Wall-E: The thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm I wasn't sure about this film, but I'm definitely intrigued now!

And if WalMart puts this film on its shelves that will be a cruel joke on us all...

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Hmm I wasn't sure about this film, but I'm definitely intrigued now!

And if WalMart puts this film on its shelves that will be a cruel joke on us all...
Yeah! The Irony of it all, heh!

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Saw it last night. It was cute, but I found it a little boring.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I figured out the one improvement that would have made Wall-E worked even better for my taste. They totally should have "Charlie Browned" the people (in other words, their dialogue should have been unintelligible to the audience and their faces would not be seen). There were ways to tell the story without that. The Wall-E and Eve parts are what drive the film. I still love the movie. I just think that could have bumped it up my list to second rather than third fave.
I see what your getting at, and I could see it work... but then the real message of the movie wouldn't have had the same impact. To me, the movie was 2 messages. one about the romance between Eve and WallE, and the not so cuddly second one about how putting off Earth's probles until tommorrow is dangerous, as tommorrow always comes.

And when I first heard about the 400 pound humans with melting bone structures, I thought they'd be horrible monsters. And they turn out to be actual relatable humans. The fact they are relatable and personable turns the message into a freidnly warning, and not a Captain planet style Scared Straight approach.

I think all the scenes with the captian finding out human's folly, and discovering what he's been missing his entire life is one of the best parts of the movie. And his heroic actions spoke to the character and the audience. You CAN change things. it's not easy, but it has to be done.

While I could agree with you that it would work well without the dialogue, it just wouldn't have that human emotional impact that makes it relatable.

Though I do think they explored that concept early on.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
While I could agree with you that it would work well without the dialogue, it just wouldn't have that human emotional impact that makes it relatable.

Though I do think they explored that concept early on.
I just don't find the (non Brad Bird project) Pixar animated humans relatable at all. My idea is mostly based on making out the form, an arm, a leg etc of the humans rather than having them pop up and talk and explain their part in the exposition. The robot portions didn't need that and I don't think the humans did either. There are more clever ways of storytelling in that area. I believe they went this less interesting rout out of concern that there needed to be more dialog and more literal statements of the film's message to grab the attention of the ADD crowd (not unlike the humans in the film). :wink:

It still worked. I just thought they should have gone all the way with the tone and structure set at the beginning of the movie.

Luke

Reaction score
OMG OMG - just saw this and beautiful classic film, lovely animation, lovely storytelling. A little different to what kids are used to, but interesting enough visually and with story quirks to hopefully keep them interested. The use of Hello Dolly excerpts was genius too - gives a whole flavor of what Earth used to be like (even for us now).

Just a shame i cant see any way they could make a Wall-E 2!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
OMG OMG - just saw this and beautiful classic film, lovely animation, lovely storytelling. A little different to what kids are used to, but interesting enough visually and with story quirks to hopefully keep them interested. The use of Hello Dolly excerpts was genius too - gives a whole flavor of what Earth used to be like (even for us now).

Just a shame i cant see any way they could make a Wall-E 2!
You know, I think Pixar should continue to use Wall-E for animated short subjects. The shorts that promoted the film were priceless. I see him as a Chaplinesque figurehead for Pixar like Luxo Jr.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, I think Pixar should continue to use Wall-E for animated short subjects. The shorts that promoted the film were priceless. I see him as a Chaplinesque figurehead for Pixar like Luxo Jr.
I'm so glad someone else made the connection. When I first saw WallE promos, I just saw some of Luxo in him. The same child-like reactions to things, the interactions... definately Luxo was given a brand new lease as WallE.

Luke

Reaction score
Great idea, either in shorts before other Pixar movies or maybe for a shorts DVD. I saw the toys today, the figures and the robot - really cool and well done.

I did feel they ripped off Short Circuit a lot, the googly eyes, the building himself from spare parts bit, the way he looked at the bug, his dancing from an old movie - i think even the makers have acknowledged now there's a lot of influence but it's cool as kids wouldn't even know Johnny 5.

RL4422

Reaction score
I loved it as well. I am always first in line for every Pixar movie. Last year I had to take my 3 year old niece with me to see Ratatouille because nobody else wanted to go with me. Luckily my husband wanted to see Wall-E with me. We both loved it! I have been waiting patiently ever since I saw the superbowl commercial. I even sent out a bulletin at work they already think I'm crazy. Software developers... :smile: Haha.

Wall-E for president! :big_grin: