Voiceless (Dedicated to Richard Hunt)

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------
Fascinating concept...they're NOT puppets, but can't speak without their originators? Neat. That aside, yes, this is a lovely tribute. I didn't know that about Hunt not being able to move Sweetums...how terribly sad. What a horrible disease, robbing its victims of all enjoyment of normal life before taking them down permanently.

Your characterizations looks fine to me. Absolutely heartrending. I imagine Kermit will indeed understand and be able to offer them whatever comfort can be had in such a situation. Well done, Ozy.
-------------------------

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Fascinating concept...they're NOT puppets, but can't speak without their originators? Neat. That aside, yes, this is a lovely tribute. I didn't know that about Hunt not being able to move Sweetums...how terribly sad. What a horrible disease, robbing its victims of all enjoyment of normal life before taking them down permanently.

Your characterizations looks fine to me. Absolutely heartrending. I imagine Kermit will indeed understand and be able to offer them whatever comfort can be had in such a situation. Well done, Ozy.
-------------------------
Thank you. I really do appreciate all of your guy's reviews, and I'm especially glad to know that my characterization is good so far. One of the things I strive for when I'm writing anything (whether it be fanfiction or original works) is to keep everyone in character, so knowing that makes me happy. :smile:

I actually read about Richard Hunt not being able to control Sweetums anymore (though he still recorded his lines) on the Muppet Wiki. It really is sad, isn't it? :frown:

I actually had a bit of an idea of Muppets simply collapsing, being void of a Muppeteer's hands or voice whenever one of the Muppeteers unexpectedly pass away, but then I thought that it would get a bit too silly for a tribute, so 'no voices' it was.

In any case, here's Chapter 4. I'm going to see if I can wrap this up by Christmas, but I don't expect I'll be able to update between now and the 19th because of Finals, Christmas prep and "Grandparents coming to town and using my room" prep.

Chapter 4

“So what do you think?” Fozzie said.

“Of the whole idea, or just you in general?” Kermit said, looking a bit disturbed.

“Erm, the whole idea.” I’ve already got a good idea of what he thinks of me…

“Do you want the truth or a lie?”

Fozzie grinned. “I think I’ll go with a lie.”

“It’s absolutely brilliant! Amazing! It’ll bring the house down!”

Fozzie’s grin melted off his face. “That bad, huh?”

“And expensive.” Kermit rolled his eyes. “Fozzie, where on earth would we have gotten a
paratroupe of monkeys and a year’s supply of chocolate coins?”

“Good point. Ok, how about the Banana Sk—”

“Seriously, don’t even go there.”

“Oh c’mon Kermit! You aren’t making this any easier! Umm…how about a transition skit with a character named Segue the Topic Dog?”

“Hmm… how exactly would that work?”

“Well, it’d go something like—” The door to Kermit’s office creaked as it swung further open. Fozzie smiled.

“Oh good, Scooter’s back with coffee!” He said, turning to face Scooter. He froze, as did Kermit upon seeing the boy.

One hand was gripping the door frame as Scooter stepped across the threshold, his head down, his shoulders slumped. It appeared that some sort of liquid had splashed across the legs of his pants, below the knees, and from the smell of it Fozzie was going to guess it was his coffee. He looked up, and two tears quietly carved a clear path down his face, his mouth tightening into a thin line, trying to keep some semblance of control. The idea that Scooter might’ve badly burned himself crossed Fozzie’s mind for a second. “Scooter? Scooter, what’s wrong?”

Kermit, on the other hand, guessed correctly, and a wave of empathy flowed over him. Just a short while ago, that had been him, lost, shocked, voiceless, and then the mourning. He was still recovering himself, in some ways. And now, here was Scooter, by all accounts going through the same thing. He was so young…Richard was so young, and oh my glory, Kermit knew that he had been in the hospital over the last few days and that there were complications, but he never imagined things would progress so quickly. Sure, it wasn’t as quickly or unexpectedly as Jim, but the death of a loved one was still and would always be a hard thing to go through, especially the death of one’s voice, the one who gave a Muppet their character and personality, one who breathed in new life each and every single act and single day…

“Scooter,” Kermit said, stepping forward, beginning to lift his arms. “Scooter, I’m so sorry…”

The façade shattered. Scooter half ran, half fell forward towards them, his face crumpling, the tears now flowing freely. Kermit grabbed him and wrapped his arms around him as Scooter bent his neck and buried his face into Kermit’s chest. Fozzie realized with a flash of horror and pity what must’ve happened, and he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around the both of them as best as he could. Together, the three of them slid to the floor, hitting their knees with a loud thump. Fozzie had the feeling that, had Scooter the ability to make a sound, his silent cry would have been a high, piercing wail. “It’s ok,” he murmured, trying to remember how Ma Bear had soothed him when he was a cub, “It’s ok, you can cry, shhhh…”

Kermit nodded. He knew his friend’s heart, and at the moment, it was the best they could do.

