Video Tapes Wanted for DVD-R Transfer

kustomboy

Reaction score
Hello, I've recently gained access to a DVD burner and I'd love to start transfering some of the older muppet tv specials. The problem is that I don't have any. What i'm looking to do is to find someone with High Quality copies of the specials to work with me. The deal would be you'd send me your tape and in return i would make 2 DVD-R's, i'd keep one and send you one and your tape back. And maybe sooner or later we could start trading out DVD-R's instead of video tapes.
Post your e-mail here if you are possibly interested in this.
Grant

kustomboy

Reaction score
ok, since nobody seems to be interested in this, does anyone want to trade me or sell me (for a reasonable price) a copy of the Muppets at WDW so I can make my own dvd of it?
weezmiser@aol.com

Jackie

Reaction score
Well the problem is no one wants to send you their only copy of their precious videos. You know?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
They can always send him copies, if they have the proper equipment to do so.

kustomboy

Reaction score
well, the problem with a copy is just that, it is a copy of probably a copy. i'd like to try to get as close to a tv master tape as possible so I can make the highest quality transfer possible. I'm not out to screw anyone over, I'm trying to provide a service. Once I have made the dvd I'd have no problem making a few more to spread around in order to get more stuff to transfer to dvd. Why keep trading copies of tapes that get worse with ever copy when we can put stuff on dvd and stop the generation losses. I'd be doing this stuff myself without even making the offer to give other people copies of the dvd's if I could get someone in this community to have helped me out in the first place when I started to try and get a copy of the Muppets at WDW. I've been trying to get a copy of this tape for 2 years with no luck, well i could have bought a copy a few times for over $50 a pop but I refuse to do that. I'm not out to screw anyone over, i just want a copy of muppets at WDW, I'm willing to give the person who is nice enough to A) loan me there master tape a dvd copy and return their tape by sending it priority mail with shipping confirmation or B) if some one would hook me up with a copy of a tape in a B/P trade or a 2:1 trade than I will be forever grateful, make my dvd-r and keep it for myself. Just imagine having all of your muppet tapes on DVD, it's beautiful. I've already made a beautiful transfer of the muppet christmas special with full artwork and I just want to keep adding to the muppet dvd collection and help the person who helps me start building their collection.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
That's what we needed to hear. Is everyone reassured now?

Incidentally, my dad has a mini-DV camera that I could probably use to "store" some of the more precious items in my tape collection. Get it?

anathema

Reaction score
Realistically, even if the tape's a copy of a VHS, it isn't going to make that much difference to the transfer. It'll still look pretty awful on DVD. Trust me, I've been doing this for six months now! (My copy of VMC was recorded directly to hard disk, so the DVD is pretty close to broadcast-grade. :smile:)

kustomboy

Reaction score
"Incidentally, my dad has a mini-DV camera that I could probably use to "store" some of the more precious items in my tape collection. Get it?"

exactly, even if people arent' willing to help me out (which is fine, i'll keep looking for the tapes), please someone put this stuff in digital format so 20 years from now someone will have access to a decent copy.

"Realistically, even if the tape's a copy of a VHS, it isn't going to make that much difference to the transfer. It'll still look pretty awful on DVD. Trust me, I've been doing this for six months now! (My copy of VMC was recorded directly to hard disk, so the DVD is pretty close to broadcast-grade. )"

Did you compress it to burn it all on one disc or did you spread it out over 2? I'm just curious. I'm wondering if there is a noticable quality loss in burning an hour per disc, 2 hours, or 4 hours, since i'm still "fairly" new to dvd-r burning. The only tapes i've transfered other than VMC so far are some of my wife as a kid from 19 years ago, so the quality i'm working with isn't that great.

anathema

Reaction score
Just the one disc. It's not advisable to put much more than 2 hours on a DVD-R at full 720x576 or 720x480 resolution unless you like compression artefacts :smile:

Feel free to drop me a line if you'd like to discuss anything about the process. :smile:

getup

Reaction score
whatever you are working with...if you go from vhs to dvd...it's not going to increase the quality of the video. you'll get what you give in. you can't all of a sudden make digital picture out of an analog source. i tried to make dvds out of vhs tapes of fraggle rock. i myself have a dvd burner. it's great! fun to do projects...but, as i said, no matter how hard you try, you're not going to get perfect quality. it comes out as equivalent or just under watching clear broadcast television but wouldn't even be equivalent to a retail vhs tape of the show. you can clear up the video somewhat and smooth it out with computer programs...and even fit more than 2 hours with a good program that compresses the video and you can barely tell a difference...but, overall, vhs-dvd is more like vhs-vhs minus a couple of quality points...basically, you can't get a better picture than what you start out with