Unpopular Opinions

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well it doesn't help that Marge's voice is a little raspy.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Oh yeah, all of the voice actors sound, not just old, but tired now. Its pretty depressing.
Julie Kavner can't even really emote in Marge's voice anymore

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
As much as I love The Simspsons, I have no interest in the new episodes. I watch the new Halloween ones, but that's usually it.

The most striking thing I've noticed about newer episodes is Marge's voice; Julie Kavner really cannot sound at all like she used to.
There have been a couple new Simpsons episodes that weren't Halloween related that I enjoyed. Mainly the medieval one, The Serfsons which put them in a fantasy-type setting. A lot of the pop culture gags like Selma dating a Wight Walker, Aslan from Narnia being portrayed as a Jehovah's Witness, and that clever little jab Marge made at how ridiculously long The Hobbit movies were made the episode more than worth a watch for me.

I also rather enjoyed the one where Bart got struck by lightning and went into a coma, where he dreamt of being able to speak to ghosts. I found the ending to be the best part of the episode where they showed how all the main characters are going to die. Seeing all those characters I've known and loved for all these years meeting their eventual demises really made me emotional and that's something I never expected from modern Simpsons. The old ones had plenty of heartwarming and emotional moments but the new ones almost never do.

Mainly, I agree with you though. I've occasionally tuned into new Simpsons and I feel like the show relies far more on pandering to the young demographic then anything else nowadays. I've seen episodes about such "trendy" things as Pokemon Go, The Avengers:Infinity War, and the female Ghostbusters movie. Original Simpsons was for the most part timeless and aside from a few pop culture/political jabs here and there that didn't really hold up too well, most of even the oldest episodes entertain me just as much now as they did back when I first saw them all those many years ago. But I highly doubt people will even so much as remember most of the things they reference so frequently in the foreseeing future. Modern Simpsons is almost nothing more than a time capsule of the respective year each episode aired in.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Speaking of The Simpson's, the show has been lucky. After all these years, the only regular voice actors who have died are ones who didn't have many recurring characters and their characters weren't the kind who were needed for every single episode. Phil Hartman, Doris Grau, Marcia Wallace, and a handful of guest actors with characters who have returned a few times.

Makes me wonder what they'll do when any of the voice actors for the main family die, or if Hank Azaria and Harry Shearer die. I can't see them killing off any of the Simpson five, and Dan Castlenetta, Azaria, and Shearer all such a large number of characters who I'd hate to see written out. I guess they'll just have to recast them. Or end it sooner.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just realized that this was the unpopular opinions threat. Somehow I mistakenly thought it was the "questions about anything" or "you know what" thread, saw the talk about modern Simpsons, and started talking about some relevant things on my mind without realizing I'm probably in the wrong thread for that.

In terms of Unpopular Opinions: I really enjoy that new sitcom Broke, though judging by the comments in a Facebook post reporting that it's not been renewed for another season, it seems I might be the only one. Okay, so I saw a few other people say that they liked it, but the majority of the masses seem to dislike it, my parents have watched it with me and they don't really like it that much. I think it's awesome, though I also feel like maybe the concept is too good to last. I couldn't see the show lasting after the rich couple regain their fortune, if they ever do, and I feel like it'd be sad if they don't regain their fortune soon (though in real life they most likely wouldn't so soon... Though I would love to hear a real-life example of a rich couple becoming poor and then miraculously regaining their fortune within a few weeks!).

And having said that, with how so many critics and viewers dislike it (I'm not sure if the ratings have been better than the backlash), it is a miracle that they're still running the episodes that have not aired yet (but until they all air we can't be too sure that they'll air them all). Though I feel the promos might have hurt a little. Since the show began, it seems like they always air the same promo, containing clips from a variety of episodes, as opposed to promos focusing on the next episodes content (though I think they do run promos specifically regarding the next episode during the last commercial break).

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I just realized that this was the unpopular opinions threat. Somehow I mistakenly thought it was the "questions about anything" or "you know what" thread, saw the talk about modern Simpsons, and started talking about some relevant things on my mind without realizing I'm probably in the wrong thread for that.
To be fair, I did start it with an unpopular opinion.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When I see videos or lists of the hardest level from every Mario game, I kinda feel bored or disappointed that the hardest from Super Mario World is a Special World level. Maybe part of it is because I've never played those, even after watching tutorials on how to get to them (but I also haven't had a big desire to try.... though now I feel motivated), maybe it's because I'm more interested in other people's opinions on the hardest regular levels.