And so the three of them were when the door banged open and the entire world seemed to rush in all at once.

We Got Us

Reaction score
Oh...my stinking word. My hands are all most shaking to hard to write something here--this is really amazing Osmandyias. Really. Amazing. I hope there's more. Meanwhile, I'm going to go wipe my eyes and listen to some happy music. Wow.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------
Lovely.

And turning from humor to grief so quickly is hard to do...very nice job.
Segue....love it! Perfect. Even better than the Banana Sketch.
-------------------

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Dang, this is bring a tear to my eye. I can truly understand what it's like to lose someone close to your heart. It's a pain that can never go away, it may fade away due to time, but it can never truly go away. :embarrassed:

Please do keep up the good work upon such a tragic story.

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Wow. I didn't know I'd missed this chapter...Ozy, that was once again, Beautiful. Poor Scooter. I noticed you finished Finals, Congrats!:news: So I wait patiently for more, kay?:drool::jim:

Ozymandias

Reaction score
@ We Got Us, Newsmanfan, mbmfrog and bouncingbabyfig: THANK YOU! :big_grin: You have no idea how much your words mean to me, and I really appreciate the comments. Yes, my evil finals are OVER, which means I now have time to write again! Huzzah!

Segue the Talking Dog and the Talking Dasani are copyright my awesome English 206 class, who had more awesome running jokes than you could shake a stick at. XD I could write an entire book on how awesome that class was.

And yes, I did coincide this chapter for this to be my 100th post. :smile: Merry Christmas everyone!

And now, without further ado, Chapter 4! Enjoy, everybody!

Chapter 4

Beaker and Janice took one look at Scooter and stopped, their eyes widening half in shock, half in realization that this was actually happening. Moments later, they scooted to the side as the rest of the Electric Mayhem, Bunsen, Gonzo and Rowlf all ran into the room at once, jamming in through the door as best they could. Immediately, several voices rose in both query and protest at stomped on toes, and the confusion grew and intensified in Kermit’s small office, not meant to hold this many Muppets at once.

“Beaker! Beaker, why’d you run off like that? What’s wrong?” Bunsen inquired, stepping forward, but suddenly being yanked back by Gonzo’s hand on his shoulder. Beaker did not respond, and the red-headed scientist seemed to be rooted to the spot. Gonzo shook his head. The blue-nosed whateer-he-was had taken one look at Scooter and had realized what must’ve happened. “Questions can come later.” He hissed into Bunsen’s ear.

“But Beaker just…”

“Look, just shut up will you? I’ll explain later.” Bunsen frowned, but fell quiet.

“Janice? Janice baby, speak to me!”

“Oh my gosh, I know this.” Dr. Teeth half-muttered, half-wailed. “This is just like Jim all over again.” With Janice’s voice gone, The Electric Mayhem were once again stuck in a vocal rut, but right now that was the least of their worries.

“What’s wrong with Scooter?”

“JA-NICE! JA-NICE!”

“I wish there was something we could do.”

“Would somebody please tell me what’s going on?” Bunsen asked no one in particular.

“Out of the way! Move it!”

Miss Piggy had arrived on the scene, shoving several people aside and was now standing in front of the trio. Her eyebrows soared at the near prone form of Scooter. “Kermie, I demand an explanation for this!” She exclaimed, looking concerned. More Muppets, hearing the din, came running and crowding into the office to see what was happening, and Kermit’s temper was growing shorter. They didn’t need this!

“Get back…” He muttered, keeping his head down. His arms tightened around Scooter’s shoulders. The boy was barely aware of what was happening around him.

Fozzie heard him. In a flash, he was up on top of Kermit’s desk, crouched over, searching the desk for something he could—ah! There we go! He straightened, planting his feet precariously on a pile of papers in an authoritative pose, put his fingers to his mouth and let out an ear-piercing whistle. Everyone shut up immediately.

“Everyone,” Fozzie roared, holding out a half-filled water bottle. “I HAVE THE TALKING DASANI!”

The Muppets (sans Scooter and Bunsen, who could not blink as he technically had no eyes) simultaneously blinked, looking confused.

“Only the Muppet with the Talking Dasani Bottle is allowed to speak, and right now, that’s me!” Fozzie said, thrilled that he now had all their attention.

“But how’s that supposed to—” Floyd asked.

“IHAVETHETALKINGDASANI!” Fozzie roared, thrusting the bottle forward for emphasis. Floyd shut up, sufficiently cowed.

“I will now give the Talking Dasani Bottle to Kermit, who will give further instructions.” Fozzie crouched down and handed the bottle to Kermit, who looked grateful and slightly amused.

“Er, right. Thog, please go and set up the TV on the stage.” A confirmation from the Newsman would be useful. “Janice, Beaker…oh good, Sweetums is here too.” The frog nodded to the lumbering giant who was now framing the doorway. “You guys stay with me for a few minutes. I would like to have a word with you. Everyone else,” Kermit said, looking up at Miss Piggy for emphasis, “Go to the auditorium and take your seats. That means everyone, so spread the word. I’ll meet you guys there in ten minutes.”

Nobody moved.

“That’s an order.” The frog said flatly.

There was a shuffling of feet, and almost everyone filed out, stymied. Fozzie hopped off the desk and gave Kermit a long look, then walked out the door. Beaker was still standing stock still, but Janice had walked over to him and had taken his arm to steady him. Or, at least that’s how she justified it in her mind as the shock slowly changed to grief.

Rowlf was about to leave, but Kermit cleared his throat. “Rowlf, could you please stay?”

“Why, sure!” Rowlf said, padding in and standing to attention.

Kermit nodded to Scooter, whose shoulders were now shaking erratically. “Take him, please.” He said. Rowlf’s nails clicked against the floorboards as he strolled over, gently putting a paw on the lad’s shoulder.

“Scooter,” he murmured, his voice rough in the silence of the room. “Come on soldier boy, on your feet. We’re still here for you.”

Scooter paused, then rocked back away from Kermit on his heels and shakily stood to his feet. He swayed for a moment, and Rowlf put one paw on his elbow and another one on his shoulder to steady him. Scooter nodded gratefully, and then stood on Kermit’s right, desperately scrubbing the tears from his cheeks, but to no avail.

“Sweetums, please shut the door.” Kermit said, scrambling to his feet and brushing the dampness off of his chest. The giant complied. Kermit took a deep breath to clear his mind, then spoke.

“Now, first of all, I am certain that you have all figured out what has happened. If you haven’t please raise your hand now and I will explain it to you.”

Nobody moved.

“Good. I just want to tell you all, right now, that I am so sorry for your loss. It must’ve been a terrible shock to have to find out in such a manner, and I know that you must be in a lot of pain right now. Richard was so loved.” Kermit’s voice caught slightly at that, and he cleared his throat. His sadness could wait. “He was deeply loved, and he will be missed.”

Beaker nodded, tears welling up in his bulbous eyes.

“Secondly, welcome to the ‘My Muppeteer Died’ club. I know that might sound a bit crass or harsh,” The frog said as Janice, Beaker and Scooter started. “But hear me out. When my Muppeteer passed away last year, I was devastated, as was Rowlf, The Swedish Chef, Dr. Teeth, Sam, Waldorf and…hang on, am I forgetting anyone?”

“Link and the Newsman.” Rowlf said.

“Right, right, thank you. Anyways, what we did to help us through that is give love and support to one another as best we could under the circumstances, and accept it from all others who offered it. One of the things that came out of all of this was the ‘My Muppeteer Died’ club, and that kind of became much more than just a running joke we all originally had, and became our way of dealing with our pain and gaining a sense of closure. We were the founding members, if you will, and now you’ve joined us.

What I’m saying here, is that we’ve been there, and if you have any questions about your current state, or just need somebody who will understand and who will be there for you or even cry with you, come to any of us. Janice, Dr. Teeth’s been there, and Beaker, Bunsen might not be much help under the circumstances, but the Swedish Chef should be. Scooter, Sweetums, same goes for you guys. You can come to any of us at any time, and under the circumstances, we will make time for you. Also, you have each other.

Finally,” Here Kermit cleared his throat, and then blinked as he realized he was still holding the Talking Dasani Bottle. Sheepishly, he put it down on the desk. “In the days to come, you may feel lost, scared, like life has lost meaning…and that you are alone.

Look around you. Look at me, and Rowlf. You are not alone. I can’t say this enough. You are not alone, we truly appreciate every single one of you, and, above all, we love you. You are part of our Muppet family, and we will be there for you.That’s…well, that’s all I have to say, really.” Kermit finished lamely.

Sweetums stepped forward, and, to Kermit’s surprise, swept Janice and Beaker into his long, hairy arms and beckoned for Scooter to come forward. The boy ran, and within moments the four survivors had fallen together into a group hug, their tears flowing freely. Though his heart broke for them, Kermit couldn’t help but smile at the sight. Maybe…maybe things wouldn’t be so bad after all.

“When you’re ready,” he said, beckoning to Rowlf, “Come out to the auditorium. We’ll make sure nobody bothers you just yet.”

Frog and dog left, the door ajar, revealing the four of them, still standing there, their arms around one another.

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Oh. Oh thank you Ozy! It reminds how special life is and how we should spend each moment with the people we truly love and care about. Have a merry Christmas. The only thing is, Sam the eagle was performed by Frank Oz if I remember correctly, though I could be wrong...
:embarrassed: