Wanted: Wizard World Dr. Teeth

Raw the Dog

Reaction score
If anyone has an extra wizard world dr. Teeth they would like to sell, let me know. Also looking for Sam Eagle shifty eyes.

Dearth

Reaction score
Good luck in your search. He's not a cheap figure to find, but that doesn't mean you have to pay the inflated prices.

I originally saw no appeal to the color scheme of the figure, but that was probably sour grapes since I hadn't been collecting the line when he was available.

Once I began trying to acquire some of the harder-to-find figures, I saw one of these go on eBay for only $50, and that became my 'most I will pay' mental limit for him.

Then I began seeing everyone asking triple, even quadruple for that, but I never could justify the expenditure for something that was the SAME MOLD in different colors as a really common figure.

Eventually I bought a spare regular Dr. Teeth and hand-painted it to match some really helpful pics of a WW variant found online. That satisfied my craving for a while.

Then one day, I lucked upon a *prototype* WW Dr. Teeth figure on eBay, with a Buy It Now of $50-- my original upper limit!-- and snapped it up. I also bought a prototype white shirt Lips from the same seller.

In the auction description it said that the feather to his hat was missing, but when I opened the package and was removing him from the packing material, it tumbled out loose and was easily reinserted into the hole. Maybe it had been stuck inside his jacket or something, and the seller just didn't see it, but I was understandably even happier with the purchase than I expected to be.

Here's a comparison of my custom-painted one (l) to the prototype (r):

I had printed out those online reference pics as a guide to buying specific colors of paint, but compared to the real production piece, you can see there's only so much you can tell from a photograph.

Besides the colors being off, I made the furry collar one solid color, whereas on the real piece it's a two-tone dry-brush sort of application.

I do like my drybrush on the boots better than their solid brown, and my cummerbund design is neater (on the real figures each one had a hand-painted unique cummerbund) but in almost every other detail I prefer the real piece to my custom.

Even the proto's keyboard looks better. I removed the keys themselves from a regular black keyboard for Dr. Teeth, spray-painted the casing, did the detail areas at top by hand, then reattached the keys. But as you can see, the production paint app on the black keys was really sloppy on my regular Teeth, and the keys of the prototype WW Dr. Teeth are very crisp.

Now that I own one, the odd deco colors don't seem as off-putting as they once did. He's probably one of my favorite pieces now.

Anyway, just wanted to share my tale. I still say this figure isn't 'worth' some of the prices that folks ask. It has no uniquely sculpted elements, as you can see by comparing a painted regular Teeth to the variant. It's JUST a different coat of paint, so don't pay more than what you think it's worth.

And if you have to pass some up because they're over that limit, don't despair. Be patient, and eventually you too will find the thing you want at the price you want. Good luck!

Alex

Raw the Dog

Reaction score
Oh cool man, nice figures. Yeah, I used to actually own the variant when series one came out, and I think I paid like $75 or so for it back then. I had to sell my collection off, but now I'm recollecting again. There's just no way I can justify paying $300 like the one guy is asking on eBay right now. It's ridiculous, and he's just gonna keep relisting it if he doesn't realistically come down a bit. I've gotten some rare exclusives for like $30 - $40....heck I got invisible Fozzie for $1 in the box, haha. It's just a matter of patience like you said. Just thought I'd ask the Muppet community if anyone had one they were looking to sell, cause I saw a few posts on here of people who did a few months ago. Thanks for the pics, they look cool.