Wall-E: The thread

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Yep, what Steve said above. I agree that the delicate subject was handled very well. I also commented to him as we were leaving that the message was perfect timing considring the whole "green" movement that is so big right now. And I didn't see it as much a love story, as a message story about things could go if we're not careful. I felt that the love story was a very big part of the plot, but I didn't see it marketed as such. If though I did get a kick out of the musical movie/theatre reference.:sing:

Although why does everyone keeping forgetting the Pixar film Dinosaur? It's one of my favorites!:confused:
Dinosaur is not a Pixar film. It's Disney. No Pixar involvement that I know of.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And Pixar would have done something good with Dinosaur. That one was pointless and it almost put me to sleep.

But WALL E did about 63 million. What do they expect? Nemo opened during a summer with no hit films, and the Incredibles was during the Thanksgiving holiday movie season.

Seriously. it's like if a movie doesn't make 18 times its value on opening day, it's a failure now.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
My brothers saw dinosaur but I didn't. But it's a common mistake as Pixar does specialize in 3D films.

Seriously. it's like if a movie doesn't make 18 times its value on opening day, it's a failure now.
I know what you mean. Movies used to take up to a year sometimes before they were considered a hit at one point in time and now they have to be over night. I always go by the old say that it's not where you start that's important, it's about where and how you finish the job. I am looking forward to Thursday and this weekend for this movie to do really well and the rest of its release also. It's a big weekend for movies this week obviously. And people forget that with First streak Movie that it did better in its second week against major competition than it did in its first. But there is enouhg to go around as I have seen it happen many a time over again.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wall-E's box office is still seen as very impressive. Most films don't open anywhere near $63M. Even compared to other Pixar or Disney animated pictures it's quite good. Wall-E wasn't a runaway-train-full-of-money success, just a crowd-pleasing-fantastic success.

Also, let's not forget Wall-E will have an eternal shelf-life on home video formats. That's where the real money is made. Even the dismal flop Speed Racer will probably turn a profit after a few months on DVD. Think of what Wall-E will rake-in!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I saw this movie today. It just completely wrecked me. I was crying within the first 15 minutes and I didn't stop until about 20 minutes after it ended. It is the most powerful movie I have seen in a long time. Don't judge it by the fact that it is an animation; it is a dystopian science fiction movie with a mission and a message that is like a slap in the face. It upset me because of it's unapologetic vision of the future. This movie is absolutely amazing and necessary in today's world. I probably won't sleep for a few days but it reiterates what we all already know; we have to take care of each other and the planet and do it now.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I just think Well-E needs a little bit of time and that it is a major competitor. But it was not bad box office at all but this is Disney were talking about here. It just cam out so I would still give it time. I mean big weekend don' not always equate to success in the long run. There's just no way of really telling, but final results speak for themselves and I think that no matter how it end up that this will not have done bad in the least bit. But no doubt it will do well on DVD.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, let's not forget Wall-E will have an eternal shelf-life on home video formats. That's where the real money is made. Even the dismal flop Speed Racer will probably turn a profit after a few months on DVD. Think of what Wall-E will rake-in!

All I can say about Speed Racer is it's no wonder why most cartoon based live action movies have DTV/ Telefilm crappy cheap budgets. No matter how much care you try to put into the look, no one wants to see it anyway. So you might as well cheap out. Look at Underdog.

But you also forget the Merchandising is a factor too. Of course, the only place that sells the merchandise I've seen is KB Toys. I wouldn't be surprised that big stores like Wal*Mart would shun merchandising for a movie that pretty much says how bad they are.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised that big stores like Wal*Mart would shun merchandising for a movie that pretty much says how bad they are.
Yeah I know. When they say that Labou unions are a bad thing, it's not wonder they are the biggest company in the world.:stick_out_tongue: It's funny because they still see Disney related merchandise.:smirk: