned why and how they live in an apartment together. If one desconstructs the characters too much I think they lose a lot of there beauty and wit.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I remember the doctor sketch very well, but I hadn't really thought of that. That is weird.

CookieFan

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure if it really matters how old they are. The wonderful thing about the muppets, regardless of age, is that they're not really limited to reality.
Ah, how true! I mean, we can accept a giant yellow talking bird, a giant brown furry elephant-like creature, monsters, and talking bears! So, questioning the age of Ernie & Bert is rather academic.

ssetta

Reaction score
I used to think when I was little that Bert was Ernie's father.

Hays

Reaction score
Funny; I always thought they were two brothers. My brother and I are about equally different, in ways very similar to B&E