Vincent Price vs Alice Cooper

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, I bought "Monster Laughs" after I lost the tape of the uncut syndicated episodes I recorded off TV (TMS used to air twice on Saturday mornings on a local station). This was before Nickelodeon started showing the episodes, beginning in the spring of 1994. From what I recall, the Vincent Price episode that aired on Nick was uncut, save for the dubbed "Jack Parnell" line in the haunted house sketch. I remember the Rita Moreno episode was hacked to bits. Rita's opening number was completely missing, "Fever," which closed the show, was placed as the opening number, and at least one of Fozzie's running gags to Kermit was omitted. I don't recall the Alice Cooper episode airing on Nick. Maybe I just missed it?

I've read that Nickelodeon cut the At the Dance segment from the Vincent Price epsiode (the only first season At the Dance segment to be cut). But from what I remember, Nickelodeon began airing reruns in April 1994, and that video was released in October 1994. And Nickelodeon didn't air every episode, for some reason. Only 65 episodes were aired on Nickelodeon. I don't know if this was by choice or if Henson forgot to send some of the episodes. I posted a thread about this a long time ago, and somebody posted a list of all the epsiodes that were shown (though there seems to be soem debate over whether the Cleo Lane epsidoe aired on Nickelodeon).

Mad Hatter

Reaction score
They are the same monster, only with alterations (Timmy had green hair in most of season two, and no tail). I've read that Timmy Monster was referred to by name in a picture caption from thats cene in TheArt of the Muppets, while his name was mentioend on-screen in the Carol Channing episode (wher ehe had his later look).
I see... Timmy is more impressing in his later appearance. In fact, the two models are terribly different : size, eyes, general aspect, all is different.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I've read that Nickelodeon cut the At the Dance segment from the Vincent Price epsiode (the only first season At the Dance segment to be cut). But from what I remember, Nickelodeon began airing reruns in April 1994, and that video was released in October 1994. And Nickelodeon didn't air every episode, for some reason. Only 65 episodes were aired on Nickelodeon. I don't know if this was by choice or if Henson forgot to send some of the episodes. I posted a thread about this a long time ago, and somebody posted a list of all the epsiodes that were shown (though there seems to be soem debate over whether the Cleo Lane epsidoe aired on Nickelodeon).
Yep, TMS started airing on Nick in April 1994, once in the morning and once at night (same eps). And I remember reading (probably here) that not every episode aired. I still don't remember Alice Cooper. I must have caught every show that aired on Nick, because I watched it every day from April of '94 (the Elton John show was the first to be shown) until that fall. In fact, the reason why I bought "Monster Laughs" was because it had the Alice Cooper episode, as I hadn't seen it in years.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yep, TMS started airing on Nick in April 1994, once in the morning and once at night (same eps). And I remember reading (probably here) that not every episode aired. I still don't remember Alice Cooper. I must have caught every show that aired on Nick, because I watched it every day from April of '94 (the Elton John show was the first to be shown) until that fall. In fact, the reason why I bought "Monster Laughs" was because it had the Alice Cooper episode, as I hadn't seen it in years.
Actually, the morning shows were the same as the previous nights. I don't know if the first mornign showw as the same as the first night show, but I watched it on the first night it was shown, when Elton John was the guest. I figured that the same epsidoes were shown in the mornign and the day time, until I finally had a day off from school and was able to watch a morning show, where it was the same as the previous nights show.

Not only did Nickelodeon not show every episode, but Nick seemed to show them in a random order. There were a few occasions where Nick shwoed a few episodes in a row in production order (for example, one week showed the Paul Simon, Melissa Manchester, and Tony Randall epsidoes back-to-back-to-back, and the Gene Kelly was once shown on the day before the Loretta Switt episode was shown). As far as I can remember, there wasn't a consistent order for when they were shown/ repeated on Nick.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Actually, the morning shows were the same as the previous nights. I don't know if the first mornign showw as the same as the first night show, but I watched it on the first night it was shown, when Elton John was the guest. I figured that the same epsidoes were shown in the mornign and the day time, until I finally had a day off from school and was able to watch a morning show, where it was the same as the previous nights show.

Not only did Nickelodeon not show every episode, but Nick seemed to show them in a random order. There were a few occasions where Nick shwoed a few episodes in a row in production order (for example, one week showed the Paul Simon, Melissa Manchester, and Tony Randall epsidoes back-to-back-to-back, and the Gene Kelly was once shown on the day before the Loretta Switt episode was shown). As far as I can remember, there wasn't a consistent order for when they were shown/ repeated on Nick.
Yeah, I remember they showed a block of first season episodes in a row. The shows weren't aired in order.

Well, I was in school when the first show aired around 10/10:30 in the morning, so I taped it. It was Elton John. When I tuned in at 7:30, it was Elton John again. But I think once they got rolling, the "new" episodes aired at night, and were repeated the next morning, as you said.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Ah, yes! Thudge McGurk!

Boris Klinger was mentioned by S&W in the Joel Grey ep. 2000 people attended his last performance. Half brought the tar, half brought the feathers.
And you Winslow you brought your voice! You Promissed me your voice remember! :wink:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
And you Winslow you brought your voice! You Promissed me your voice remember! :wink:
Ha! Another fan of POTP, eh? Great!!:smile:

If you see Swan, ask him where Phoenix is...we were supposed to cut a duet together.

Oh, and sorry about Beef, but it had to be done!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember they showed a block of first season episodes in a row. The shows weren't aired in order.
I remember there being "blocks" of certain season episodes. It seems like the second season episodes were shown the most frequently. Back when Nickelodeon aired reruns, I usually only saw the show on Mondays and Fridays, due to homework. I never had homework on fridays, and somehow I was usually able to finish my homework faster on mondays. I did get to see it other nights of the week, but missed it on tuesdays, wednesdays, and thursdays the most.

Not only that, but for the first week it was on Nick, I only saw the monday episode. I missed the friday episode because I had a field trip that caused me to get home after the show was over. But I remember the second epsidoe I saw being the Joel Grey episode, on the second monday of reruns. Though they didn't air in order, the first epsiodes from the first season that I saw were the Joel Grey, Ruth Buzzi, and Rita Moreno epsiodes, and those are in order production-wise. I remember that the fourth or fifth week started showing epsiodes from the third season and fourth season, and then the next week showed some fifth season episodes. There were also other blocks, but it was interesting.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I remember there being "blocks" of certain season episodes. It seems like the second season episodes were shown the most frequently. Back when Nickelodeon aired reruns, I usually only saw the show on Mondays and Fridays, due to homework. I never had homework on fridays, and somehow I was usually able to finish my homework faster on mondays. I did get to see it other nights of the week, but missed it on tuesdays, wednesdays, and thursdays the most.

Not only that, but for the first week it was on Nick, I only saw the monday episode. I missed the friday episode because I had a field trip that caused me to get home after the show was over. But I remember the second epsidoe I saw being the Joel Grey episode, on the second monday of reruns. Though they didn't air in order, the first epsiodes from the first season that I saw were the Joel Grey, Ruth Buzzi, and Rita Moreno epsiodes, and those are in order production-wise. I remember that the fourth or fifth week started showing epsiodes from the third season and fourth season, and then the next week showed some fifth season episodes. There were also other blocks, but it was interesting.
I remember Diana Ross, Roger Moore and Brooke Shields all airing relatively close to one another.

Mad Hatter

Reaction score
It seems liek the Alice Cooper epsiode had more of a science/ science fiction theme, with Muppet Labs and Pigs in Space sketches being included. The toohache sketch looked like it took place on another planet.
That's rather right, I only would precise that it was the frightening side of science-fiction, aliens and paranatural theme (Pigs in Space become empty shapes, and in the Muppet Lab, Beaker is attacked by an enlarged germ).