Wall-E: The thread

Luke

Reaction score
Movies sounding great, can't wait to see it!

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Just got back from seeing the movie. And I LOVED it! That movie was so cute!

And... now, I'm thinking of a Robo-Muppets project. Yeah, I'm that crazy. :stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
A- From the Frogboy

:search: My new personal preference of Pixar films is as follows:
The Incredibles (A+), Ratatouille (A), WALL-E (A-), Finding Nemo (A-), Monsters, Inc. (B), Toy Story 2 (B), Toy Story (B-), A Bug's Life (C).

:flirt: So yes, I loved Wall-E! I just liked Brad Bird's Incredibles and Ratatouille a little more, but that's all really apples and oranges. They are all different genre films that happen to be animated and from the same company. To compare them much more than that would be to treat animation as a genre - which it is not.

The message in this film is indeed heavy-handed. It doesn't offend me and it's about time a respected company made a film like this for a general audience palette. When Nancy Pelosi is doing PSAs with Newt Gingrich it is clear that something's up with the environment and we need to change the way we live for our future. There is a bit of cheese involved in such a message so that fell to Fred Willard's silliness to play it up instead of trying to cleverly conceal any intentions on Pixar's part.

Nonetheless, to me it was all about the love story. It has been a long time since seeing a film with this level of sweetness and that is what will be remembered most.

So it didn't quite kick Kung Fu Panda butt, but it is projected to make $62.5M this weekend to Panda's $60.2M. It is a busy Pride weekend for many moviegoers in the Bay Area (where this film was made) but I don't think that makes too much of a difference in box office receipts. I ambitiously predicted $70M, but the film still opened strong. I won't likely be seeing a repeat viewing unless my partner uses his own Wall-E eyes to convince me. It's a definite DVD and Blu-ray buy.

Wall-E Coming to home video specially priced at Buy N Large this Christmas! :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I listened to it and I really don't care what you think about my wake up call. Doesn't it make you want to do SOMETHING about our wonderful planet?
That wasn't quite the point I was making. There will always be someone who's willing to listen, and then there's always someone who won't listen no matter how hard you shout at them. I'm really hoping it will open some eyes, but I doubt it would be enough to make a difference.

But then again, the movie didn't tell me anything I wasn't already aware of. Our culture has become about consumer goods, and from large sources that keep them cheap (due to various shady practices). We're looking into huge monopolies and trusts that would scare the crud out of Teddy Roosevelt. And of course, we value our laziness over our protections of the environment. Not to mention that everyone is just so oblivious too.

I think it had sort of a Lorax like story, and it ended with the message, it takes hope, vision and power to change things back the way they were.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
So it didn't quite kick Kung Fu Panda butt, but it is projected to make $62.5M this weekend to Panda's $60.2M.
You know? I am looking for Wednesday and Friday for this movie to perform well as well as the rest of the weekend too.

There will always be someone who's willing to listen, and then there's always someone who won't listen no matter how hard you shout at them.
Yeah, but there are some people who are tired of others shouting at them, too.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Saw it last night, it was very cute and honest about the way things have been going on our planet.

Spoiler warning...

I loved the Twinkly bit because that is so true, those things could last forever! Yucka!:grouchy:

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Ashley and I saw it Friday night. We were both very excited to see it, and I don't think either of us were disappointed. I had a few doubts in the back of my mind that they could tell a compelling story in the first half of the movie with no dialogue, but what they did exceeded all expectations. I was also a little wary of being preached to about the environment, but even this subject I thought was handled very gracefully. It isn't a preachy movie, but it does give an indication of where things could go if left unchecked. All in all I highly recommend the movie, although maybe not for really young kids; the lack of lots of action at the beginning might lose their attention. Then again what do I know, they might love it too!

JubileePink

Reaction score
Yep, what Steve said above. I agree that the delicate subject was handled very well. I also commented to him as we were leaving that the message was perfect timing considring the whole "green" movement that is so big right now. And I didn't see it as much a love story, as a message story about things could go if we're not careful. I felt that the love story was a very big part of the plot, but I didn't see it marketed as such. If though I did get a kick out of the musical movie/theatre reference.:sing:

Although why does everyone keeping forgetting the Pixar film Dinosaur? It's one of my favorites!:confused: