1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Video: The Muppet Christmas Carol Blu-ray Extras

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Check out previews of some of The Muppet Christmas Carol Blu-ray extras...

"The Muppet Christmas Carol" will finally arrive on Blu-ray Tuesday November 6.
    Since most of us will be getting "The Muppet Christmas Carol" Blu-ray, we'd like to mention that if you order the Muppet Blu-ray from Amazon using this link, that a small portion of your entire order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly and help make future upgrades possible. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the DVD. We greatly appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through links on our site.

November 6 will be one of the biggest release dates of the year (next to March 20 of course). The releases include: The Muppet Christmas Carol Blu-ray, A Special Sesame Street Christmas DVD (A Special Sesame Street Christmas CD is coming to October 16) and Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 on DVD as well.
  2. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Nice, loved Swedish Chef
  3. CarrieTheGreat

CarrieTheGreat New Member

Just checked the Amazon web site, and the Muppet Christmas Carol blu-ray running time is 84 minutes, four minutes shorter than my laserdisc version which included the song, "When Love Is Gone."

I'm so sick right now I can't tell you.

Yes I can. Did IQ's just drop sharply at Disney? Has no one there read all the desires expressed by fans of this movie to see it complete and uncut in the best format possible? I intend to contact them about this terrible -- it can't be an oversight -- decision to remove the most touching moment in the entire film!
  4. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Let's just hope it's included in the bonus features.
    (and somehow I see 85 minutes)
  5. CarrieTheGreat

Well, I've got the final word from Lana at Disney DVD, and the blu-ray version is going to be "theatrical" version only!

Muppet fans, we have to band together on this one and make it a complete dud for Disney. We shouldn't buy this release, and we should all be calling 800-723-4763 and let them know WHY we're not buying it.

The Muppet Christmas Carol deserves a blu-ray treatment in widescreen complete with the exquisite and pivotal "When Love Is Gone" musical number.

I will continue to hold on to my beloved laserdisc of this film and watch it every year, or have it converted to DVD at a price more expensive than buying only most of the film.
  6. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Keep in mind, the song "When Love is Gone" was not in the US theatrical release of the film at all. It was a deleted scene. It was added later for the 1993 US VHS and Laserdisc release that you now have. Brian Henson pushed to have it included in the theatrical cut, but Disney removed it from the final film. We're lucky Disney released it at all really.

So if Disney doesn't include it in the Blu-ray cut of the film, some people will be upset that it's not there (like you), but others will be upset that it's not exactly like the theatrical version because they believe it should only be included as a "deleted scene" which it technically is.

I do agree at the very least "When Love is Gone" should be included as a "deleted scene" or "bonus feature" without question. Many folks like the Meredith Braun song. By the way, Meredith Braun has released a new solo album which includes an English and French version of Rainbow Connection. Check it out if you haven't heard it.

Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  7. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

It's a wonderful song, and should in some way be on the Blu-ray.
  8. CarrieTheGreat

Seamless branching would have been a simple solution.

Seeing the film with the song included is the only way to go in my opinion. Disney was wrong to cut it from the theatrical version, and a 20th Anniversary edition ought to include the Director's Cut.

Why anyone would be unhappy were the song included is beyond me.
  9. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to this. And I really hope that if we get this, that there are more Blu-rays coming. I would love to see what all they could do with the Muppet Movie.
  10. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I still have yet to decide if I'm buying this. "The When Love Is Gone" scene really doesn't bother me one way or another if its included or not. This was a movie that was just okay to me. I didn't hate it but didn't love it either...but at the same time I'd love to hear the new audio commentary. I'll probably just wait and hear what everyone thinks of it first.

Although I think Amazon could've done their homework better in the "Product Details" they have Steve Whitmire listed as "Steve Whitmore." :/
  11. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I have no opinion either way but from what I've read over the years some fans just thought it was too long and lengthy a sequence with no Muppets.
  12. Pinkflower7783

That's probably why I could care less about the scene myself. Lol
    heralde likes this.
  13. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

i'm outraged. i grew up on the extended edition on VHS, so i was REALLY wanting this to have at least both versions, like the dvd did.

i'm so upset right now. disney sucks
  14. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

No, they most certainly do not "suck". Who is releasing this? Who gave it new bonus features? Just because it is cutting out one part that wasn't even in the theatrical cut, does NOT mean that Disney sucks.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  15. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, they suck alright. Leave out one scene of movie, how dare they!
  16. heralde

It's been awhile so I tried to watch it again just now. I'll be honest my first thought was "90's kid's movie song." Lol. To be fair this has never been my favorite scene in any incarnation of A Christmas Carol. I just don't care that much about Scrooge's girlfriend (except maybe in Scrooged, hehe).

It is a little strange to have such an extended scene with no Muppets in a Muppet film. And I remember the Tough Pigs guys pointing out that the movie gets repetitive with "three 'pretty' songs in a row." Both are likely reasons the song was cut.

But I can certainly understand that people who grew up with the VHS release would be fond of the number. At least it is on the DVD; some of my friends who are big fans of the movie say that still works for them for now.

I will say, the one thing that I really liked in the scene was Michael Caine's reactions. That pretty much sums up my feelings on the movie in general. ;)
  17. Pinkflower7783

Well I can be fair too Christmas Carol isn't exactly my favorite story however when I first saw it I thought well it being Muppets maybe it'll actually be pretty good. But alas my feelings didn't change much. As I've said many times I don't like when the Muppets role play. I didn't like they were more co-stars rather then at the forefront like they always are or had been. Which is why I have never owned this movie in any format. However the "Bless Us All" scene is one of my favorite Muppet scenes despite the movie itself being my least favorite.

I did just rewatch the clip that was posted as it's been awhile since I had seen it. Honestly and I don't even say this because I didn't care for the movie but the scene doesn't really do much for me. *Please don't flame me!* I mean this is a Muppet movie and there's no Muppets in the scene at all. I think it's kind of boring. I can see why fans do like it as it does add to the story but I also see Disney's point as well it just feels like it's dragging. Has it even been said if their at least including it in the bonus features? I mean that would be better then nothing for fans who feel that strongly about it. As Phillip said technically in the final cut that's all it ended up being was a deleted scene.
  18. heralde

Yeah we're on the same page. I did try watching MCC as a kid but just didn't connect with it. I think some of the songs are very good and I enjoy Michael Caine in nearly everything he does but the movie as a whole just doesn't feel like a Muppet movie for me. It was trying to force the Muppets into a Dickensian style, rather than the other way around.

But again, I get that a lot of people enjoy it and that's fine. :)
  19. Pinkflower7783

Yep same here I am in no way disrespecting the ones who did like it. I'm just giving my personal opinions on it. However like I said I can see both sides about this particular scene. But for me the whole point of me watching it was because it was a MUPPET movie. Otherwise I might as well just have watched the actual Christmas Carol without the frogs, bears, and chickens. :D
  20. heralde

Exactly, that's how it feels. A scene with a similar issue was nephew Fred's dinner party. I don't care about these actors (again, except Michael Caine ;)), I just want to see the Muppets, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.