Updated Put Down The Duckie

ErnieImitator

Reaction score
Put Down the duckie has got to be one the most classic bits on Sesame Street, but I think if it were to air again, it needs some serious updating on celebrity cameos. So, lets say you all had a job on Sesame Street and your recent assignment is to update the "Put Down The Duckie" cameos. Who would you want, in order of appearance, and doing what on-screen?

Java

Reaction score
I think that I would want to return it to just Muppets appearing with Ernie while he was singing in the bathtub.

But that's just me.

Java

Reaction score
Oops, yea, I think I am. But didn't they also have a put down the duckie version that was just Hoots and Ernie originally?

swinetrekkie

Reaction score
okay, here's my list:

newer celebs -
Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert! Stephen MUST sing with Sam, the American Eagle!
Kevin Smith, just because he rocks

older celebs-
Jimmy Buffett
Mandy Patankin (in his 'cartoonishly evil' outfit from Elmo in Grouchland)
the Indigo Girls
Steve Martin
Whoopi
Samuel Jackson (surrounded by snakes!)
Barenaked Ladies
Harrison Ford
Dame Judy Dench

political and 'other' ones:
the entire Supreme Court (in robes, keeping time with gavels)
Howard Dean
Wil Wheaton (the author/actor who played Wesley Crusher on Star Trek TNG)Winona LaDuke
the guy who had 15 seconds of fame because he was the worst audition AmericanIdol ever had (because he makes me feel happy and I'm reassured that I can sing as badly as I want, too)
Alton Brown
the cast of West Wing (I'm still bummed it ended)
Adam West
the cast of Mythbusters

superboober

Reaction score
Among the things that popped into my mind on this are:

-a enraged-looking Bob Knight tossing Rubber Duckie away during the "send it flying on a rocket" line
-at one point or another Tony Shalhoub in character as Adrian Monk taking R.D. and giving it a good scrubbing down with his medicated wipes
-Regis Phillbin asking at the end of the song, "Is that your final verse?"

and that's all that comes to me at 2 in the morning. I'll see if I can find more later

swinetrekkie

Reaction score
I thought about Monk too! But I coudn't see him touching it - your idea is funnier

I also imagined:
Detective Goren (Vincten D'onofrio) from Law and Order Criminal Intent - the character that talks everyone into confessing - persuading Erine that 'you've got to put down the DUckie if you want to play the saxophone' (but Ernie doesn't get arrested in the end.

The Duckie in place of the chest in the big chase scene on the island in a montage of clips from Pirates of the CAribbean: Dead Man's Chest. I'd love to see Capt. Jack Sparrow say "Put down the Duckie, Mate!"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here is a list of celebrities who I would put in an update of the song:

Weird Al Yankovic (perhaps singing parody lyrics)
Adam Sandler
Jim Carrey
Allyson Hannigan
Kelly Clarkson
Wayne Brady
Larry the Cable Guy ("You gotta put down the duckie, you've just gotta Git-IR-Done!")
Norah Jones
Barry Williams
Jennifer Aniston
Keenan Thompson
Will Ferrell
Jack Black (as Nacho Libre)
Andy Milonakis
Avril Lavine
Ashlee Simpson
Bobby Knight

ISNorden

Reaction score
ErnieImitator said:
I think you're thinking of Do De Rubber Duck.
*nods* Ernie was not in a bathtub during any part of "Put Down the Duckie"; getting a saxophone full of soapsuds would have caused him more trouble than holding a rubber duck at the same time. :stick_out_tongue: In any case, most of the celebrity updates people have suggested so far are great. (I do wonder why the Supreme Court was on the new list, though; convincing all nine justices to take several days off for a taping sounds very difficult.)