Vault of Puppets Lawsuit

Telly

Reaction score
The simple answer is that just building a replica puppet is, in a technical sense at least, copyright infringement. It does not matter what the intent of the buyer or seller is or whether they make money or not; you cannot legally duplicate copyright work without the express permission of the copyright owner.

That being said, entertainment companies do not generally sue a fan that makes a replica puppet, prop or costume for their own personal use because it's not cost effective and there is very little to gain from suing your fans.
I guess this issue just goes over my head. I understand the whole "making a profit from the item" thing. So if it's illegal to make the replica in the first place, why isn't that frowned upon?

I'm not trying to be a pain. I'm honestly really trying to understand where everyone is coming from. :confused::wisdom:

muppetperson

Reaction score
I wonder if there will be a lawsuit or if he was just let off with a warning? Vault of Puppets is still running but the Muppet replicas section now says they are only a private gallery and not for sale.

MGov

Reaction score
Since there is no Copyright Police, Disney must defend this infringement with their notorious lawyers.
Actually, there is a Copyright Police. It's the F.B.I.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Actually, there is a Copyright Police. It's the F.B.I.
But they don't enforce anything. It is the copyright holder's duty to pursue the matter from beginning to end. The FBI doesn't really do much of anything as far as copyright law is concerned. However, they do have that nifty warning for home videos. :wisdom:

practicecactus

Reaction score
I find the whole 'arguing on behalf of a corporation' thing rather laughable.
If you're going to be so hardcore about copyright infringements, you wouldn't watch and fav things on youtube that clearly aren't the account holders copyright, ie; muppet show videos.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
I find the whole 'arguing on behalf of a corporation' thing rather laughable.
If you're going to be so hardcore about copyright infringements, you wouldn't watch and fav things on youtube that clearly aren't the account holders copyright, ie; muppet show videos.
honestly you prove a good point(not being sarcastic either)

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
im sure if disney wants the videos down they will come down, but as you may have read in the Times article, muppets are one of the more popular searches in Youtue so im sure they see that as a gage in how to market thier upcomming muppet productions,

but yes technicaly posting the videos on youtube is breaking the law.

Nick22

Reaction score
first of all, i think disney was being a little protective of their copyright with the whole day care thing. i think that vault of puppets had amazing puppets. i've always wanted a replica of one of the muppets. the master replica ones are fine but there is only 3 of them. but it is against the law, so he had it coming all along.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
It seems that his site has been taken down. Good thing, I really hope Disney stops this guy from making his slightly off Muppet replicas at outlandish prices. I wouldn't buy any puppet off that guy. Period. :mad: